Some PS3 developers still unaware of removal of rumble feature.

NANOTEC

Banned
During an interview with SmackDown! developer Yuke's, we asked senior director Taku Chihaya if he was disappointed that the new design of the PS3 pad lacked a rumble feature, and whether he was concerned about this detrimentally affecting the SmackDown! games.

His alarming response was, "We didn't know that! Wow, that stinks. In a lot of games, the use of vibration can add so much. You walk around here at E3 and the floor's vibrating with bombs going off and stuff. It can really add a lot to a game to have vibration, so I'm kind of disappointed there won't be vibration in the controller."

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/ga...sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I never liked rumble so I like this very much, on the other side if it is very good in some wii games I may be interesting.

Anyway I think this means that we will have to wait a lot till see games see this feature being used in games.

Yeah, I personally never got much out of rumble, though I know some people like it. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in the DS3 officially at some point during the generation.

the thing about rumble is that i's got to be done right. take the original MGS where rumble was used as an example of psycho mantis' power, or house of the dead 2 (DC, with the lightgun and rumble pack) when you get that satasfying thud from gunfire. the lack of force feedback in the standard controller means that most developers won't use the feature even if it's added in a 3rd party device. it also means that PS2 andPS1 games played on the PS3 will be in some ways inferior to their original formats.

Since not all the games going to use motion sensor, I wished they offered option to switch between motion sensor mode and rumble mode...by simply turning off sensor mode when rumble is used...but since it has to do more with patent dispute more than anything...it is kinda unfortunate

I wouldn't be surprised if it found itself back in the controller pre-launch. I think not only fans have been disappointed but developers are pissed (above example as reference). I think it will happen...if not it will definitely make its way into 3rd party controllers.

"Still unaware"? :rolleyes:
I guess it's just a formal reply that hides when they actually knew it as there must be NDA about it.

ROG27 said:
...if not it will definitely make its way into 3rd party controllers.
If the retail PS3 controller doesn't support it, then it's likely that the controller libraries would not support it.. Which means it doesn't matter whether 3rd parties add it, as without OS/library support for rumble it would be a waste of money..

Dean

From the verbatim response, it didn't sound like it was NDA'd info but they actually didn't know. And if Sony didn't decide which controller until the last minute, it could be news to them as much as the public.

Since not all the games going to use motion sensor
I think a lot of games could benefit (and not just in useless gimmicky ways)

I think you need to be a little more specific. All of that isn't false, just the part about not having wireless controller support.

I was just thinking about the idea that the rumble interferred with the motion sensor, it seems to me that most times the rumble occurred you were losing control anyway. I think programmers could have been very creative working around this conflict of features. For example, they could shut the motion sensor down, go to rumble and put control back to the joypad to regain control of say a vehicle out of control. If the rumble didn't throw the motion sensor too far out of whack, having both on simultaneously may have even simulated the chaos of trying to get a vehicle back under control.

Anyway, to me the omission of the rumble feature is seeming more and more like an admission by Sony that they were growing weary of the ongoing legal battle over patent infringement.

-aldo

Titanio said:
Off-topic, and a quick glance at the press release says it's untrue.

My bad I guess I should have done a little more reseach before that post.:oops: Thanks for setting me strait.

aldo said:
I was just thinking about the idea that the rumble interferred with the motion sensor, it seems to me that most times the rumble occurred you were losing control anyway. I think programmers could have been very creative working around this conflict of features. For example, they could shut the motion sensor down, go to rumble and put control back to the joypad to regain control of say a vehicle out of control. If the rumble didn't throw the motion sensor too far out of whack, having both on simultaneously may have even simulated the chaos of trying to get a vehicle back under control.

Anyway, to me the omission of the rumble feature is seeming more and more like an admission by Sony that they were growing weary of the ongoing legal battle over patent infringement.

-aldo

supposedly the designer that sony owes the money to for the rumble feature (name escapes me) also said that they would be more than happy to make rumble work for them with the tilt feature if they would pay up.

Nintendo is using rumble in their remote.

Tap In said:
supposedly the designer that sony owes the money to for the rumble feature (name escapes me) also said that they would be more than happy to make rumble work for them with the tilt feature if they would pay up.

It was Immersion Technologies.

Tap In said:

The company is Immersion.

Interesting comment by them. I wonder why they think they would be more successful than Sony in making them work together when they can't even be sure of the specific motion sensing design used by Sony.

BTW, has MS paid off Immersion yet?

-aldo

aldo said:
The company is Immersion.

Interesting comment by them. I wonder why they think they would be more successful than Sony in making them work together when they can't even be sure of the specific motion sensing design used by Sony.

BTW, has MS paid off Immersion yet?

-aldo

Maybe it's just SONY's excuse that the rumble interfered with the tilt sensor when the real problem is paying up the fees to include rumble? Nintendo doesn't have a problem including rumble and Immersion says it's not a problem too.

Back