So The Olympic Ceremony

Davros

Legend
I was actually dreading it, I thought it would end up looking like it was made on a giro (unemployment benefit cheque)
But it was magnificent, an outstanding job by Danny Boyle..

I'm just glad I wasn't trying to drink anything when "Chariots of Fire" started.

It was rarely beautiful (didn't see much of it), there were a fair few cool and entertaining bits. I loved that the audience was holding pixels for a huge screen, and yeah, Mr Bean was very amusing. The entrance of the athletes was absurdly late though.

How did those at the stadium see when Mr. Bean was 'dreaming'? Just a big screen or something? :)
Since the time I was watching live is very early (started @ 4am here) I wasn't able to really think much about it too deeply, but overall I think it's pretty nice, especially considering the budget is not exactly large.

They had screens up. They will use them for the various events in the stadium, and they used them for the movie bits of the opening ceremony (like the Queen/Bond bit at the beginning).

BTW, shame on NBC for not showing the opening ceremony live and editing out the tribute to those that lost their lives in the 7/7 bombings the day after the Olympic Games were awarded to London.

Given that Britain has had a couple of years of "Pomp and Ceremony" with the royal wedding and the Jubilee I think it was exactly right that there didn't do a 3rd round of it with the Olympics (although where it did cross over it was played very tongue-in-cheek); it was proven to the rest of the world that Britian can do that well, it was the correct thing to do to show off what else there is to offer / remember. While I thought some of it was a bit off the wall, overall I thought it was a well done and entertaining event.

Bits of it were a bit slow, and bits were a bit weird, but I had it on a Tivo and watched it the next day, so could skip over two hours of the teams walking into the stadium. Overall it had heart, wit, humour and personality that you tend not to see at these kinds of events. It was very British, which is all you can ask for.

I really like the flame. It's smaller and more intimate having it in the stadium, and it's very pretty. It's only 16 tons instead of Beijing's 300 ton cauldron. And every team gets to take a petal home at the end.

All ceremonies have the competitors walking in, and it is always slow and boring. The other stuff was great.

All ceremonies have the competitors walking in,
When I "was a lad" the teams used to march in. It was only the closing ceremony where they walked. (Now insert comments re vacating the grass :p)

All ceremonies have the competitors walking in, and it is always slow and boring. The other stuff was great.

I don't actually mind it. But they started marching in something like 11:00 PM Central European Time. At 11:30 we switched it off and went to bed, basically, and a lot of athletes didn't even take part in the march because they basically wanted to go to bed.

Arwin,
It's nothing new. At the Sydney 2000 games, a number of competitors were known to stay up a bit later than they ideally should have watching, or participating in, Roy & HG's "The Dream" which came on TV after the games coverage finished.

Having watched it a couple more times now (because the missus likes it), what I would say is that if you live in a detached house and have a more-than-half-decent sound system, TURN THE VOLUME UP. THEN TURN IT UP A BIT MORE. Regardless of the theatrics I think the music was pretty powerful. But it does need to be loud.

The BBC world master feed is available in The Usual Places, without local commentary and with DTS-MA audio. You get to see all of it, including the 7/7 tribute.

Slightly OT:

B3rP5.png

Burn Kotaku.

Cwp6E.jpg

The closing ceremony was campy too bad no Depeche Mode and Erasure.

Regardless for awhile there I thought I was watching a concert or something.

Closing was much better than the opening. And not just because it was full of gay icons, gay dancers, gay athletes, watched in the stadium by half of the gay population in London (yes, really)!

Back