So, is ClearLCD all it's cranked up to be?

On a brief viewing, the panel (S-IPS AFAIK) is impressive with canned HD sources. SD was surprisingly good given PP3 now works on HD sources, too. FW update availability/simplicity is a big plus. I'll wait until I see the new Sony X/V series. The updated Samsung with LED backlight is not too far off either.

P.S. Ambilight is bleh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's certainly eye-wateringly expensive! I'm very happy with my Tosh LCD but I'll be interested to see this Philips in the flesh to see where the differences lie.

AFAICT, the biggest problem with Philips LCD TVs has never been their picture quality.

So far i've heard nothing about other companies using ClearLCD or similar technology, although i'm sure most manufacturers will move on from typical LCD backlight technologies in favour of new technology, like Samsung with LED.

We'll see.

So how does this ClearLCD work exactly?
I long had the idea of simply placing a second lowres monocrome LCD behind the colour one, to get better contrast/better dynamic range.
But I figured this was so obvious that there had to be a catch. But is this how ClearLCD works?

So how does this ClearLCD work exactly?
I long had the idea of simply placing a second lowres monocrome LCD behind the colour one, to get better contrast/better dynamic range.
But I figured this was so obvious that there had to be a catch. But is this how ClearLCD works?

This effectively comprises two main components: Overdrive Control and a Dimmable Scanning Backlight. ODC's job is to ramp up the voltage applied to the LCD panel to speed up the liquid crystals' reaction time -- resulting, it's claimed, in a lightning-fast LCD response time of just 6ms.

The new backlight system, meanwhile, attempts to mimic the scanning effect of CRT TVs via new hot cathode fluorescent lamps that enable the TV to vary the amount of light in each pixel and the duration of time each pixel is lit -- two things not possible with standard LCD backlight systems, but which should make moving objects look cleaner and sharper. Also, since the new backlights in the 42PF9831D can have their output reduced by 30 per cent more than standard backlights, we should hopefully see noticeably deeper, more natural black levels (see Performance for more on this).

What it does, the backlight basically switches off after each frame to try and reproduce a movie effect and minimise motion blur... And it kinda works...

I thought about having one or more monochrome LCD screens behind the colour ones to improve blacks, but it's such a simple idea that i'm sure it has been tested and proved unsuccessful for whatever reason...?? :???:

I've been waiting for scanning backlights for 2 years now. I'm excited to try this out. For all intents & purposes this tech should eliminate "ghosting" for the most part, and bring the tech much closer to CRT for response times. A lot of the motion artifacts we attribute to high lcd crystal response rate is really due to the constant on backlight. Our eyes percieve changes of state as a smear, since there is no "off" state in between. Exciting stuff.

And why the hell doesn't it work with HD sources? Nice job phillips...

I've been waiting for scanning backlights for 2 years now. I'm excited to try this out. For all intents & purposes this tech should eliminate "ghosting" for the most part, and bring the tech much closer to CRT for response times. A lot of the motion artifacts we attribute to high lcd crystal response rate is really due to the constant on backlight. Our eyes percieve changes of state as a smear, since there is no "off" state in between. Exciting stuff.

They probably think that HD eliminates motion blur in LCDs! It's magic!! :LOL:

The overdrive technology is still used for HD sources - it seems it's the DSB stuff that's switched off.

But really the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it delivers a fantastic HD image (which it seems to) does it really matter whether certain technology is switched on or not?

The overdrive technology is still used for HD sources - it seems it's the DSB stuff that's switched off.

But really the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it delivers a fantastic HD image (which it seems to) does it really matter whether certain technology is switched on or not?

Well i'm sure it delivers a great HD image, however it is just very odd that they would have a technology in the set that practically eliminates one of the biggest issues with LCD technology, and they would just turn it OFF while on HD...?

The cynic in me would guess that ClearLCD 2.0 will support HD when Philips' next generation of screens is released in another 6 months or so. Gotta keep the high-end upgraders buying! :???:

The cynic in me would guess that ClearLCD 2.0 will support HD when Philips' next generation of screens is released in another 6 months or so. Gotta keep the high-end upgraders buying! :???:

Yep that's the case unfortunately and Philips have been very transparent with this. Other manufacturers try to hide it, but Philips come out with these great new technologies which have the most glaring shortcomings, only to fix them in the next batch, at vastly overblown prices, adding a 2 or a 3 after the name.

Beats me...

Yep that's the case unfortunately and Philips have been very transparent with this. Other manufacturers try to hide it, but Philips come out with these great new technologies which have the most glaring shortcomings, only to fix them in the next batch, at vastly overblown prices, adding a 2 or a 3 after the name.

Beats me...

Not that I feel any real need to defend Philips, but where is the "glaring shortcoming" with this TV set? I'm getting confused as to why anyone would care about what's switched on or off unless it measurably affects what you're seeing.

Back