Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

There's no guarantee you will be able increase your tolerance for it. I would say if your not noticing improvements after 1 month like being able to play for the offending games for a little bit longer maybe it's not going to happen. It's possible a full on sim rig with hydraulics which would move you around with the car could help for cockpit games but that's a rather extreme option.

Ok, thanks. Im leaning strongly toward sending it back. For me I dont think its worh the money Im afraid. If they would release Alyx for it though....

No, sitting in my couch. Im playing with a controller which I suspect might make the car move in not 100% natural way which might be more noticable in VR.

If you are like me, then anything that has a representation of motion you should feel in the real world but don't feel in VR will always make you sick. For driving games, for example, a full simulation chair (where the seat tilts depending on what the car is doing) is required for me not to be nauseous for hours on end since my body then feels something analogous to what it expects to feel in a real car. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm getting one of those (wife would castrate me :p).

Even scrolling menus where the menu is made up of large images can cause problems for me WRT nausea. Oddly vertically scrolling menus are mostly fine while horizontally scrolling menus cause problems.

Regards,
SB

If you are like me, then anything that has a representation of motion you should feel in the real world but don't feel in VR will always make you sick. For driving games, for example, a full simulation chair (where the seat tilts depending on what the car is doing) is required for me not to be nauseous for hours on end since my body then feels something analogous to what it expects to feel in a real car. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm getting one of those (wife would castrate me :p).

Even scrolling menus where the menu is made up of large images can cause problems for me WRT nausea. Oddly vertically scrolling menus are mostly fine while horizontally scrolling menus cause problems.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, this sadly isnt for me.

Walking around and teleporting works great for me though. Thats why Im intrigued by Alyx, from what Ive seen and heard everything is designed for VR in mind. Actions sequences are more about peaking up from behind cover than running round a villiage being chased by zombies.

We're taking meds to play games now?! :runaway:

How do people here respond to rollercoasters? I had no issues whatsoever on PSVR and much preferred free movement to other locomotion methods. However, thinking about it I also have no reaction to rollercoasters - I can be spun and turned and inverted and whatever, and I just get off. I wonder if there's a particular mindset/brain configuration that's more accommodating of conflicting motion signals?

I wouldn't call it a malfunction; just a variation. There's no situation in nature where the sensory input will conflict with the actual motion, so there's no reason to evolve either to always expect them to match and puke when they don't, nor evolve to be able to accept independent conflicting motion signals. Unless there's evidence we're at an everyday disadvantage because we can see ourselves moving when static without feeling nauseous, it's just a quirk. Like tongue-rolling.

We likely make good sailors...

We're taking meds to play games now?! :runaway:

How do people here respond to rollercoasters? I had no issues whatsoever on PSVR and much preferred free movement to other locomotion methods. However, thinking about it I also have no reaction to rollercoasters - I can be spun and turned and inverted and whatever, and I just get off. I wonder if there's a particular mindset/brain configuration that's more accommodating of conflicting motion signals?

I'm fine on roller coasters and love them. The issue with the type of motion sickness I suffer from is when perception doesn't match the forces that the body feels or vice versa.

So a roller coaster is fine as the forces reflect what I'm seeing. Reading a book in a car is fine as long as the car is moving at a constant velocity, but as soon as it enters stop and go traffic ... nausea and I'll have to stop reading the book. Heck just driving around town with random turns and stops and starts will trigger nausea if I try to read a book instead of looking out the window while that is happening.

Regards,
SB

I can do VR fine but if a roller coaster has frequent loops and cork screws I'll be sick in no time. I rather prefer roller coasters with high speed and drops!

I had problems with psvr1 due to low resolution blurry screen but no problems with psvr2 (especialy after studioform + globular cluster modification). I can have nausea when reading while driving, never been on rollercoster but as a kid once feel bad after some fast moving pendulum like machine.

Last edited:
😲 I presume not actually driving.

So in this little sampling, no patterns whatsoever and motion sickness is a different experience for everyone.

Yes, there is a whole range of motion sickness which can broadly be broken down into 3 categories. And each of those 3 cateogories can be experienced to varying degrees in each person.

1. Motion sickness caused by motion that is felt but not seen i.e. terrestrial motion sickness;
  2. Motion sickness caused by motion that is seen but not felt i.e. space motion sickness;
  3. Motion sickness caused when both systems detect motion but they do not correspond i.e. either terrestrial or space motion sickness.
I suffer from the first 2 but not necessarily the 3rd.

People that get sick on roller coasters suffer from the 3rd category and may or may not suffer from the first 2. The theory is that their visual system is unable to easily match the quick changes in what the body feels versus what their visual system sees. For example, if there is too great of a latency disparity between the two systems or perhaps they typically don't rely on their perhipheral vision much and suddenly there's a massive influx of peripheral vision data being fed to the brain and it's being overwhelmed.

There's lots of theories on how and why people experience it and why the degree of experience varies so much from person to person.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: snc
New people should probably be introduced to VR with games that use teleport, snap turn and vignette. It's very important they don't get sick in the first few mins.

Last edited:
The VR solutions probably needed provide on onboarding process to wean new players onto VR. They've tackled the hardware quite well since the Oculus revolution, but haven't addressed other significant (unexpected) obstacles that won't be solved with tech.

there are many games, especially on standalone devices, that don't require locomotion, or use roomscale so you actually move yourself in the environment (but you need space)
mixed reality games are also an option for pople who get sick.

Sure, but if people aren't being guided to those when they first try VR, it's a crapshoot how they feel about it. Particularly if they are sold on the idea by some VR advertising that shows realistic immersive worlds that'll make them spew.

The VR companies have to ensure that the first experience is magical and not as horrific as it can be. The industry can't afford people donning on a helmet for the first time and taking it off 10 minutes later feeling awful and thinking, "that's never for me."

When it comes to game design, you spend a lot of effort with the onboarding process, making sure users aren't bounced off by too much complexity or boredom or confusion. That same idea needs to be applied to VR as a whole, ensuring people get the right experiences at the right time to grow into VR at their own rate. Basic things like a "VR motion rating" so users can see at a glance whether it's at their level or not.

well, at least on the Meta Quest store, there is a comfort icon on games pages, so if you read carefully, you can know if a game is fine or "bad" for motion sickness

Sure, but if people aren't being guided to those when they first try VR, it's a crapshoot how they feel about it. Particularly if they are sold on the idea by some VR advertising that shows realistic immersive worlds that'll make them spew.

The VR companies have to ensure that the first experience is magical and not as horrific as it can be. The industry can't afford people donning on a helmet for the first time and taking it off 10 minutes later feeling awful and thinking, "that's never for me."

When it comes to game design, you spend a lot of effort with the onboarding process, making sure users aren't bounced off by too much complexity or boredom or confusion. That same idea needs to be applied to VR as a whole, ensuring people get the right experiences at the right time to grow into VR at their own rate. Basic things like a "VR motion rating" so users can see at a glance whether it's at their level or not.
Many games have like snap turning or vignette turon on as default, not sure devs can do much more than that

Back