So, is ClearLCD all it's cranked up to be?

Not that I feel any real need to defend Philips, but where is the "glaring shortcoming" with this TV set? I'm getting confused as to why anyone would care about what's switched on or off unless it measurably affects what you're seeing.

Scanning backilght affects image quality by eliminating motion blur - a common shortcoming with LCD sets.

On HD, it's turned off, meaning that motion blur is back.

That's all. Hardly a huge deal, but it does make some people wonder.

Other shortcomings of the set is that sometimes, depending on the settings, very obvious MPEG macro blocking is displayed.

I'm not attacking Philips, i love them, i'm just reporting what i see on the AVForums.

The overdrive technology is still used for HD sources - it seems it's the DSB stuff that's switched off.

But really the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it delivers a fantastic HD image (which it seems to) does it really matter whether certain technology is switched on or not?

The overdrive tech does help with response times yes, but in no way does it address today's biggest shortcoming with LCD motion display. That's what the shuttered/scanning backlight is for (IIRC shuttered backlights were introduced by BenQ).

London-boy, I also have no idea why they would disable the sets biggest feature on HD programming. I doubt it has anything to do with the increase in resolution though (as far as tech issues are concerned; marketing need not apply). The tech is not reliant on the source resolution.

Mariner, I'm also guessing that you are right on the Clear LCD 2.0 thing. 6 months from now the "real" version will come out.

Hey companies make boneheaded decisions all the time. Cutting features like this after promoting them heavily (and not really documenting the limitations with regards to HD) is both misleading and pointless.

Well it seems that (as i've already posted in the other thread) the Sony W-Series took the crown even against this Philips, apparently having better contrast and blacks than a Plasma... Which in itself is quite impressive even if they're exaggerating, as it would mean the set has very impressive blacks and contrast compared to LCD in general...

I'm surprised that it doesn't do 1080p for that kind of price, especially as other companies are beginning to bring them out.

LB linked to a screen available here in the UK. There are no screens or sources that run higher than 1366x768 here at present. Thats our one and only "HD signal". So, a tad better than 720p, but only half the resolution of 1080i/p. We arent expected to see the higher versions until 2009/10. It sucks.

I'm waiting for SED :D but I'll be curious to check this out in a store, hopefully soon! Ty for the info.

Dont be suprised if you still havent seen one in 2 years from now. I first heard about SED 4 years ago, still no viable hardware on it though.

LB linked to a screen available here in the UK. There are no screens or sources that run higher than 1366x768 here at present. Thats our one and only "HD signal". So, a tad better than 720p, but only half the resolution of 1080i/p. We arent expected to see the higher versions until 2009/10. It sucks.

Who's "we"??

1080p perfectly capable of taking and displaying 1080p through HDMI and whatnot have been available here in the UK for months. That would be the Sony X-series.

Sony is releasing an "affordable" 1080p panel right now, the W-Series (should be out this week). It is said to have such image quality to rival Plasma wrt blacks and contrast, plus you get 1080p thrown in too. :D

Back