Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

PSVR1 was the same price

And PSVR1 also taught a lot of people to take a wait and see approach WRT VR (almost everyone I know with PSVR1 shelved it after 1-2 years because of no new content worth dusting it off for). Basically, they're waiting to see what support for PSVR2 will be like. It has to be better than PSVR1 and it has to have a lot more "games" versus "experiences". And it has to have more support 1-2-3 years on versus how support for PSVR1 started to drop off (developer support) after about year 2.

Again, a chicken and egg problem. Consumers need more games to justify basically spending the equivalent of a 2nd PS5 (the cost of the headset), but developers need to see high adoption to invest into more real games, but high adoption again won't happen until there are more full games, which means ... vicious cycle.

As is there will be a niche for it and there will be niche developers still trying to make VR into a market that can sustain itself, but it's still very much a hard uphill battle.

Regards,
SB

From what I heard in vr cast stream sony is earning money on each psvr2 sale so they have possibility to lower price if they want

That is nice for Sony, I got a few friends that bought it, but I am on the fence after using the PSVR1 for like tops 4 hours.
I never got into VR gaming, it was just very interesting or fun in my opinion. With that said, I do like the idea of AR, not sure of the practicality of it, especially when coming to games. But maybe games like Pokemon Go with something like google glass would be interesting there. But the industrial usage for AR I find more interesting again. Ohh well.

What I was trying to say, I think VR fits better with a hardcore type of crowd, instead of the avg game player just yet, it takes a lot of commitment/investment. I grew up with computer games, but I am not feeling VR at all, maybe VR just needs a generational change to the gamer age bracket :D

PSVR2 is a massive upgrade other 1, but still has a long way to go.
Improving resolution and FoV first, then headset size and comfort.
And then of course, price !

That is nice for Sony, I got a few friends that bought it, but I am on the fence after using the PSVR1 for like tops 4 hours.
I never got into VR gaming, it was just very interesting or fun in my opinion. With that said, I do like the idea of AR, not sure of the practicality of it, especially when coming to games. But maybe games like Pokemon Go with something like google glass would be interesting there. But the industrial usage for AR I find more interesting again. Ohh well.

What I was trying to say, I think VR fits better with a hardcore type of crowd, instead of the avg game player just yet, it takes a lot of commitment/investment. I grew up with computer games, but I am not feeling VR at all, maybe VR just needs a generational change to the gamer age bracket :D
psvr2 is big jump from psvr1 as for me psvr1 wasnt worth buying and psvr2 gt7 and re village kinda killed flat gaming for me ;d hope sony will encourage devs and own studios to create hybrid games with vr modes

It's going to peter out just like PSVR1 if it doesn't get attention with games that are specifically designed for it and offer an experience not available elsewhere.

PSVR1 is not as awful as popular sentiment. It has great lenses, maybe better than PSVR2's. It has typical FOV. RGB OLED. It's very comfortable. The software library just didn't bring the people. There are a lot of weak exclusives there.

Last edited:
It's going to peter out just like PSVR1 if it doesn't get attention with games that are specifically designed for it and offer an experience not available elsewhere.
I disagree, gt7 and village are best games on psvr2 (and no other title is even close) and are hybrids, is much cheaper to implement vr mode for flat game than develop standalone aaa vr title and imo its the way to do it.

Last edited:
My thoughts of most played games in vr by me:

Call of the Mountain: realy nice launch title by Firespirte, one of better looking vr games, great physics implementation, some great "uncharted" like moments. Imo would be better with little less climbing and more puzzles, combat in circle arena wasnt best idea, 60->120fps reprojections is visiable on turning. 7.5/10

Gt7: I had already over 400h in flat version and added another 50h in vr ;d Just amazing experience, will not move back to flat, immersion, feeling of track elevations change is just on another level. 60->120fps reprojection visible when we overtake cars with large speed difference and very visible on vr replays. PD should also add deltas to other cars for vr users and sometimes postion is lost after going out of pit etc. Other than that just briliant implementation. 9.5/10

Re Village: If not some cutcenes clearly not made in vr in mind I would think it was 100% pure vr title. Great implementation of carying weapons and items, great reloading mechanic, also nice usage of hapticks. Immersion and scary level on another level. Only drawback is that resolutions clearly got hit even tough it using eye tracking foveated rendering. Amazing adventure. 9.5/10

Last edited:
Did you know Firesprite made The Persistence for PSVR1? That is a hardcore sci-fi space horror roguelike VR game. I liked how they didn't just release and forget it. They released a lot of improvements like adding a flat screen mode and a free PS5 upgrade. The PS5 upgrade uses RT and the highest settings push the PS5 to the limit.

I will definitely be buying Call of the Mountain if I get a PSVR2 at some point.

Last edited:
Yes I heard about Persistence tough Im not into rouglikes.
Yeah I don't like roguelikes either and I don't know if I would play another one, but it is a lot like System Shock 2 so I did enjoy it in the end.

Reactions: snc
On the matter of eye-tracking, is it at all laggy? One of the arguments against ETFR is eye tracking would be too slow.

Last year at SIGGRAPH, I went eyes-in with Meta’s high-dynamic range Starburst VR headset research prototype and I felt myself squinting at a light that was so bright my eyes reacted the same way they might staring into a bright indoor light bulb. While Sony’s PSVR 2 headset doesn’t have the same range or brightness attributes as Meta’s demo from last year, Sony’s headset is also VR’s first consumer HDR head-mounted display. Comments on our reporting of Meta’s research device last year considered HDR’s potential use for simulated flash bangs. Seeing that overall concept realized here just a few months later by Sony and First Contact stands out as an example of PlayStation’s commitment to moving VR gaming forward.

Firewall Ultra uses Unreal Engine 5 and also features dedicated servers rather than peer-to-peer networking.
Thats quite interesting.

Back