Sony PlayStation cross-platform game strategy

Good point. Surprised license terms didn't require it earlier. Must have just been up for renewal and the content owners waking up to the current markets.
Yeah it was an outlier in the sports games, sony got away with it for way too long.

But each sport league giving an exclusive right to a single company is really stupid. It ensures there is no competition.

Which only goes to show how much of a change this is.

So to recap.

I say.. this is no evidence first party PS5 games will also appear on PC.

You say: there have been more each generation.

I say.. Actually there have been none.

You say; exactly, that proves my point.

This is why drugs are bad, people. :yep2:

I don't get the meltdowns, there is zero disadvantage to the PS fans. There is a strong trend of PS games appearing on PC and that will only get more of that. PS gets them first most likely, PC will get them at a later date. I personally feel the PC is in a good position, it's the middle-land, get from both MS and Sony, and everything in between and native pc games, even projects like star citizen for the ones that are in to something like that. Emulators for the BC of old/retro consoles.
Controllers from consoles are just plug/play.

There is a strong trend of PS games appearing on PC and that will only get more of that.
Games that first appear on PlayStation yes; Sony first party PlayStation games, no,

To be clear, I have no issue with more people being to play PlayStation first party games on PC. I also play games on PC and Switch. This can only be a good thing. Who the heck wants to prevent other gamers playing games? I know some people who think like this, but I just don't understand this point of view. :nope:

Some of you are missing the big picture on Game Pass. I've had to remind people about this before.

Microsoft doesn't just make money only off subscriptions. They also make money off sales of the games & DLC too. They offer a 20% discount off the game(excluding new releases) & 10% off the DLC. Why buy the game if it's free? Because it's not on the service forever.

They also make money off sales from those not on the service. Game Pass brings more players to the game, which in turn brings even more players who are not on the service because of word of mouth.

If it was a complete money sink they wouldn't be continuing the service.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-13-phil-spencer-game-pass-leads-to-more-game-sales

Tommy McClain

PS4 Pro was designed in part to prevent playstation users from migrating to PC mid-gen. Maybe instead of making a PS4 Pro, the economics make more sense to take games that are 2-3 years old and just put them on the PC for those people that want a more high-end experience. Maybe there's no PS5 Pro and they just release PC software instead. Two year old games are considered old by most gamers, and I doubt shifting from full exclusive to a timed exclusive would really hurt their hardware sales in a way that wouldn't be offset by the new software market they open up. Also as others have mentioned, they could make their own store where they earn all of the revenue, and move some Sony services to pc along with the games.

Edit: Also, how much do we think developing a next-gen is going to cost? Cost of development is already astronomical, especially for the AAA quality titles. Putting older stuff on PC will just help games earn more money longer.

Last edited:
I guess over an long period of time this would/could be true. Though something must always serve as some sort of baseline otherwise games can't progress forward. Console generations are still (even in the new world) a good place to set that benchmark I think. It's still going to be hard for PC parts to come down as cheaply as a well built console. I definitely believe there will always be a place for consoles as long as there is a desire for high quality, affordable gaming.

I don't get the meltdowns, there is zero disadvantage to the PS fans. There is a strong trend of PS games appearing on PC and that will only get more of that. PS gets them first most likely, PC will get them at a later date. I personally feel the PC is in a good position, it's the middle-land, get from both MS and Sony, and everything in between and native pc games, even projects like star citizen for the ones that are in to something like that. Emulators for the BC of old/retro consoles.
Controllers from consoles are just plug/play.
The meltdown is partly fake on era. Four posts being requoted over 66 pages, and pushing the agenda of hating an imaginary group which doesn't even exist.

The most crazy position is thinking one rumor of an old game being ported to PC means sony will stop making playstation exclusives. It's like there's a crack party and I wasn't invited.

Wake me up when there's a hundred. Or a dozen. Or just three.

PS4 Pro was designed in part to prevent playstation users from migrating to PC mid-gen. Maybe instead of making a PS4 Pro, the economics make more sense to take games that are 2-3 years old and just put them on the PC for those people that want a more high-end experience. Maybe there's no PS5 Pro and they just release PC software instead. Two year old games are considered old by most gamers, and I doubt shifting from full exclusive to a timed exclusive would really hurt their hardware sales in a way that wouldn't be offset by the new software market they open up. Also as others have mentioned, they could make their own store where they earn all of the revenue, and move some Sony services to pc along with the games.

Exactly this. PC gamers won't get attracted to a 'Pro'. They can OC their CPU themselfs, and upgrade the GPU if needed.
A PS Store could make millions and millions, see what the 'bad' EGS does now. Sony games will do much better.

The most crazy position is thinking one rumor of an old game being ported to PC means sony will stop making playstation exclusives. It's like there's a crack party and I wasn't invited.

Ye that's crazy, sony will never stop making exclusives, they will just slowly land on pc afterwards.

DdYfJqJX0AEYYiY.jpg

Not in mine :(
if the PS5 costs..., say 450€, and the Xbox Series X costs 500€ -following rumours- you can buy a PC for that price that is way way better in every possible way and play the games of both.

I haven't touched the settings of my games -save resolution- when I played on a 60Hz monitor and playing on PC is easier now than ever. I don't overclock the GPU or mod the PC a lot, just use what works well by default.

if the PS5 costs..., say 450€, and the Xbox Series X costs 500€ -following rumours- you can buy a PC for that price that is way way better in every possible way and play the games of both.
Uhh.. there is a PC available for around €500 that will play PS5 games? And XSX games? :nope:

Games that first appear on PlayStation yes; Sony first party PlayStation games, no,

To be clear, I have no issue with more people being to play PlayStation first party games on PC. I also play games on PC and Switch. This can only be a good thing. Who the heck wants to prevent other gamers playing games? I know some people who think like this, but I just don't understand this point of view. :nope:

Yup, if Sony were to start publishing all of their exclusives on PC, it's only positive for gamers, there is no downside from the perspective of a gamer. Whether it's a net benefit for Sony is, of course, arguable.

Taking a moment to hypothesize here. What if...
  • The number of players that got a PS4-P was roughly analogous to how many people play on both PS4 and PC. IMO, I think it's larger as not everyone with a PS4-P plays on PC. Conversely there may be players that stayed with base PS4 that also game on PC. But at least in my group of friends and aquaintences (including streamers and streamer audiences that participate in chat), PC owners are much more likely to get a PS4-P than a PS4 while I see few people that stayed with base PS4 that also gamed n PC.
  • So, if we go with that supposition
    • What was the cost of bringing the PS4-P to market?
    • How much did Sony make off of 3rd party games on PS4-P?
      • If we hypothesize that most PS4-P owners also game on PC, then it would be likely that they also buy most of their 3rd party games on PC.
    • Did the revenue from royalty of 3rd party games sold to PS4-P owners exceed the Cost of Sales and R&D for PS4-P?
    • If not, then...
  • It may end up being more profitable to sell 1st party exclusives to PC owners than to try to keep them on the Playstation ecosystem.
    • I didn't included the exclusives above as Sony would get money from them regardless of whether it was a PS4-P owner or that person buying it on PC if there was no PS4-P.
    • Again this pre-supposes that the greater majority of people that play on PS4 and PC got a PS4-P. This may not be true, although I think it is likely to be true.
    • This moves even more in favor if you consider.
      • Sony would gain a LOT more sales of their exclusives.
      • Was PS4-P a net positive in terms of profitability when considering the Cost of Sales and R&D?
      • Most base PS4 owners (unlike customers who got a PS4-P) are unlikely to game on PC due to a combination of cost and convenience.
        • IE - if they didn't get a PS4-P due to cost, they are unlikely to get a PC because it's even more expensive. And if they do game on PC, in general, they can afford to get and probably did get a PS4-P.
  • The exclusives are only sold in the PlayStation store.
    • Microsoft attempted to do this for a while but couldn't get as many people to buy from there on PC as they would have liked. Thus they now simultaneously release on Steam as well.
    • Sony has much less of an image problem compared to MS. So as long as they don't screw up their storefront for PC games, they shouldn't need to use an existing PC storefront unless they wish to greatly expand their reach on PC. If that's the case, then they'd be far more likely to use Steam than any other storefront.
So, while I still think it highly unlikely that Sony are suddenly going to release their exclusives on PC similar to what Microsoft is doing, I can kind of see a train of reasoning that could make it possible for Sony to consider it.

It'd certainly be a lot easier to hypothesize if we had access to the user demographics numbers that Sony has access to. :)

For example, just being able to see the buying patterns of PS4-P owners. Do most of them only buy PS4 exclusives? Or do they also buy a lot of multiplatform games on PS4-P. IE - are most PS4-P owners mostly buying 3rd party games on PC instead of PS4 already anyway?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
So, no then?

It depends on the timeline, at launch a PC is going to be more expensive, but then you dont pay for online, games are usually cheaper etc. You probably get more hardware too, a zen3 CPU 8 cores at 4Ghz is more likely, as is more main ram, more powerfull GPU. It's the context he means perhaps.

So, while I still think it highly unlikely that Sony are suddenly going to release their exclusives on PC similar to what Microsoft is doing,

I see Sony doing more of what they do now, not design as cross platform, but design for PS in mind, max profits there, and then at a later date sell it to PC gamers, perhaps in their very own store.

I haven't touched the settings of my games -save resolution- when I played on a 60Hz monitor and playing on PC is easier now than ever. I don't overclock the GPU or mod the PC a lot, just use what works well by default.
This is the discussion we have been having for decades regarding PC vs Console.
I have a very powerful PC already. But I still prefer to have a separate healthy console ecosystem.
Cant say I am convinced that you can get a PC for the same price and run everything as well at launch....

Back