Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Sounds like PSVR2 might be off to a pretty slow start.

There just isn't enough compelling content out there currently for people to spend an extra $500+ on a tethered VR headset that doesn't have BC with most of the previous PSVR games at this point. They need a couple big titles to help move the needle... remasters of old PSVR/Quest/PCVR games and a glorified climbing sim ain't going to do anything.

No trust in bloomberg, they wrote doom article about ps5 like weeks before record breaking quarter ;d

There just isn't enough compelling content out there currently for people to spend an extra $500+ on a tethered VR headset that doesn't have BC with most of the previous PSVR games at this point. They need a couple big titles to help move the needle... remasters of old PSVR/Quest/PCVR games and a glorified climbing sim ain't going to do anything.
Village, GT7 are the AAA games that you cant have on quest and there are other good. games like Pavlov, Saints and Sinners or Horizon. BC is useless without proper psvr2 patch and devs can do it if they want (and some did).

I wonder if it's because many people that were likely to get excited by this already have a PSVR1 with a decent sized library and doesn't like the idea of paying $550 to bin that and start again?

Maybe they should release it on PC to get more sales!

games like Pavlov, Saints and Sinners
This is what Remij was saying, both these are available on quest.

If those sales numbers are accurate it's a little depressing for someone wanting to see more high production value vr games, we needed psvr2 to do well to increase the market size for more ambitious projects to happen.

This is what Remij was saying, both these are available on quest.

If those sales numbers are accurate it's a little depressing for someone wanting to see more high production value vr games, we needed psvr2 to do well to increase the market size for more ambitious projects to happen.
Pavlov is not full version on quest, Saints and sinners is massive diff on quest2 vs psvr2 also. And as I said, they started with 3 aaa games which 2 of them are briliant(village, gt7) and 1 is solid (horizon) + many versions updated graphicaly for psvr2. Library lineup is as strong as you can get so for sure is not a problem, price is tough I wouldnt spend too much time on bloomberg article, as I wrote earlier, person who wrote this article earlier is known of doom sony in past.

Last edited:
I don't know what's wrong but if it had more games and more hype for future games that would surely help.

And not having it in any retailers in the USA (or even on their web stores) is a great way to flop.

Last edited:
If it's not available for retailers, that can surely be quickly remedied. Maybe Sony feared over-demand and scalping and played it cautious. If so, they can release to retail. Or maybe the margins aren't there and there's no deal Sony can do with retail. I mean, the games are all download, right? So unless retailers get a decent cut of the hardware sell, there's nothing in it for them.

Some games are available as discs. RE8 and GT7 for example. Most indie stuff is not however.

PSVR1 was similar. Maybe it's even more download only now though.

Last edited:
There's still problems it needs to overcome.
  • VR weariness/skittishness.
    • Quite a few former VR enthusiasts still fear a repeat of mostly VR "experiences" with few quality games with fewer and fewer releases after launch.
    • Thus, taking a wait and see approach.
  • It's still a BIG and BULKY headset.
    • Sure, there's less cable clutter, but it's still too large for mass consumer adoption.
    • The BSB is getting close, but I'm still not sure the BSB headset is small enough for the masses.
  • Price.
    • Quest was able to do as well as it did because it came in at 299 USD originally.
    • Sales petered off when they raised the price on Quest 2 and we're now seeing them drop the price a bit again to try to get sales back to where it was.
    • Anything over 300 USD is going to face a tough time selling a lot of units.
    • Ideally you'd want it under 200 USD to move a LOT of units, IMO.
Unfortunately, that also means it can't be a high end headset. So, pick one. Robust sales or high end. Tough choice.

Regards,
SB

Don't think price is that much of a problem, but people need to see the value.
They sell millions and millions of higher priced phones every year.
But for mass adoption VR has to be standalone.

I just got Studioformcreative PSVR2 Counter Balance Comfort Kit 150 Gram and if somebody as me not a biggest fan of psvr2 halo strap I can recommend it. Feel difference as now has almost no problem with losing sweetspot. Also I bought stronger contact lenses and now gt7 is much sharper ;d

20% is far less than reports to date would suggest. Sad it's not selling as well as hoped, but it doesn't sound dead in the water, at least in Sony's estimation.

Reactions: snc
Did this while driving and you can even see the reflection of the trackside in the reflection of the helmet. Nice little detail.

Reactions: snc
Don't think price is that much of a problem
$550 for a console peripheral that's expected to sell many millions of units is an absolutely enormous problem.

This wasn't supposed to be some niche device like a higher end sim racing wheel or something. PSVR2 was supposed to reach some level of real, mainstream success. But that pricing alone is going to prevent that.

And while a 20% reduction in manufacturing doesn't sound like a lot, it still very much hurts the whole general chicken and egg problem VR has had since the start - the motivation for publishers and developers to make VR games. It's already not an easy proposition to make a VR game at the moment, and ANY kind of lowered adoption forecast hurts things quite a bit.

Back