Sony: Press Conference & Tokyo Game Show

The game plan for both MS and Sony right now seems to be cranking out 800k units per month and pricing them to sell, possibly adding a 3rd production line after a process shrink, thereby taking advantage of lower cost designs this generation.

This would put them both in the 100 million unit range instead of the 80 million units they produced this time around.

The game plan for both MS and Sony right now seems to be cranking out 800k units per month and pricing them to sell, possibly adding a 3rd production line after a process shrink, thereby taking advantage of lower cost designs this generation.

This would put them both in the 100 million unit range instead of the 80 million units they produced this time around.

Both would need to cut prices quicker this gen though. xbox 360 is in its 8th year and still is $200 for the cheap package just a $100 price cut in 8 years. Its really quite impressive.

I have a feeling this will be PS2 all over again. If the PS4 is going to do a 3:1 ratio over it's competitors again then I am pretty sure we will see the return of the 3rd party exclusive

It wont. MS will pay in the states to have it on ellen and other shows , they are already the only console on toy's r us Christmas wish list. In the states at least the xbox one will be huge .

Sony would be more than happy to go back to the 2:1 dominance era. ;) Anyway i don't see, even if PS4 crushed XB1 in sales outside the US, 3rd parties going exclusive. Specially now both consoles are a lot similar and porting should be way easier than in previous generations.

I see Sony helping out developers in that case, funding part of the development cost, and aiding development in a way that the game uses (near) 100% of all the extra PS4 functions so that any port after the 1/2-1 year exclusivity would be a severe downgrade, if not impossible.

Both would need to cut prices quicker this gen though. xbox 360 is in its 8th year and still is $200 for the cheap package just a $100 price cut in 8 years. Its really quite impressive.

they are already the only console on toy's r us Christmas wish list.

that's only possible because Xbox1 is still not sold out in the US. You can't have any console on a Christmas wish list if it won't be available until after Christmas now can you? ;)

edit: okay I didn't know that, but my reasoning was still correct I think :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Sony helping out developers in that case, funding part of the development cost, and aiding development in a way that the game uses (near) 100% of all the extra PS4 functions so that any port after the 1/2-1 year exclusivity would be a severe downgrade, if not impossible.

Is sony in a postion to make money hats ? They are barely posting profits as a whole , it would more likely be this scenario (if the ps4 is indeed powerfull enough to show a sizable difference) MS pays for port parity and exclusivity for X amount of months , no one cares when the game hits ps4. See the upcoming titan fall as an example. MS helps fund the game , gets a large exclusive. People will most likely be talking about titan fall 2 before the ps4 gets the game.

If ms does enough of this in years 1-3 then there may not be a sales advantage for sony in a lot of areas.

But that's assuming the ps4 has an advantage a consumer can actually see on screen. IF its as close as I've been told there might not be any huge diffrences in games

that's only possible because Xbox1 is still not sold out in the US. You can't have any console on a Christmas wish list if it won't be available until after Christmas now can you?

I can't find any place selling xbox one day one editions anymore http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=22198136

toys r us has normal versions bundled for preorder but if you read the fine print its not guaranteed for launch.

The only place I see with day one's left is target and you have to buy a $620 bundle from their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why make a distinction between standard and day one? They are both XB1, just because MS made a different colored box and threw in some freebies doesn't make it a different console.

Why make a distinction between standard and day one? They are both XB1, just because MS made a different colored box and threw in some freebies doesn't make it a different console.

This way MS can claim in a board-meeting "Xbox was sold out: DAY ONE!!"
And the investors will be cheering and such :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Publishers are not going to want to be seen as favoring one company over another. I don't see any big developer releasing all of their content on one platform and not the other or gimping one release to drive consumers to the competitor. It doesn't make good business sense to put all their eggs in one basket and then have to deal with an arrogant platform holder who makes terms which are unfavorable to publishers. They want to see both platforms compete and while I think they will be happy to do the occasional timed exclusive or release DLC first on one or the other we won't see anything which upsets the balance - its too risky.

It wont. MS will pay in the states to have it on ellen and other shows , they are already the only console on toy's r us Christmas wish list. In the states at least the xbox one will be huge .

I think it will be interesting to see when and how both platform holders role out the subsidized offerings.

I got my second 360 for free when I bought a laptop a couple years ago and the next summer (when it broke) I got a free VITA when I took advantage of a Sony offering. Currently the free game console deals are much more in favor of MS in the US bc you can buy laptops from almost any manufacturer and qualify whereas Sony makes you buy a machine from them. I am not sure we'll see free XB1, its more likely it will be 199.00 or 99 dollars and Sony will likely have a similar offering for PS4 for 99 dollars with purchase of a VAIO. I'd love to see some numbers for this but this had to have a huge impact on the install base for 360 because thousands of kids leave for college every fall and essentially they were getting a free game/DVD player.

Similarly I remember seeing a lot of talk around the time of E3 about 200 to 299 down and 10 to 20 bucks a month for 24 months. I don't think either platform have announced anything like this yet but it will likely help grow the install base once demand at 399/499 starts to drop.

only day one edition consoles will be avalible for nov 22nd. After that is the normal ones but they wont be avalible until after the 22nd.

Are you of the mind that the ps4 has already sold out for the entire holiday season as the poster that I responded to implied ?

Because I can bet you the ps4 will come back in stock between nov 16th and dec 25th.

Why not? it is a "special edition" console, it has a controller with a distintive design (the "Day One" words in the controller and different dpad color). It is like different designed boxes for special edition consoles.

It's just marketing bullshit. But, a great marketing idea.

I guess you even get an achievement.

It also seems to make it easier to understand whether you are getting a launch day guaranteed console. With PS4 it was pretty hard to tell. If you have pre ordered a XBO day 1 ed, then you know you're getting it on launch day. For PS4 there's only 1 SKU, so things get more gray, you have to depend on the retailer or just hope I guess.

They had the pre-TGS event where they announced the Asian release of PS4, the TGS keynote where Sony did the stage demo of the PlayStation App and remote play through the Vita TV and confirmed game capture would be possible over HDMI, and they have been doing daily stage demos on the show floor. No new PS4 games have been announced by Sony so far as I can tell, but they did announce Gravity Rush 2 and Monster Hunter FRONTIER G for Vita with trailers on their stage.

wow. sony wants to sell 5 million ps4 consoles this year as per todays event. That's 2-3 million more than what I was expecting :)
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/sony-tokyo-game-show-2013-keynote-liveblog/

As noted before it's by the end of the fiscal year (end of March).

Which is very interesting as that's basically the same amount that Microsoft is forecasting for the Xbox One. 6.2 million by the end of their FY, which is the end of June.

So, basically both are forecasting an average of 1 million per month.

I'm wondering if this is hinting at production capacities for each company. Microsoft originally forecast 7 million by the end of their FY, so a downgrade to 6.2 million could hint at production limitations. If so, it is remarkably similar for both.

Regards,
SB

Back