Finally PS3 and 360 side-by-side

So let me get this straight, you believe a mock up over the real thing? The working, functional ps3 at e3 even looks the same as the pictures me and one posted.
The product is not out yet. (I'm not even sure both the cases are being mass-produced yet, are they? Asustek is the only company making the units until this month, but is it soup-to-nuts for both models? Do we have snaps of the production lines to know they made no last-minute design changes?) There IS no definitive "real thing."

I'm saying that if they take pains toward accuracy in a newly-released mock-up (barring the rear ports), it could possibly reflect--in some way--a change they're contemplating making to the final design to even just one of the ISK's. Gloss white is, after all, the "in" color right now. (And if they're going to apply the same paint job to the wooden model to make it look good, why would they also not apply it to that piece to reflect their planned models? They still painted the damn thing.)

What I said was, to wit, "I hope they're not planning on doing that otherwise." It is indeed not a big deal.

Here's a question to the thread. Has anyone been swayed one way or another with regard to a PS3 or Xbox 360 because of how big they are?

I seriously doubt the answer would be pro or con either way, so the larger and more relevant question is, who cares, and why is this topic 7 pages long already?

Here's a question to the thread. Has anyone been swayed one way or another with regard to a PS3 or Xbox 360 because of how big they are?

I seriously doubt the answer would be pro or con either way, so the larger and more relevant question is, who cares, and why is this topic 7 pages long already?

They care because consoles inspire some of the most insipid bickering on the face of the earth.

They bitch over looks because...well...that's all they got at this moment. :)

Funny, I always thought it was inspited by a Dell Optiplex workstation.

view_pc_dell_dimension_gx240_slim_tower.JPG

Nice similarities there, but I still don't think it can hold a candle to this...

junor.jpg

LOL :)

Tommy McClain

I wasn't swayed either way on sizes or weights on any of the systems, but I can understand how it could be a check feature that helps some people in the decision process. Evidently there were enough people that thought the original Xbox was too big and too heavy. As for the PS3/360, it's great to see the size comparison of the two. However, the price of the system made my decision long ago. So it could be the size of a matchbook or a cedar chest for all I care. LOL

I will say one thing, if the pictures above are representative of the final case, then I'm kind feel like it's bigger than the original shown off at E3 2005. The original didn't seem so bad. Whether or not that's the case I don't know, but that was my first reaction to seeing these latest photos. Plus, placing it next to a 360 and original Xbox did make me go WTF. LOL Anyway, I could care less about the power supply being internal or external. Price and games are my concerns.

Tommy McClain

Well... I was bored and thought we should move beyond the size comparison discussion. We are out of news anyway :)

So I looked up other aspects of the case design like what were the original design goals ? Did they achieve them ? How does the whole "set" (including controllers and other perhipherals) turn out ? In my view, the relative size is moot becase they pack very different things. In any case, the exterior is indeed part of the sex appeal.

BTW, are the optical drives slot-loading or tray-loading for PS3 and Xbox 360 ?

Well... I was bored and thought we should move beyond the size comparison discussion. We are out of news anyway :)

So I looked up other aspects of the case design like what were the original design goals ? Did they achieve them ? How does the whole "set" (including controllers and other perhipherals) turn out ? In my view, the relative size is moot becase they pack very different things. In any case, the exterior is indeed part of the sex appeal.

Don´t know about 360, but PS3 has a slot loading drive.

lol, nevermind bro. I'm kinda getting tired of arguing it. The thing is white, your right. :LOL:
Yes. Because that's what I was saying. In any of my posts. :rolleyes:

"No" and "indeed, why is this?" ;)

I don't give a rat's ass about a console's size unless it won't fit on any reasonable media center shelf. I constantly LAN with a full ATX case and monitor, so why would something as paltry as a few inches or pounds in a console I'll rarely move (by comparison) make a difference?

Any complains about the Xbox don't stem from size, but rather from ugliness. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say one thing, if the pictures above are representative of the final case, then I'm kind feel like it's bigger than the original shown off at E3 2005. The original didn't seem so bad. Whether or not that's the case I don't know, but that was my first reaction to seeing these latest photos. Plus, placing it next to a 360 and original Xbox did make me go WTF. LOL Anyway, I could care less about the power supply being internal or external. Price and games are my concerns.

Tommy McClain

Yep, the size of the console in the E3 2005 was smaller. They had to make it a bit bigger since then to fit everything in there...

Slot for the PS3, tray for the 360.

Personaly, and I think actually for most people, slot loading is quite a bit "sexier". Tray has practical advantages such as being cheaper, and maybe a bit less sensitive to being jammed and if some people are to be believed less risk for scrathing the disks.

I woldn't mind the 360 being slot loading though. The overall design of the 360 is not bad, but it is something that just does not feel right and I think that if it had slot loading instead of tray it would look much better...

Personally, I like to just throw fuel on the bonfire but I was really hoping the more sony-inclined would swallow their pride in this thread.

Uhh, what is this thread about anyway, and what should the "Sony inclined" be ready to concede?????
That the PS3 is bigger than xbox360? Yes it is.
That the PS3 is somehow failed in case design?? That's subjective really and no-one should tell you what to think.
Personally I like the design. Simple and elegant despite the size (which isn't that large when you look at it as a home entertainment device, not PS3 vs. Wii vs. PS2(Two), xbox360...When I put it in my livingroom I'm sure it'll look positively neat and compact).

To me it seems that this thread has degenerated once again into a revenge of the xbox fans because the original xbox was ridiculed because of it's size and design, now they feel it's justified to "win back" what was denied before.

Sorry if this read like fuelling the arguments (I can feel some -reps coming this way already ;) ), but arguing whether the case design should be liked or not is childish.
Maybe if there was some unbiased poll made by asking people on the street which design they like the best, there would be some foundation to the arguments, but as it is just inside the forums fuelled by funboi rage... it's pointless really.

Personally, I like to just throw fuel on the bonfire but I was really hoping the more sony-inclined would swallow their pride in this thread.

There will be time for Sony-inclined posters to swallow their pride (near launch I suspect) but I don't think anyone needs to at the moment. PS3 relative/absolute size is neither a general advantage nor a disadvantage. Its footprint is not that big (assuming with good cooling and internal PSU).

As for its shape, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me it seems that this thread has degenerated once again into a revenge of the xbox fans because the original xbox was ridiculed because of it's size and design, ...

and the moral of the story?

don't be so critical of the other guy because you just might have to swallow the same in return some day. ;)

also see:
past criticisms of
HDD
dual skus
WW launch
online gaming

:p

also see:
past criticisms of
HDD
dual skus
WW launch
online gaming
I'm not sure exactly how many people were criticising dual SKU's as a concept (except in a "marketing" and "shipping/shelving" way, which applies to all multi-SKU endeavors) so much as "splitting gaming features among multiple models."

And anyone criticising online gaming is a retard. ;) There's always been room to argue "importance" and "rate of adoption" and "implementation" from console to console, of course.

I'm not sure exactly how many people were criticising dual SKU's as a concept (except in a "marketing" and "shipping/shelving" way, which applies to all multi-SKU endeavors) so much as "splitting gaming features among multiple models."

And anyone criticising online gaming is a retard. ;) There's always been room to argue "importance" and "rate of adoption" and "implementation" from console to console, of course.

oh... trust me... it was coming from all sides. ;)

after all the nonsense since E3 '05, it's nice that both consoles seem to be more or less on equal footing now so hopefully a lot of this insipid infighting will cease.

Ow..and did it hurt your soul so badly you now are up for "revenge"? ;)

hey... check my posts, I'm not forcing anything on anyone ... I was just pointing out that it's amusing that what goes around comes around ;)

hopefully we can all now just move forward since a lot of the rhetoric of the past 15 mos has been exposed for what it is

oh... trust me... it was coming from all sides. ;)

after all the nonsense since E3 '05, it's nice that both consoles seem to be more or less on equal footing now so hopefully a lot of this insipid infighting will cease.
Unless someone colors their console purple. THAT is unforgivable!

Back