Sony and Microsoft first party strategy

Let me show you what PR is : https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-says-xbox-one-will-never-sell-without-kinect/

When you're in a bad situation you just do damage control. Phill Spencer is paid for that, it's his job.
They had a much bigger problem with PR when they were
a) more expensive
b) all about TV
c) less power
d) a spy tool for the government
e) had no exclusives

How much has changed since? Thanks, just about all but the last.

When you're in a bad situation you make changes to keep your business alive. You don't just sit there spinning damage control as if your plan is going to miraculously work out on its own.

But still more exclusive titles than MS in 2018... much more...

And what makes you think that Sony won't announce even more games for 2019 ?

This is why you have to stick on actual evidence, otherwise anyone can say what he wants.
I think you need to make a pause and be more clear on just about everything.
a) evidence is a game that is released
b) anything else is a forecast of a game releasing.

I don't get what about this is so hard to understand.
I don't care if Sony will announce more titles than MS, they likely will. but not a single person here has said that MS will have more 1P titles out in 2018 than Sony will. Who here wrote that?

I'm not and I'm sure no one here is arguing the fact that Sony has a larger quantity going forward. We're trying to discuss other aspects of the situation.

So you dont consider games that can only be played on 1 platform as exclusive simply because they're already released? Thats fine, and thats how you feel. Others may feel differently. I think that all depends on what sort of gamer the person is, if they're new to gaming then the larger quantity of games even if they're older titles might appeal to them. It could also make a larger difference on next-gen, if one side has BC and the other side doesn't. Its hard to quantify potentials, but at least there are options.

They had a much bigger problem with PR when they were
a) more expensive
b) all about TV
c) less power
d) a spy tool for the government
e) had no exclusives

When you're in a bad situation you make changes to keep your business alive. You don't just sit there spinning damage control as if your plan is going to miraculously work out on its own.
Well, the a/ is still true in the case c/ is no longer true.

Because the X is supposed to change the world ? It's a more expensive product that targets a niche market.

The gap in total sales has never been as large as it is today (70M vs 30M ?)... so yeah, we can't say that they are completely relaxed.

They're losing every E3 because they have nothing to show... so maybe they need change something ? I mean, you launch a new console and you don't even have a game to showcase its capabilities ?

Don't you think that Halo 6 on X would have made a lot of buzz ? So, either : they have nothing to show or the developpement of their games is so low that they can't show anything...

Even Sony had HZD for the Pro... yet the Pro was a far less ambitious refresh than the X.

a) evidence is a game that is released

No, an evidence is something like this :

An undisclosed project = nil.

It's basic logic.

I don't care if Sony will announce more titles than MS, they likely will. but not a single person here has said that MS will have more 1P titles out in 2018 than Sony will. Who here wrote that?

You said this : "I just wanted to point out that a massive list on Sony's side and a barely noticeable list on MS side may not be reflective for an actual comparison."

I don't agree with that. Based on announcements of each constructor, we have a really clear picture of what's happening.

Now, you can speculate as much as you want on undisclosed projects but it's pointless... i could say Sony prepares 100 games and so on... no rational discussion is possible on such a weak basis.

Last edited:
I just hope that the introduction of the X marks also a return to strong platform exclusives for MS.

For me personally to buy a X in addition to my 1, MS needs an exclusive game, a graphical powerhouse that shines on X, and a good game as well of course.

It could be Halo, I’d be fine with that. Or a new Alan Wake. Or “surprise motherfucker”, a brand new IP that blows everyone out of their shoes!!

Bring it MS!!

Because the X is supposed to change the world ? It's a more expensive product that targets a niche market.

The gap in total sales has never been as large as it is today (70M vs 30M ?)... so yeah, we can't say that they are completely relaxed.

They're losing every E3 because they have nothing to show... so maybe they need change something ? I mean, you launch a new console and you don't even have a game to showcase its capabilities ?

Don't you think that Halo 6 on X would have made a lot of buzz ? So, either : they have nothing to show or the developpement of their games is so low that they can't show anything...

Even Sony had HZD for the Pro... yet the Pro was a far less ambitious refresh than the X.
Stop trying to move goal posts.
No one said that X would reverse this generation. And no one said managing PR meant making up a 40 million unit deficit before next gen. Sony could release nothing for the next 2-3 years and just keep reducing price points and it'll keep the same lead.
Halo 6 isn't going to be ready for release until 2019. Which means the earliest we will hear of it is this E3.

You don't have incorrect points, and in another thread with another topic I would address them, but all of them are tangent to what we're discussing here.

You said this : "I just wanted to point out that a massive list on Sony's side and a barely noticeable list on MS side may not be reflective for an actual comparison."
Because if a game is forecasted to release in 2017 and slides to 2018, then for the annual count it released in 2018. IE almost all of MS's exclusives should have launched already are being pushed out to 2018.

How is this not obvious to count games released in 2017 after 2017 is over?

So you dont consider games that can only be played on 1 platform as exclusive simply because they're already released?

No. I only consider new games (remasters or not).

But i agree, BC can have more appeal than exclusives titles according to the consumer. However, i think people are more interested by games that properly exploit their current consoles.

Because if a game is forecasted to release in 2017 and slides to 2018, then for the annual count it released in 2018. IE almost all of MS's exclusives should have launched already are being pushed out to 2018.

But delayed games are still far more likely to release soon than games we've never heard before... it doesn't change anything.

I mean, would you bet on Spiderman on 2018 or a secret AAA that Sony hid for the same date ? Let's be serious...

Also, games announced later generally launch later. Spiderman will launch before Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:
But delayed games are still far more likely to release soon than games we've never heard before... it doesn't change anything.

I mean, would you bet on Spiderman on 2018 or a secret AAA that Sony hidden for the same date ? Let's be serious...

Also, games announced later generally launch later. Spiderman will launch before Ghost of Tsushima.
It's not about speculation Recop.
it's just about proper measurement.

You want to make a list about 2017. Then just compare what was released in 2017 to what was released in 2017. Those are final numbers.

You want to compare 2018, just wait until 2018 is over and compare what went down in 2018. It could be close, it could be a landslide, but there is no guessing when you are dealing with actuals.

Yes forecasting helps us figure out what the actuals may be, and it does provide you a ball park. But if you want to properly compare, just compare the actuals.

Pretty sure this means for you, and pretty sure you are counting them out before they are launched.
Me and most people. They didnt show much to raise excitement. I have to base my expectations solely on name and hope alone, whereas I have to fill the gap for the underwhelming revelations. Sony's anouncements and demonstrations of games manage to raise a lot more excitement and come in more quantities
Once again, 2 awards for 1P games on TGA for MS in categories that Sony (both racing and Indie) had exclusives in.
That barely says much about the quality and quantity of AAA exclusives released every year on XBOX compared to Sony's.

Last edited:
Me and most people. They didnt show much to raise excitement. I have to base my expectations solely on name and hope alone, whereas I have to fill the gap for the underwhelming revelations. Sony's anouncements and demonstrations of games manage to raise a lot more excitement and come in more quantities

That barely says much about the quality and quantity of AAA exclusives released every year on XBOX compared to Sony's.
Without a doubt I have major concerns for the 3 titles that were delayed and moved out of 2017. In particular the lack of MP testing, which is either a sign that it's no where close to ready yet, or it's going to be a terrible rush job come spring of 2018. And like you, I don't find these titles particular interesting for myself, I won't speak for all xbox players, SoT is okay for me. I'm looking towards the indies like Ori, The Last Night, Below and Ashen that have been delayed. Keeping an eye on the Darwin Project.

Ideally more is announced later this year, but I don't think there's going to be much delivery until either late 2018 or spring of 2019.

What xbox excels at has no relation to Sony's quality or quantity. I merely posted it to refute the idea that Xbox has no exclusives. No exclusives or garbage tier exclusives should imply no winners.

Without a doubt I have major concerns for the 3 titles that were delayed and moved out of 2017. In particular the lack of MP testing, which is either a sign that it's no where close to ready yet, or it's going to be a terrible rush job come spring of 2018. And like you, I don't find these titles particular interesting for myself, I won't speak for all xbox players, SoT is okay for me. I'm looking towards the indies like Ori, The Last Night, that have been delayed. Keeping an eye on the Darwin Project.

Ideally more is announced later this year, but I don't think there's going to be much delivery until either late 2018 or spring of 2019.

What xbox excels at has no relation to Sony's quality or quantity. I merely posted it to refute the idea that Xbox has no exclusives. No exclusives or garbage tier exclusives should imply no winners.
The indie games you mention are great. For me The Last Night looks extraordinary and super promising. I definitely want it. The thing is though that these games are not the big AAA games that make someone super excited or genuinely interested in a console. At least the majority. For example someone wanting to invest on an XBOX X he would love to see games that push its capabilities. These indie games are a very welcoming bonus. A tasty desert after the main course, but the main course is missing. On the other hand the PS4 offers exclusive games for main course and for desert. AAA games and indie games included.
Those exclusive indie games on XBOX seem to be a convenient PR material to cover the lack of exclusive main games.

You want to compare 2018, just wait until 2018 is over and compare what went down in 2018. It could be close, it could be a landslide, but there is no guessing when you are dealing with actuals.

It doesn't change the fact that more projects are prepared by Sony. I don't care if their games don't release in 2018 : a game announced a long time ago has far more chances to release much sooner than a game freshly revealed in 2018... unless you think that games revealed by MS in 2018 will release in 2018.

It doesn't work like that... you always have to wait a good amount of time between the annoucement and the release.
To give you a simple example : i'm almost certain that even Ghost of Tsushima will release before any new Halo/ Gears of War game.

Why ? Because, at least, we've seen something of their game. Halo 6 or the next GOW = NOUGHT !

And when you don't see anything, it doesn't sound good... end of 2019 ? Early 2020 ?

Edit : since Halo and GOW are not new IP, they could release a bit faster, but don't expect any surprise from MS that could release soon. A new IP like Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima need time to be created.

Last edited:
The indie games you mention are great. For me The Last Night looks extraordinary and super promising. I definitely want it. The thing is though that these games are not the big AAA games that make someone super excited or genuinely interested in a console. At least the majority. For example someone wanting to invest on an XBOX X he would love to see games that push its capabilities. These indie games are a very welcoming bonus. A tasty desert after the main course, but the main course is missing. On the other hand the PS4 offers exclusive games for main course and for desert. AAA games and indie games included.
Those exclusive indie games on XBOX seem to be a convenient PR material to cover the lack of exclusive main games.
I can’t speak for all Xbox players, but my backlog for games is so massive I couldn’t buy more games without just adding more to it.

My main course is 3P. Lots of great games in that space. Don’t need to be exclusive to be good.

It doesn't change the fact that more projects are prepared by Sony. I don't care if their games don't release in 2018 : a game announced a long time ago has far more chances to release much sooner than a game freshly revealed in 2018... unless you think that games revealed by MS in 2018 will release in 2018.

It doesn't work like that... you always have to wait a good amount of time between the annoucement and the release.
why not?
Do you want a list of games that were revealed at E3 2017/2017 and released in 2017?

Last edited:
Back