Sony: 2M PS3s shipped

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/070116e.pdf

PLAYSTATION®3 REACHES CUMULATIVE SHIPMENT OF
1 MILLION UNITS IN JAPAN

Tokyo, January 16, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that
cumulative shipment of its PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system
reached 1 million units in Japan as of today, January 16th, 2007. Compared to its predecessor
PlayStation® platforms, PS3 is the fastest to reach cumulative shipment of 2 million units
worldwide.
This achievement comes in only 2 months from its launch in November 2006 in
Japan and North America. PS3 platform continues to expand rapidly along with its exciting
lineup of packaged software titles as well as downloadable content and services delivered
through the network.
On the software front, demand for PS3 titles were also high during the holiday
season and with popular titles such as Resistance: Fall of Man™ from SCE Worldwide
Studios (SCE WWS) as well as attractive lineup from licensed developers and publishers.
Cumulative software shipment in Japan and North America combined reached 5 million units
as of December 2006. More and more powerful new titles are expected to be released
continuously from both SCE WWS and licensed developers and publishers, which will further
demonstrate the power of PS3.
PS3 continues to evolve, expanding its possibilities by adding new features via continuous
system software updates, including functions such as “Remote Play”, which allows users new
ways of enjoying content by connecting PS3 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) as well as
playback of various content through the network. More than 500 thousand users have gone
on-line with PS3 in Japan and North America combined, enjoying the latest PS3 network
games as well as exchanging messages and video chatting on-line.

2/2
PS3 Reaches Cumulative Shipment of 1 Million Units in Japan
PLAYSTATION®Store, an on-line shop on PLAYSATION Network, offers a
wealth of content from downloadable PS3 games, additional features for existing PS3
packaged games and downloadable PlayStation® archive games for PSP, to free game demos,
movie trailers and trial versions of upcoming PS3 game titles. In particular, Gran Turismo™
HD Concept, a free downloadable game made available on December 24th, 2006 is highly
popular among PLAYSATION Network users counting more than 300 thousand downloads in
Japan and North America in 20 days since its release.
SCEI will continue to expand the PlayStation®2 and PSP platforms, which already
shipped more than 110 million and 20 million units worldwide respectively, and the newly
available PS3 platform, further promoting the creation of a new world of computer
entertainment through the fusion of game, music and movies.

Impressive ramp-up for sure. I think that's the kind of news most important to stakeholders right now after they fumbled with their launch.

Playstation is misspelled several few times as "PLAYSATION"

If you don't link the original source how do we know it's not made up?

Am I the only one that think is a bit strange that GT:HD has only been downloaded by 300k people? I mean, if you have a PS3, you would want to play it and since it is free there are no real barriers. Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Am I the only one that think is a bit strange that GT:HD has only been downloaded by 300k people? I mean, if you have a PS3, you would want to play it and since it is free there are no real barriers. Can anyone think of a reason for this?

1. "What, it does online?" (Average PS2 owner)
2. "I couldn't be arsed to register" (Someone who got intimidated by the lengthy Sign-Up process)
3. "Games, bah" (Someone who bought it for BluRay)
4. "I *hate* racing games ... " (Someone who hates racing games)

I don't have a PS3 myself yet, but these would by my initial guesses.

By adding the Media Create stuff, it appeared just a week or so ago they were in the 450k range in Japan. Is Media Create that inaccurate? Or did Sony deliver nearly 500K PS3s to Japan in the last 2 weeks? If so, how have they sold to consumers? What is availability like?

Lots of people didnt bought a ps3 to play games on it but as a cheap BR player?

I assure you that if PS3 was bought as a cheap BR player it will also be used for games.

Thats why those people will likely behave like what Arwin guessed.

People that played a previous GT.... and HATE it ?
I have no interest playing GT unless you pay me, I mean I find those games boring and GT:HD aint really a showcase for PS3`s graphics - especially if you dont have an HDTV.

But hell, they sure ramped up production, to say something ontopic :LOL:

Credit where it's due. I didn't think they'd make it happen, but they only missed their target by two weeks, which isn't really so bad.

Now they need to sell them.

Credit where it's due. I didn't think they'd make it happen, but they only missed their target by two weeks, which isn't really so bad.

Now they need to sell them.

I figured it would be like this a while ago (publicly, just haven't been able to find my posts back here on the forums - too many posts! :D ), with ships taking a long time to get from China to the U.S. but much shorter from China to Japan. So it made sense to try to get all the early shipments to the U.S. as much as possible (hence also the launch number ratio of 4:1 in favor of the U.S.) and then quickly catch up in Japan as production ramps up.

Also, I now realise that January is probably a good time for Japanese to buy hardware, as opposed to Christmas in the U.S., so it will be interesting to see if this is reflected in the Japanese sales data over the next few weeks.

I also predicted the 360's sales for November and December almost exactly right, I think, so hey, maybe I can become an analyst some time in the future. Or is the requirement for that job to be consistently wrong on all sorts of things? Lately, I'm getting confused. ;) (actually I'm starting to assume that all analysts who predict the most likely scenario just don't make the press these days).

Hmmm

Compared to its predecessor PlayStation® platforms, PS3 is the fastest to reach cumulative shipment of 2 million units worldwide.

How does this make Europeans feel? I saw another quote like this a week or so bcak where Sony PR mentioned WW as well in regards to the PS3 launch (ironic quote for another day) so it seems they are now fashioning of the PS3 launch as a worldwide launch. Hmmm

Back