Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

I hadn't considered the eye contact element between avatars. That has a lot of potential.

The reference to a single feedback motor in the headset is interesting though in a less positive way. I imagine it was done for cost and possibly weight reasons but it likely limits the possibilities there, particularly with regards to simulating directional motion in order to reduce motion sickness.
I have like 0 knowledge about feedback motors, so if you have only one motor you can't emulate vibration on left and on right side of headset, it must be only in one place ?

"lens adjustment dial that lets you customize the focus to your own personal preference."

That's pretty neat! Will reduce the need for glasses. Thus maybe sony will even simply make the headset thinner to not accommodate glasses at all. Thus better weight balance. Thus more comfort

"lens adjustment dial that lets you customize the focus to your own personal preference."

That's pretty neat! Will reduce the need for glasses. Thus maybe sony will even simply make the headset thinner to not accommodate glasses at all. Thus better weight balance. Thus more comfort

Surely they're just talking IPD adjustment, but keeping the language simple? Shifting the lenses wouldn't do much for people with astigmatism, like myself.

If the motor is HD motor like dualsense, then as long as it's centered and long enough, it gonna have good enough directionality

Reactions: snc
They mention lightweight fresnel lens on the current page. I wonder if that means their eye box will still be fairly large. There's obviously cost/technical limits, but I hoped we'd see move to flat lenses of some type. The tech, cost or both might not be quite there yet.

sound little late for still negotiation stage

Maybe that's part of why Sony still haven't shown the headset yet. They may still be in the process of finalizing what hardware they use in it which may determine what the final headset looks like.

The basic functionality and capabilities may be nailed down, but they may be choosing which vendor's hardware they'll be using in the final product among a number of possible hardware providers.

In short, there might be multiple headset designs using various combinations of different hardware provider components and they are negotiating to see who will give them the best deal.

Considering there's no release date for PSVR 2 yet, Sony have as much time as they feel they need.

Regards,
SB

This is starting to feel like this will be the year for VR/AR. The new lenses and mini-led and micro OLED will be amazing for VR. This specs for PSVR2 are amazing. I just want to know price now. lol I bet we hear more about Project Cambria very soon after this announcement. I know FB doesn't want anything to take the winds out of it's sails for Quest 2. This might even push Valve to show us something as well, but I doubt it. lol Honestly though Horizon could dethrone HLA from being the best VR game. I mean it probably won't for me but for most it might.
Sony has made some really good games for the old PSVR. I can only imagine they will keep that going with PSVR2. Hopefully, we hear about more games soon. Sony had a pretty good lineup for PSVR. This is very exciting. I hope I can get a PS5 before this launches.

This is starting to feel like this will be the year for VR/AR. The new lenses and mini-led and micro OLED will be amazing for VR.

I have been thinking about Sony's choice of fresnel lenses. They don't have to squeeze in the same electronics and batteries as everyone else. PSVR2 might end up boasting a similar eye box size, despite requiring a longer optical path than the polarised lenses lens everyone else will be using.

Definitely an exciting year for VR/MR, unless things are delayed and next year's the exciting year!

Incidentally, Sony have s patent for manufacturing fresnel lenses which removes the god ray effect they usually suffer from.

https://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-2-psvr-2-fresnel-lenses-sony-patent/

The design of the PS VR2 headset was also inspired by the look of the PS5 family of products. When our design team created the PS5 console, they also had the next generation VR headset in mind so you’ll notice some similarities in the look and feel. T

Nice. So they do want to avoid the mess of PS4 and its accessories design hahaha

That looks like a good refinement of a 'living room' HMD design. The face interface looks like it'll conform to just about anyone, even with specs. The halo strap will make it simple to hand it around and share the face sweat.

Back