Sony PS3 Q+A (Leaked)

Titanio said:
Technically you could indicate up to 16, but I think it'll just be showing you which of the 4 wireless players you are with one light illuminated ;)
But what If you are player 5,6, or 7? It does support up to 7 via bluetooth correct?

Bad_Boy said:
But what If you are player 5,6, or 7? It does support up to 7 via bluetooth correct?

7 bluetooth devices. I think they're going to limit it to 4 bluetooth controllers, though. +4 connected with wires = 8 (for maybe the 3 games that ever allow 8 players ;)). Leaving 3 slots open for other bluetooth devices like headsets etc. That's my guess anyway.

Titanio said:
7 bluetooth devices. I think they're going to limit it to 4 bluetooth controllers, though. +4 connected with wires = 8 (for maybe the 3 games that ever allow 8 players ;)). Leaving 3 slots open for other bluetooth devices like headsets etc. That's my guess anyway.

Mine too.

Hey, that DNLA is interesting. It definitely makes a whole lot of sense for that to become a big thing, like access points in the home have become recently.

I agree that this Q&A is something they should have released as marketing material itself, like a PS3 brochure ...

Rockster said:
Q20. You had previously announced that there would be two HDMI ports, but why does the PS3 with the 20GB HDD not have a HDMI port ? Can Blu-ray content be enjoyed in high quality graphics without HDMI ?
A20. High quality HD images can be enjoyed equally with the 20GB HDD product via the AV multi port (1080p output is also possible with the TV equipped with the D5 input). Analog output from BD will be supported until 2011 and all software published until they can be enjoyed. Standardization of visual image output via home network (e.g. DLNA) is also currently under way.
This was the tidbit I found most interesting.
Same here, it has been reported for quite a while now, but if even Sony states so (assuming it's not a fake).. Also interesting are the statements that you can use standard periphery like card readers and wifi dongles. Then why would I need the 60GB Version? I'd be perfectly happy with a 20GB Version. For the saved 100€ you can get a 120GB 2,5" HDD, a card reader is lying around here and a wifi dongle is pretty cheap too. I could hold out for like 2,3 years with bd output over component till the hd(bd?) standalone players are reasonably cheap.
The 60GB version is pointless to me now. :eek:

If you want anything more than the extra capacity - i.e. wifi/card-readers, hdmi - the 60GB version isn't so pointless. Unless you have any of those things lying around the house, I kind of doubt you could get all those things at less than $100 (well, going by newegg prices), plus you also have the HDMI. So it's not really pointless. But if you just want the extra HDD capacity, then yeah, you'd be better off with the 20GB pack and upgrading ($75 on newegg for a 60GB 2.5" SATA, and you could ebay your 20GB HDD if it's just a standard drive, so perhaps net cost would be $50).

I am seriously considering the 20GB pack myself, depending on availability, and what promotional offers might come available (e.g. if there was a preorder deal like in Germany, no question, I'd get the 60GB pack). It'll be very interesting to compare the packs closer i.e. 20GB + upgrades or 60GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
If you want anything more than the extra capacity - i.e. wifi/card-readers, hdmi - the 60GB version isn't so pointless. Unless you have any of those things lying around the house, I kind of doubt you could get all those things at less than $100 (well, going by newegg prices), plus you also have the HDMI. So it's not really pointless. But if you just want the extra HDD capacity, then yeah, you'd be better off with the 20GB pack and upgrading ($75 on newegg for a 60GB 2.5" SATA, and you could ebay your 20GB HDD if it's just a standard drive, so perhaps net cost would be $50).

That said, I am seriously considering the 20GB pack myself, depending on availability, and what promotional offers might come available (e.g. if there was a preorder deal like in Germany, no question, I'd get the 60GB pack).
That's right, but the difference here in germany is 100€ and a 120GB HDD costs about 100 €. A wifi dongle is super cheap as is a card reader + I could sell the 20gb hdd on ebay. So for a little more than the price of a 60GB PS3 I'd get a 120GB PS3 :D and as the bd-playback is not restricted for a long time (at least the time for bd-players to get cheap) I really don't see a point for me in buying a 60GB PS3.
yay thx for posting the news!

ElStupido said:
The 60GB version is pointless to me now. :eek:
Well, good for you then! :D

As for me, I'd rather have everything built-in rather than external wifi and card reader (assuming I'd ever use those features). I've had a card reader lying around and collecting dust here on my desk, I'd rather not go back to that again. I also need the HDMI output, because DVI is the only video input still available on my TV.

Besides, the chrome trimmings on the 120GB version looks nice... Heh heh.

Shifty Geezer said:
Are those chrome trimmings still there? This Q&A suggests they're only going with black.

Both are "clear black", but the 60GB version does indeed have the chrome trimming.

Okay, he was just talking about the white and silver versions shown not being available at launch. That's nice to here. The black and chrome does look better IMO, and you want to show off you have the full PS3 :p

fireshot said:
The world already have Windows and Mac, do we need a Playstation?

Cell/RSX missing clockspeed (they showed the XDR/GDDR3 clockspeed) @ E3

Yesterday's topic about Cell low yield

I wonder if they are keeping their options open to a lower clock PS3 (orr a watercooled PS3 :D)?
I doubt we'll ever see clockspeed listed for PS3 ever again. They don't even have it listed on the new official PS3 specs sheet. I find it suspcious that Sony doesn't know the Cell or the RSX clockspeeds even when those components are now being mass produced as we speak. Both are being swept under the rug so to speak. What is Sony trying to hide?

Heck, we actually know less about RSX than we knew last year. I doubt that will change.

Q12. Will the network service be charged ?
A12. Basic services available free for current PCs will be free of charge but content and specific services will be charged from the beginning.

Lets see how this turns out. I have a feeling they'll follow the Xbox live model and when asked "why are people paying to play online?"

you'll get something like "a lot of PC games have monthly online play but with PS3 Online you only pay once instead of each game" and the childern will nod their heads accordingly going "Wow! Thanks Sony!"

Arsynic said:
I doubt we'll ever see clockspeed listed for PS3 ever again. They don't even have it listed on the new official PS3 specs sheet. I find it suspcious that Sony doesn't know the Cell or the RSX clockspeeds even when those components are now being mass produced as we speak. Both are being swept under the rug so to speak. What is Sony trying to hide?

Heck, we actually know less about RSX than we knew last year. I doubt that will change.
"Hiding" the tech specs seem to be the current trend of console manufacturers.
You don't find any technical specs from Microsoft's xbox360 site (I'm directed to the finnnish site, might be different in other countries), the HDD size seems to be the only technical data you can find, no clockspeeds listed there, no resolutions, no memory size...
I bet you won't be seeing any on the official Wii site either.

There's a lot of technical data on PS3 site compared to that, so there should be, being a computer and all ;)
RobertR1 said:
A12. Basic services available free for current PCs will be free of charge but content and specific services will be charged from the beginning.

Lets see how this turns out. I have a feeling they'll follow the Xbox live model and when asked "why are people paying to play online?"

you'll get something like "a lot of PC games have monthly online play but with PS3 Online you only pay once instead of each game" and the childern will nod their heads accordingly going "Wow! Thanks Sony!"
Why would they, especially as they've clearly stated otherwise on several occasions.
They'll charge for music, and high res video downloads that's for sure, and "extra content" for 1st party games and "Live Arcade" type games.

Some third party games will surely have a monthly fee too.

People are more happy to spent on various online shops if they're integrated to the system and games and if there's no additional monthly fee. It'd be like being charged for entering your local supermarket, and that'd feel cheap.

The shops and marketplaces have a chance to be a much bigger source of money than charging for online play. Especially for Sony who have their own music and movies.
If they'd be very greedy, then they'd might put an additional monthly fee on the online services, but I just don't believe they'd have lied so straight-faced about it all this time.

There'll be monthly fees for several games too, but that's up to the publishers.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
"Hiding" the tech specs seem to be the current trend of console manufacturers.
You don't find any technical specs from Microsoft's xbox360 site (I'm directed to the finnnish site, might be different in other countries), the HDD size seems to be the only technical data you can find, no clockspeeds listed there, no resolutions, no memory size...
I bet you won't be seeing any on the official Wii site either.
It's all there:
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/xbox360/benefits/powerplay.htm

Here's the same page for Finland:
http://www.xbox.com/fi-FI/hardware/xbox360/benefits/powerplay.htm

RobertR1 said:

It seems your imagination describes what Microsoft want to believe ;)

Once Microsoft tried to implement Hailstorm to collect and control all personal information inside the .NET framework with Microsoft Passport as the single-signon key. But Liberty Alliance countered it and eventually Hailstorm was killed. But it still lives in Xbox Live where Microsoft can control everything except for special exceptions such as FF11 and EA servers.

The PR in this industry is just getting worse. Is it like this in any other tech space? eg. In the 'specs' they have a section The Competition? Meh with a link to the MS created Major Nelson breakdown.
Do you get this for TVs? Does Samsung post specs on their TV and then link to critiques of Toshiba's? Do Dell's PC website have comments on the inferiority of HP's? If you pop onto a Roland keyboard website to read it's features, are you given a brief editorial on the lacking in Yamaha's products? Or cars? Does Ford slag of GM and vice versa?

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with the modern world, but I thought products were advertised as what they are, not what their competition is. It's puerile and embarrassing how these companies are bitching at the moment. Nintendo aren't quite so bad, but they take a swipe every now and then. MS and Sony OTOH are shameful. It all makes me grumpy :(

Sonys online service will be free according to Sony but content will cost, right?
MS service is that you pay a fee but there are content that is free, right?

It is basically the same thing. "ALL" content you download on Sonys service will probably be fee-based but onlineplay seems to be free whereas for MS, you pay to play games but you there are lots of content that is free of charge.

How will Sony handle for example game-demos like MS have? Los planet was a popular download during E3 and that was free of charge, will Sony make people pay to download game demos? could be...

It seems pretty even steven here... but at least MS has delivered a very good service while Sony has still lot to prove..

EndR said:

Demos are free, but most of everything else costs.

EndR said:
How will Sony handle for example game-demos like MS have? Los planet was a popular download during E3 and that was free of charge, will Sony make people pay to download game demos? could be...

I very much doubt it. That's one of the things you get for free in the PC space that Sony so often likes to compare to, and PSP game demos have been free.

I think the difference here is that Sony sees all of their revenue potential in content/ads whereas MS sees that potential but also wants a bankable subscription fee.

EndR said:
Sonys online service will be free according to Sony but content will cost, right?

It is basically the same thing. "ALL" content you download on Sonys service will probably be fee-based but onlineplay seems to be free whereas for MS, you pay to play games but you there are lots of content that is free of charge.
No. On Live! some services like messenging and content like demo's are free. Other content like extra levels or games or armour for your horse costs money. Online gaming requires a subscription to MS, and in some cases a subscription to the game, such as MMOs.

On PS3's service, as it's been explained (and presumably subject to change), access to services like messenging and demo downloads would be free. Other content like extra levels or games or head scarfs for your avatar would cost money. Online gaming would also be free except in some cases where a subscription to the game is required by the develop, such as MMOs.

eg. On PS2 you could play CON or SOCOM for free online, or pay a subscription to play FFXI. On PC you could play GW or NWN for free, or pay a subscription to play WOW. You also don't have to pay to play DS or PSP games online. On Live!, you have to pay a monthly or annual subscription to play any online games save some free weekends and other promos, and I think there it's unique.

Back