Silent Hill 4 pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
notAFanB said:
to be fair London-boy, Developers (or any sort) are extremely unlikely to throw away their engines and build them from scratch, an overall rewrite is often more than enough to solve most demands.

Doom 3 being an exception of course.

Isn't that what i was saying? :D

Doom3 has been in development since before i was born (well, maybe not that long, but u get my point), of course it will have a new engine. Any new game thats been in development long enough will likely have a new engine (depending on the developer of course)...

Developing a new engine takes years and a lot of resources, both technological and financial, and it won't happen for a sequel that's coming out just one year after the last game in the series.

All i'll say is, look at those pics. Then imagine... In the next generation... :oops:

As many already expressed i also share this emotions about "milking the concept" too much. SH3 was a great game sure, it delivered great visuals compared too SH2, But the "magic" and "story" that made me love SH2 soo much was almost gone. I hope that SH4 will bring back that magic but maybe i´m just dreaming.

overclocked said:
As many already expressed i also share this emotions about "milking the concept" too much. SH3 was a great game sure, it delivered great visuals compared too SH2, But the "magic" and "story" that made me love SH2 soo much was almost gone. I hope that SH4 will bring back that magic but maybe i´m just dreaming.

Yes, i agree about the "magic" part. Although i must say, i have never played SH1 and apparently the 2 (SH1 and 3) were strongly connected... Maybe that's what i'm missing... :?
SH2 always seemed the outsider, the guy happening to be in silent hill but with no connection at all with the mythology of the SH universe. Maybe that's what made it that much interesting and somewhat different...

But the "magic" and "story" that made me love SH2 soo much was almost gone. I hope that SH4 will bring back that magic but maybe i´m just dreaming.

that's what years of conditioning ot feel that sequels in an franchise shouldn't deviate from established formulas will do to you :p

for the most part SH3 plotline was good and reasonably non-convoluted (subtext was rather interesting but under reresented imo). it really does look like SH is evolving into a horror-story of the month type of structure.

not necessarily a bad thing imo.

PS: I'm excluding Sports games in this case btw

SH2 always seemed the outsider, the guy happening to be in silent hill but with no connection at all with the mythology of the SH universe. Maybe that's what made it that much interesting and somewhat different...

I think i wrote something when i first played SH3 that it´s hard/harder too get into the story when a female is the "hero"... Idon´t know how much it did but i´m pretty certain that if a male had been the "hero" in SH3 it had been more easy too swallow the story.

for the most part SH3 plotline was good and reasonably non-convoluted (subtext was rather interesting but under reresented imo). it really does look like SH is evolving into a horror-story of the month type of structure.

That´s what i´m fearing...

Yep, I think that Heather (was that her name?) was not a very good character, certainly not on par with SH2's poor soul(s).

Well, you could say she was suffering from manic depression (or was having her periods during the game) as that was the impression I got from her mood swings in Silent Hill 3.

Edit: If they'd replaced Heather with Henry in SH3, I think he'd had to be gay at least :) (or alter the script remarkably.)

rabidrabbit said:
Yep, I think that Heather (was that her name?) was not a very good character, certainly not on par with SH2's poor soul(s).

Well, you could say she was suffering from manic depression (or was having her periods during the game) as that was the impression I got from her mood swings in Silent Hill 3.

Edit: If they'd replaced Heather with Henry in SH3, I think he'd had to be gay at least :) (or alter the script remarkably.)

Heather was very Buffy-ish, which to me isnt a bad thing for an action kind of game, however the unsettling psychological disturbed world and characters of SH2 were just more interesting.
Don't know, but after playing SH2, SH3 felt like a "simple" horror kind of game, whereas SH2 always felt like a "better psychological experience"... SH2 characters had more layers to them, SH3 ones were simply "either the bad guy or the good guy", apart from the librarian guy...

Technically SH3 was amazing, untouched on the PS2 IMO, but as an experience, SH2 touched my heart and made me feel more intricated emotions than SH3...

overclocked said:
Ok little geek warning but i think that Heather was pretty sexy... ;)

Insomniacs generally are... :oops:

Heather was very Buffy-ish

really? the impression I got was that she was (see above) dazed and unable to discrened reality from fiction most of the time.

That´s what i´m fearing...

nah, it'll be fine. episodic strutures can work well if they don't require too much branching story arcs. (and are short to boot)

notAFanB said:
Heather was very Buffy-ish

really? the impression I got was that she was (see above) dazed and unable to discrened reality from fiction most of the time.

Yeah but she also had her strong moments. Buffy herself only becomes properly sure of whats going on around her later on in the 7 series... Of course the characters are very different, but the general theme is also quite similar, funny jokes and sassy remarks included...

Damn i hope this game has a whole new beginning like sh2 did. It really made me think just what in the hell is going on with that town since sh1 and sh2 weren't really connected in any way with all the weird things happening and all.

Damn this is going too be a fine gaming year, MGS3 and Halo2 were/is the one that i was thinking of earlier but now SH4 also.
Where is the GC games? Hope they pull out a Pilotwings or something..

Damn this is going too be a fine gaming year, MGS3 and Halo2 were/is the one that i was thinking of earlier but now SH4 also.
I am also sooo looking forward to 'Siren' and 'Nico'. However, I'm not even sure Siren is getting a US release, and I'm not sure Nico even exists.

SH3 promo material had exact same kind of pre-rendered artwork for the characters as well, but the game used realtime cut scenes.

Is the titlescreen song/movie sequences in SH3 realtime or a movie of the in-game graphics? I can't see any coding artifacts, but if they use sufficient bitrate that wouldn't be the case anyway.

Guden Oden said:
Is the titlescreen song/movie sequences in SH3 realtime or a movie of the in-game graphics? I can't see any coding artifacts, but if they use sufficient bitrate that wouldn't be the case anyway.

That is a recorded movie, not real time. But you can see exactly the same or better graphics in game, as the movie is blurred comparing to in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back