AMD: M88 or Mobility RV670

Pressure

Veteran
Basically we know it is based around the RV670 chip and according to Fudzilla it has quite a few OEM design wins.

As with most mobile offering I guess it will be clocked a lot lower than the desktop equivalent but I am wondering whether or not it will retain the same number of Stream Processors, so it at least will have some performance parity with the desktop parts.

If they could fit it inside a 35 Watt Thermal Design Power I would be very pleased.

Anyone sitting on some information regarding the M88 or otherwise want to chime in, please feel free to post :)

Yeah, I thought AMD and/or partners would make an announcement at CES, but AFAIK there haven't even been any reported sightings, whereas some of NV's new mobile parts have been spotted, such as the 9500GS (looks like a rebranded G84 though) and 8800M GTS. I would imagine that RV670 has a lot of potential for the mobility space given its die size, thermals (PowerPlay) and performance -- a small, DX10 successor to the prolific G71M.

With notebooks it seems as though both IHV's defer to the partners to launch/announce new GPU's in their new designs for the cycle and thus I'm wondering whether the Mobility RV670 is still a few months out. If it was going to be launched "soon", then an announcement at CES would have made sense; the dearth of any leaks or sightings at the show says something.

I would think it will use new A12 revision of RV670, which seems to allow Sapphire to make a 904MHz 3870, which does not need more voltage and stays with a 79GTX-like cooler @60°C @ 3D.

So ~3850-performance should be possible for M88 @ 35W.

I would think it will use new A12 revision of RV670, which seems to allow Sapphire to make a 904MHz 3870, which does not need more voltage and stays with a 79GTX-like cooler @60°C @ 3D.

So ~3850-performance should be possible for M88 @ 35W.

A revision? Didn't Sapphire just put an extra phase on their PCB? Several partners have started making custom PCBs for RV670. I guess we'll have to wait until we get some naked pics of that Sapphire card.

Back