Sony PlayStation cross-platform game strategy

5.5 million is a lot. To me (not played either) but days gone seems like it warrants a sequel much more than death standing, that just seems like a stand alone game. Sony have been strange with franchises eg look at all the ppl calling for a sequel to motorstorm but nada

Reactions: snc
it sold around 5.5 milion copy, sony sometimes looks too much into metacritic score

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Days Gone and only didn't complete it because I had my fill about halfway through the 150+ mission campaign but you cannot ignore that it was the lowest scoring Sony first party game for years (bottom of page 2) and to date has sold a tiny fraction of other first party games.

5.5 million is a lot.

snc says Days Gone sold 5.5m. The Last of Us Part II sold 4 million in three days. God of War has sold over 19 million copies as of last month. It's brutal, and I'm disappointed not to see a sequel too, but they are the numbers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're comparing to top tier first party. What about other tier games like Knack and Dreams? How about Gravity Rush? Nioh 2 looks to have gotten a sequel on similar sales as Days Gone.

I don't think there's a simple correlation between sales and sequels.

You're comparing to top tier first party. What about other tier games like Knack and Dreams? How about Gravity Rush? Nioh 2 looks to have gotten a sequel on similar sales as Days Gone. I don't think there's a simple correlation between sales and sequels.

Nor do I, I already mentioned sales and the metacritic score but I'm sure the cost of development play into it, along with how popular and saturated a particular genre is. Days Gone has a 72 Metacritic but it is a big open world and I can imagine it cost a fair bit to make. Also, the market is awash with zombie-type enemy survival horror games.

Dreams has a 89 Metacritic but I have no idea on sales. I didn't know there was even a game in there, I thought it was some creation tool. As for Knack (54 mc) getting a sequel, Christ knows. It's Cerny's studio and you have to believe some arm twisting went on there. Equally, I would be very surprised if it cost anywhere near as much as Days Gone to develop. Nioh has a 88mc, critics loved it and as of this year has sold over 6m.

Gravity Rush (80 mc) I have no idea on sales. I think there is a degree of getting away with less sales if it costs less to make and you're doing something very different and critics like it. Sony have done a lot of weird games over the years.

snc says Days Gone sold 5.5m. The Last of Us Part II sold 4 million in three days. God of War has sold over 19 million copies as of last month. It's brutal, and I'm disappointed not to see a sequel too, but they are the numbers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mate I don't think you know how many games normally sell, A lot of high profile titles dont reach 5 million. eg Bloodbourne or the recent Rachet and clank dont have those numbers

Mate I don't think you know how many games normally sell, A lot of high profile titles dont reach 5 million. eg Bloodbourne or the recent Rachet and clank dont have those numbers

Exactly. The last numbers I saw was a little over 560K for Returnal and 1.1 million for Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.

Sure.. and if I was only talking about sales that would be an excellent point. But I'm not. And I don't think Sony make sequel decisions based on a single metric either. Which is the point I've made in several posts. Sony said Bloodborne's sales "surprised" them.

Exactly. The last numbers I saw was a little over 560K for Returnal and 1.1 million for Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.

You surely don't expect the 10m PS5 console base to buy as many games as the 100+m PS4 console base? :???:

You surely don't expect the 10m PS5 console base to buy as many games as the 100+m PS4 console base? :???:

Sure, I expected the enthusiast early adopters to at least buy all "next-gen showcase" titles for their shiny new console. What else were they going to play, last-gen titles?

keeping in mind that during almost one year on the market and there was only so few next gen titles 560k sales for returnal is bit underwhelming. Or maybe 9lmn ps5 are still in hands of scalpers .. who knows ;)

As a hardcore rouglike and when devs have big concern to add in run continue option (addressed recently months after release) half of milion for returnal is not that big surprise, I buy most of aaa games for ps5 but skipped returnal and deathloop

Sure, I expected the enthusiast early adopters to at least buy all "next-gen showcase" titles for their shiny new console. What else were they going to play, last-gen titles?
That never pans out. Only Nintendo sees very high percentage sales of flagship titles. Other platforms see first year games selling to smaller proportions of the new install base. Given the ability to play last-gen titles at improved quality, there's even less reason to think new PS5 owners will be buying every single PS5 specific title. for some, PS5 will be the 'PS4 pro' they actually want and they won't mind waiting for specific next-gen titles to come out, rather than buying whatever happens to be next-gen even if it's not their cup of tea.

eg. PS4. 4 million PS4 owners bought 10 million software units. That's not everyone buying every showcase title, but typically buying two or three titles. If there were 10 flagship titles, that means on average a title selling to something like 20% of the users, heavily skewed in favour of some more popular titles.

https://www.destructoid.com/ps4-software-sales-reach-over-9-7-million-since-launch/

The only way you can guarantee a next-gen title to sell en masse is for it to have very little competition and new owners not having much choice, which immediately goes out the window if new owners can choose to play their preferred last-gen games in better quality.

But you did say 5.5 million wasn't a lot of sales. Certainly seems well above average to me and only weak compared to rarer gang-buster titles.

I don't think I did, actually. I said other first party titles had sold more.

Why? Why would people buy games/genres they are not into? That makes no sense at all. :nope: People buy consoles to play games and not all all games appeal to all people because Spider-Man didn't sell 100m copies. Nor did God of War. Nor Horizon. Nor The Last of Us. I can't think of a single PlayStation title that has every appealed even to 30% of the whole console base. Why would PS5 be different? :???:

I didn't buy Demon Souls or Returnal, they aren't my jam. And yeah. I've played a ton of PS4 games on my PS5. Games I hadn't completed when I upgraded, like AC Odyssey and Ghost of Tsushima, and games I am just replaying because they are so much fun like the PS4 Ratchet & Clank game and The Last of Us Part II. Plus new PS4 game buys like Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

I still find it odd. I fully understand the argument that people are not into every game genre but wouldn’t you at least try the next gen title even if it isn’t your jam? Game that is not possible on last gen console with new fancy controls and stunning visuals? If we had one next gen title every month then sure but with so limited library what’s the issue? What people are buying “Pepa the pig”?

I still find it odd. I fully understand the argument that people are not into every game genre but wouldn’t you at least try the next gen title even if it isn’t your jam?
I have a lot of disposal income but I'm not spending £70 on every nextgen title out of idle curiosity - there was about 20+ launch titles with nextgen versions and some were £60-70.

Who the hell is dropping a grand on new games they might not like? If a lot of people were doing this, games sales on launch consoles would be significantly higher and the economy would be in a lot better shape,

I still find it odd. I fully understand the argument that people are not into every game genre but wouldn’t you at least try the next gen title even if it isn’t your jam? Game that is not possible on last gen console with new fancy controls and stunning visuals? If we had one next gen title every month then sure but with so limited library what’s the issue? What people are buying “Pepa the pig”?
I did that with demon souls remake just for the graphics and turns out I was even able to finish it (tough playing mage), but returnal for 70$ was too much for me as I generaly don't like hard games and returnal graphics are not jaw dropping imo (toguh has great particle effects)

I did that with demon souls remake just for the graphics and turns out I was even able to finish it (tough playing mage), but returnal for 70$ was too much for me as I generaly don't like hard games and returnal graphics are not jaw dropping imo (toguh has great particle effects)
Having had a stab at Dark Souls and Bloodborne previously, I knew Demon Souls wasn't going to be for me. I don't know about other gamers, but I am generally pretty good at knowing what games I will like and what games I won't like. Likewise I am not a fan of roguelikes so I skipped Returnal. When I got the chance to play it on a friend's console, it wasn't for me. There are occasional surprises, but not very often.

Reactions: snc
Back