Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

https://www.androidcentral.com/gami...ded-a-glimpse-into-the-future-of-ps-vr2-games
Sony already announced the PS VR2 would use eye tracking to support foveated rendering, consolidating the highest graphics in your line of sight. But Unity provided the first hard statistics of how much this improves performance: GPU frame time improvements are up to 2.5x faster with foveated rendering and up to 3.6X faster with both rendering and eye tracking.
Running the popular VR Alchemy Lab demo with demanding graphics like dynamic lighting and shadows, rendering and tracking dropped frame time from 33.2ms to 14.3ms, a 2.3X improvement. And running a 4K spaceship demo, CPU thread performance and GPU frame time were 32% and 14% faster, respectively.

In practical terms, developers will be able to optimize their games to make the most out of the PS5's raw power, and you'll never notice the dips on the periphery.
The PS VR2 tracks "gaze position and rotation, pupil diameter, and blink states." That means that a PS VR2 could know if you wink or stare at an NPC, triggering some kind of personalized reaction if the devs program it. Or eye tracking can offer actual aim assist, so a poorly aimed throw course corrects closer to where you were looking.
The Unity developers also made an interesting point that feels obvious in hindsight: PS VR2 games can support asymmetric, couch-co-op multiplayer with non-VR gamers in the room.

PCVR somehow needs to attract game developers. And people need to actually buy the games. And the new hardware needs to sell well enough as to not be put on clearance sale in 6 months. :)

Last edited:
PCVR absolutely must implement this or it will be left in the dust with PS5 performing in line with high end 4xxx series GPU's.

In VR. Not the GPU's faults, there just would need to be a VR headset for the pc with foveated rendering (there isnt atm?). Or the PSVR be compatible with the PC, ofcourse, which is likely to happen either due to Sony or modding community.

In VR. Not the GPU's faults, there just would need to be a VR headset for the pc with foveated rendering (there isnt atm?). Or the PSVR be compatible with the PC, ofcourse, which is likely to happen either due to Sony or modding community.

I think the issue is more software support than hardware. I'm sure there will be similar hardware capabilities in the PC space around the same time, but how much software will support it if its a niche hardware spec? Unless it's something that can be implemented at the hardware level without specific dev support bit I doubt that unfortunately.

I think the issue is more software support than hardware. I'm sure there will be similar hardware capabilities in the PC space around the same time, but how much software will support it if its a niche hardware spec? Unless it's something that can be implemented at the hardware level without specific dev support bit I doubt that unfortunately.

Unfortunately VR is a niche, even on the PS. That might change, if so, we will see more of it on other platforms. Theres a reason MS and basically anyone else isnt investing too much in it. Sony is pioneering it, they might push VR to levels where it perhaps might start to matter.

That's excellent news - sounds like it's possible to implement eye tracked foviated rendering at the driver level meaning application level integration isn't necessarily required.

Looks like I might not need a PSVR2 after all.

Up to 3.6x speedup in rendering using foveated rendering and eye tracking is fairly profound.

Couple that with the 60 to 120 fps time warp and PSVR2 titles could end up looking really good.

You would think that VR graphics should be able to overtake or at least keep up with 2d graphics when using FR. Although I guess that depends on whether it can be used with reconstruction or not. I'm guessing not.

Back