Sony Home - The official thread*

Hah... missed this news: http://kotaku.com/5033162/home-beta-expanding-to-the-media

It seems that Home beta has expanded to the press. There is also rumbling about opened LBP online beta recently. Hopefully they open both up for Qore subscribers at least.

Good news. A few recent statements (from Reeves?) had sent some people into a tailspin.

Opening up to Qore would make a lot of sense for Sony. Shame the damn things only in the US (patsu you selfish so & so!). :)

Opening up to Qore would make a lot of sense for Sony. Shame the damn things only in the US (patsu you selfish so & so!). :)

Yes, yes, I am US$2.99 richer than you. :yes:

Actually you only need to buy the issue that has the beta (if it's even included). They'll probably have other ways for you to get into these betas. EU has a separate Home beta sign up page. Not sure what Media Molecule has in mind for LBP EU beta at the moment.

Yes, yes, I am US$2.99 richer than you. :yes:

Actually you only need to buy the issue that has the beta (if it's even included). They'll probably have other ways for you to get into these betas. EU has a separate Home beta sign up page. Not sure what Media Molecule has in mind for LBP EU beta at the moment.

:LOL: But hey, I've got £1.86 sitting here right in front of me. That's easily $2.99!

I'm not sure where my head's at ref Qore (or a version of it) coming to the EU. The Beta stuff of course is cool but yeah, we Euros get other stuff. Don't let us down Leipzig MM.

Incidentally I still have the Home Beta page in my favourites...

Given my luck, I have to buy my way into betas or I won't get into any. Even then, the first beta (Socom on Qore) was delayed. You'll probably fare better than me with that EU Home beta sign up. :no:

In the mean time, I am getting more and more impressed by the scope of Playstation Network, Sony has inked another deal to distribute content on the network (and to Bravias):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080501352.html

Rocketboom, the daily video blog, is turning over its distribution and ad sales to Sony Pictures Television in return for a seven-figure guarantee plus a share of revenues. Rocketboom will be distributed on Sony's Crackle video site, as well as across other Sony platforms such as the PS3, PSP, and Bravia I-Link TVs.

We tried start-up ad companies like Federated Media and blip.tv and refused to go exclusive with anyone for a long term without some kind of guarantee. And no one was ready because no one could sell out our inventory across all of our platforms (e.g. our own video formats plus videos on You-Tube and TiVo, etc.). It tends to require managing multiple accounts and methods and no one has been able to handle selling ads across all of our platforms except us.

As for Sony's previous acquisition (Crackle)...

Rocketboom will now be seen as a Sony property for all intents and purposes. That is not necessarily a bad thing. For instance, Crackle is finally starting to see some growth after going nowhere for a long time. Since April, according to comScore, unique U.S. visitors to Crackle.com has tripled to 3.7 million (compared to 4.5 million U.S. visitors to Veoh.com).

It looks like Rocketboom will be distributed to "Life with Playstation" and "Playstation Home" (the theater); like so with Crackle. The exclusive Xam'd anime series on Playstation Store is another early but different take on Playstation content distribution.

Although Home is focusing on game services right now, it is fun to see the content side build up over the months. Content is one area where they are doing very well. I look forward to the final picture when they have integrated everything together in one package [size=-3](minus some usability issues here and there)[/size].

[SIZE=-3](minus some usability issues here and there)[/SIZE].

Based on previews I've read, they need to tackle some type of private chat function, so that conversations don't get lost in the clutter. Going to a secluded area like someones apartment is more of a work around, than a solution IMO. But I would assume they're aware of the issue. As they ran into it during their press-to-developer E3 Home event.

Still looking forward to, but I have to wonder if they shifted the focus to games to late in process to have anything substantial in time for the open beta. The Warhawk sand box sounds excellent, but how well polished and executed is it? Was it treated simply as a novelty, or developed with true and actual tactical use for clans in mind? What about multiple users, groups, and/or clans using it at the same time in the same room. How will it be handled?

These are all just questions and concerns I've been thinking about ever sense the E3 previews from the various journalist. It will be interesting to see what they have ready in time for the open beta, and where they take it from there.

Based on previews I've read, they need to tackle some type of private chat function, so that conversations don't get lost in the clutter. Going to a secluded area like someones apartment is more of a work around, than a solution IMO. But I would assume they're aware of the issue. As they ran into it during their press-to-developer E3 Home event.

Once the conversation gets heavy, the simplest way is to show the messages in chronological order (like in traditional chat room) in an overlay. They don't have to stick 100% to a real-life experience. It's too limiting.

As long as the user can switch to that view, I don't think it's a problem. It is almost a necessity for online event (e.g., Q&A with developers). Smilies and emotes can continue to trigger the 3D gestures from a third party observer's point of view.

Still looking forward to, but I have to wonder if they shifted the focus to games to late in process to have anything substantial in time for the open beta. The Warhawk sand box sounds excellent, but how well polished and executed is it? Was it treated simply as a novelty, or developed with true and actual tactical use for clans in mind? What about multiple users, groups, and/or clans using it at the same time in the same room. How will it be handled?

These are all just questions and concerns I've been thinking about ever sense the E3 previews from the various journalist. It will be interesting to see what they have ready in time for the open beta, and where they take it from there.

Yeah... I heard the Warhawk table has some built in functions for real use. But you're right, they should have started with the focus on day one. I hope the new India development center can help to create more Home services too.

Yeah... I heard the Warhawk table has some built in functions for real use.

If you happen to come across any articles that have actual hands-on time with the table itself (or detailed info) please post them if you get a chance. I haven't been able to find much.

If you happen to come across any articles that have actual hands-on time with the table itself (or detailed info) please post them if you get a chance. I haven't been able to find much.

I remember seeing some GAF post lamenting that the Home beta videos did not show how the Warhawk table works. He (TTP) implied that there are more to it than just a simple, static table. I have no idea how deep or shallow the Warhawk game room is yet.

I believe the game launching has also improved. There was a PS blog about it. You can now choose different play options directly from within Home. The end result is you can jump into a game right away.

The 1.5 patch is coming end of the month, we will probably hear more again.

Playstation Home beta application details

It begins: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...ion-home-closed-beta-test-heres-how-to-apply/

Later today, the PLAYSTATION Store will be updated with a PlayStation Home theme. By downloading the theme, users are submitting an application to join the PlayStation Home Beta test community. We will be using a variety of criteria including activity on the PLAYSTATION Network to determine eligibility for the Beta community. Existing beta testers have automatically qualified to be part of the expanded beta.
We’re really excited about this milestone and want our most loyal fans to be a part of the evolution of PlayStation Home.

In Europe, SCEE is also beginning their expanded closed beta, directly targeting consumers who have been most active on PLAYSTATION Network and PLAYSTATION Store. SCEE will be in email contact with their PSN audience very shortly.

... and I am away from my office. Splendid. :(

How am I meant to use that as a metric!? I have no idea where I'll be. Playing only WH online as I do...

Mind you I have bought an awful lot of stuff from PSN. Yes Qbert, I'm looking at you.

Actually, if they're sensible, they'll offer places to a cross-spectrum of users. They'll want to gauge server load, which'll mean judging how everyone will use Home, whether the frequent PSN users use it a lot, and whether low-use PS3 owners will take it up in a big way or not.

Edit : The PS Blog suggests they're not being sensible ;)
In Europe, SCEE is also beginning their expanded closed beta, directly targeting consumers who have been most active on PLAYSTATION Network and PLAYSTATION Store. SCEE will be in email contact with their PSN audience very shortly.

Actually, if they're sensible, they'll offer places to a cross-spectrum of users. They'll want to gauge server load, which'll mean judging how everyone will use Home, whether the frequent PSN users use it a lot, and whether low-use PS3 owners will take it up in a big way or not.

Edit : The PS Blog suggests they're not being sensible ;)

Rather have a stress test than 50% dead home clients installed :)

If I'm going to use Home, then I want to use it to meet up with people in my friendslist, and launch into a game together. If this is just random strangers in a beta, then I don't really care.

We still don't have an official launch date for Home other than Fall. It would be nice to get some accurate info on this.

I can actually download the Home theme in american account on my PAL PS3. Although I doubt I'll get invited into the beta this way. That is one ugly theme though, hopefully they don't force it on us to get in the european beta.

They mentioned they are going to follow the gmail model, so perhaps in the future, the current beta owners will be able to send out invites to their friends.

It's not surprising for them to target active PSN users though. People who don't play online games, should not be in the beta. If they are going to launch user generated content tools, then they will target yet a different breed of users.

Back