So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

What I find truly amazing is that Newegg appears to actually be selling them for retail price even though they are "selling out." And not jacking up the price as they usually do.

Which makes them between 50-110 USD cheaper than the 8800 GT. :oops:

Holy cow... I REALLY wasn't expecting that. I was totally expecting Newegg to be pricing the 3870 for 239-259 USD.

Hmmm, if HD 3870 somehow drops to 199 USD in December that would be pretty tempting.

Regards,
SB

What I find truly amazing is that Newegg appears to actually be selling them for retail price even though they are "selling out." And not jacking up the price as they usually do.

Which makes them between 50-110 USD cheaper than the 8800 GT. :oops:

Holy cow... I REALLY wasn't expecting that. I was totally expecting Newegg to be pricing the 3870 for 239-259 USD.

Hmmm, if HD 3870 somehow drops to 199 USD in December that would be pretty tempting.

Regards,
SB

INteresting thing though is that the 3870 is all sold out, thought it would be the 3850 that would do that interesting.

INteresting thing though is that the 3870 is all sold out, thought it would be the 3850 that would do that interesting.

At first I thought that as well too but after giving it some thought, I concluded that it had to do mostly with videocard enthusiast mania, who I think would prefer the 3870 over the 3850.

Once the enthusiast's enthusiasm settles down, we should see the 3850 start to outsell the 3870

file56f4894nn7.jpg

http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1195210744

I expected more... :???:

IMO the most important thing still to figure out is R680 only 2xRV670 in CF on 1 board, or is it something more - IMO the different chip codename would give out that it's something more, but then again... who knows?:???:

But the blades of that fan push air forwards with it = noisy.
Actually, they are not designed to "push" air. The design of these types of fans and housing is such that they create a pressure chamber and use the different pressures generated to move air through.

Actually, they are not designed to "push" air. The design of these types of fans and housing is such that they create a pressure chamber and use the different pressures generated to move air through.

What you mentioned recalls me the term of vortex flow?

However, I do not curtain about this since I work in structural dynamic area not the heat transfer ;)

Here is another report on HD 3870 and 8800GT stock.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/default.aspx?bid=311

I've also gotten some information about new 8800 GTs making their way into the channel. Thus far it looks like around 1500 8800 GTs are incoming to a major distributor between now and 12/31. Obviously that's not many cards and they won't even be enough to cover pre-orders, so get in the queue now if you want one and you find a vendor selling it at the price you're looking for. The good news is that I'm seeing 8800 GT prices in the $230 - $250 range, but that's before any vendor markup. It looks like once these things get into your hands you'll be paying at least $250 for them.

The numbers I'm seeing confidentially are showing AMD with more product coming into the channel now, which should help keep its pricing reasonable. If the 8800 GTs do indeed stay above $250, the new Radeon HD 3800 cards look like they may indeed have a place in the market.

This report semi comfirms the other report.

All the reviews say it's very quiet.
I'm talking about the X2900XT/3870 X2 fan. The 38x0 fan style is good.

Actually, they are not designed to "push" air.
I know how they work and yes, forward facing centrifugal fans do actually push the air forward.
This helps with air flow but hurts power/noise efficiency.

See this picture: (from EB)
board_front.jpg

The fan rotates clockwise.
Air flows in from the hole, passes through the fan blades into the high-pressure area in the shroud & out to the heatsink along the bottom & to the left.

Now trace the flow that the air goes through to get to the heatsink, notice how it has to bend forward to get through the blade.
After joining the high pressure air in the shroud, this air will be flowing forward faster than the other high pressure air & will vortex causing noise & drag.

Compare this with the flow pattern of the back sloping fan blades: (from legitreviews)
radeon_3850.jpg

This provides a much more gentle transfer into the high-pressure region = less vortexing = less noise & less drag.

Those overclock results from the HardwareCanucks review are phenomenal.

Are those typical results? Does the G92 overclock well?

Also, the advantages they saw to installing an aftermarket cooler were pretty mind blowing.

Those overclock results from the HardwareCanucks review are phenomenal.

Are those typical results? Does the G92 overclock well?

Also, the advantages they saw to installing an aftermarket cooler were pretty mind blowing.

At least for the core, VR-Zone's first test got the same 860MHz on core, with stock cooler & Overdrive

Back