So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

A while back we reported about how ATI was working on a new chip called RV670. This is still very much true, but the report said that it was a mid-end chip, it's not. RV670 is a die-shrink of the R600 with some redistributed resources; a better proportion between shader processors and TMUs and ROPs. Basically this means less shader processors in favor of more TMUs and ROPs, which should seriously improve the gaming performance of the Radeon HD 29XX (the XXs are since we're not sure what it will be called).
Link

AMD is going to release Radeon HD 2900Pro in Q4 2007. It is between 2900XT and 2600XT. It used the same R600 core with Radeon HD 2900XT but reduced.
AMD official data showed it used 80nm process and the price is about 200$. AMD has announced that the RV670 chip used 55nm process will come in Q1, 2008 and the graphic card used RV670 was named Radeon HD 2950 Pro now.
Link

:rolleyes:

R670 = RV670 * 2:

R670 has two RV670 on single PCB - Q1 2008
The next generation of ATI graphics cards will be made up of two RV670 GPUs and as far as we know it will be codenamed R670. This won’t be a 65 or 55 nanometre version of the R600 core, it is a PCB with two mainstream chips on it.

So the opponents in highest enthusiast segment will be: G92-GX2 vs RV670-X2X. :eek:

I hope ATi's CF will catch up with this step to SLI (editable profiles ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

A while back we reported about how ATI was working on a new chip called RV670. This is still very much true, but the report said that it was a mid-end chip, it's not. RV670 is a die-shrink of the R600 with some redistributed resources; a better proportion between shader processors and TMUs and ROPs. Basically this means less shader processors in favor of more TMUs and ROPs, which should seriously improve the gaming performance of the Radeon HD 29XX (the XXs are since we're not sure what it will be called).

That's kind of intresting. Why would they code name the chip RV then if it's performance is better than R600? If they were to cut down on the shaders and up the TMU and ROP count, does that not suggust a 2:1 ratio? Let's say 48:24? I really don't see that outperforming a 64:16 ratio by any considerable amount if at all and should they not have a much larger transistor budget at 55nm? Perhaps that is why it's given the RV moniker. Maybe a simple prelude to what we may see in R700.

AMD is going to release Radeon HD 2900Pro in Q4 2007. It is between 2900XT and 2600XT. It used the same R600 core with Radeon HD 2900XT but reduced.

This one is new to me and this news was just posted yesterday.:p
Again sounds intresting. If I was to guess on the specs of this one, sounds like 48:12:12. A disabled shader array, texture engine and render back end. Maybe a new revision that leaks less power and somes with a single slot cooler?

The next generation of ATI graphics cards will be made up of two RV670 GPUs and as far as we know it will be codenamed R670. This won’t be a 65 or 55 nanometre version of the R600 core, it is a PCB with two mainstream chips on it.

Now this sounds like something that could give a good smack to R600.;)
And again sounds like a prelude to what is to come in R700 given Richard Huddy's statments of "multi GPU is the way to go".

R600Pro is 320SP 600MHz 256bit

ttp://ati.amd.com/products/workstation/fireglmatrix.html

RV670 might be shrink this.

As the base of R670, RV670 Radeon HD 2900 PRO will launch in this Q4 and replace RV570 Radeon 1950 PRO. It will be between R600 and RV630. RV670 will use 55nm technology and it is also the AMD-ATI only this kind of product in 2007.
Link

AMD-ATI will release R670 graphic card composed by two RV670 cores in next Jan to against NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra.

AMD looks very optimistic, they think in 2008jan still need to fight in enthusiast segment against the 8800ultra ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your comemment is a little :LOL:

That arcticle was not made by AMD... but someone else on that website.
That is basic....

What so funny in my comment? its a rumor than every other one, i just write what i think when the rumor coming true, i not belive 100% any rumor but when we not comment the rumors than every rumor topic can be closed with 20 posts :smile:

What so funny in my comment? its a rumor than every other one, i just write what i think when the rumor coming true, i not belive 100% any rumor but when we not comment the rumors than every rumor topic can be closed with 20 posts :smile:

You said that AMD looks optimistic because the part of 8800 ultra.

But instead you should say that Hardspell looks optimistic because they think that Nvidia will not launch another high-end till January ;)

You said that AMD looks optimistic because the part of 8800 ultra.

But instead you should say that Hardspell looks optimistic because they think that Nvidia will not launch another high-end till January ;)

When rumor true AMD coming out with 2xrv670 based card, than AMD not optimistic about that NV in 2008jan have only 8800ultra as highend card?
When you say no than you are optimistic think that 2xrv670 have a single chance to fight against NV 65nm highend GPU (when its released in the same timeframe as the 2xrv670 based card) ;)

When rumor true AMD coming out with 2xrv670 based card, than AMD not optimistic about that NV in 2008jan have only 8800ultra as highend card?
When you say no than you are optimistic think that 2xrv670 have a single chance to fight against NV 65nm highend GPU (when its released in the same timeframe as the 2xrv670 based card) ;)

I have reason to believe that R670(2xRV670) is a test bed or should I say prelude to R700.

Let's not jump and say they have to staple two chips to keep up.

I have reason to believe that R670(2xRV670) is a test bed or should I say prelude to R700.

Let's not jump and say they have to staple two chips to keep up.

Hopefully dual x1950pro is not a prelude of this.

2GPU-1 PCB or gx2 style 2GPU-2 PCB cards biggest problem is still the scaling, noone care when in far cry scale almost 100% in high resolution with maximum graphics and filters 80 vs 158fps and in rainbow six vegas scale ~15% 30 vs 35 fps.

Hopefully dual x1950pro is not a prelude of this.

2GPU-1 PCB or gx2 style 2GPU-2 PCB cards biggest problem is still the scaling, noone care when in far cry scale almost 100% in high resolution with maximum graphics and filters 80 vs 158fps and in rainbow six vegas scale ~15% 30 vs 35 fps.

I think the major difference between R670 and R700 would be a more natural approch being done on R700. Instead of two packages on the same PCB, I'm thinking both chips(or more), will be on the same package. Think Kentsfield here. Possibly AFR may not even be in the equation in this kind of scenario.

I thought the scaling of the Dual 1950pro was pretty good TBH. In some cases, it was even faster than a crossfire set up of 1950pro's with two seperate boards, perhaps because data does not have to travel thru a bridge?

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=387&Itemid=27&limit=1&limitstart=2

I think the major difference between R670 and R700 would be a more natural approch being done on R700. Instead of two packages on the same PCB, I'm thinking both chips(or more), will be on the same package. Think Kentsfield here. Possibly AFR may not even be in the equation in this kind of scenario.

Yes i think that too, 2-4 maybe 8core in the same die package.

I thought the scaling of the Dual 1950pro was pretty good TBH. In some cases, it was even faster than a crossfire set up of 1950pro's with two seperate boards, perhaps because data does not have to travel thru a bridge?

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=387&Itemid=27&limit=1&limitstart=2

Here is the scaling problem what i write in my last post:

hl2ep1-1280aa.png

fear-1280aa.png

Where needed the scaling much lower.

Dual GPU cards need good driver support, the pressure on the driver team already enormous, AMD need to make better products and not wait the magic for the driver team what never come.

That doesn't really make much sense there, you know they will need a 1024 bit if its a dual core.

Yes i think that too, 2-4 maybe 8core in the same die package.

Here is the scaling problem what i write in my last post:

Where needed the scaling much lower.

Dual GPU cards need good driver support, the pressure on the driver team already enormous, AMD need to make better products and not wait the magic for the driver team what never come.

If you look at 1600x1200 with or without AA/AF, scaling is above 90% in most cases.

Back