Debate Time: When did Resident Evil and Silent Hill "die" for you?

Roger Cobb

Regular
So with all these people on websites having their own take on games in the franchises that people like and hate, I decided to well, spice up the forum.

I think SH3 was the last good game for me. SH4: The Room retained the same general feeling, but was too hard and made awkward over the sheer amount of backtracking. But SH0 was a good game from the post Team Silent period. Everything after that though, was meh.

RE in my opinion became something different with RE4, but in changing things up, it wasn't a game that I felt was in any way bad. But it didn't feel like the other RE games. But as a game that's treated as a game by itself, it's definitely good. But RE5, 6 and so on, I cannot be bothered with.

SH1 needed a remake over SH2. There! I said it. :)

I don't know what to make of SHf, as I reckon it's probably another game that uses a famous license to sell it. For I mean, how it is related to Silent Hill? They've moved the storyline over to Japan, and Silent Hill is set in a New England based region. So it's almost like the games are just horror games, all with the same IP, but not really in any way properly connected. Not that the games ever really were supposed to be linked. 1 and 3 are about the only ones, with subtle mentionings being present in other games. But I think SHf is one of these games where if you have a legacy franchise behind it, it's gonna be a step up from mediocre, but still be classed as weak unless it plays like the others. So I'm sceptical.

Typos are lame. :p

Last edited:
For silent hill it was after 3. Resident evil never died for me. Although I was let down by re6, everything after has been pretty good so far though
Yea, RE is one of my favorite gaming franchises, but for me it's like this:

RE1, RE2, RE3, CV = Amazing classics
RE4, RE5, RE6 = downfall
RE7, RE2R, RE3R, RE8 = comeback

RE4R looks like it will actually turn RE4 into a game I like... so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Now what I'm REALLY holding out hope for.. is a Dino Crisis Remake in the same vein.

4 is one of my favorite games ever and 5 was fun. Can't relate 😂
4 and 5 aren't terrible, but they lead the series to RE6.. which was a truly awful Resident Evil game, so I hold them accountable 😄

But don't get me wrong.. RE4 obviously has its fans and its place in the series. I wouldn't take that away from it.. but I just simply prefer the classic survival horror style.

I think RE2R is the perfect mix of what I want with new modern sensibilities. I think Capcom has been doing an awesome job with them. I drool at the prospect of Dino Crisis getting the same treatment lol.

Only the first 2 games were really survival horror...although re1 was more like a comedy for me 😂 atleast until the GameCube remake. Re3 was very action focused.

The idea that REs true nature is strictly survival horror seems wrong, although I can see the appeal. Even in those games though, you went from naked at the start to a tank by the end as you gained confidence and weapons. So it could never be considered true survival horror

RE died with RE2 for me :D

I finished RE1 at the time because it was so intriguing for me. But the tank controls were so frustrating (even if I didn't know it had a name at the time). When I saw it was back in RE2... Nope nope nope, good bye.

Liked Re5 and 6 because i played them in coop and it was great fun.
I would not have played through RE7 if there had not been a VR mode. It was awesome in VR.
Loved SH 1-2-3. Never played others, or barely the psp one. I hope SH2 remake will be good.

As much as I loved Resi 3, I was feeling the signs of its deterioriation since that one and where the series was headi g

The game begun giving you way too much ammo, too much powerful weapons, evasion and the difficulty was getting less.

Resi 3 lost a lot of its atmosphere but wasnt hat bad yet. Code Veronica was showing signs were the story and characters begun taking a bad turn too. Fun but...meh. Too much weapons, convoluted story, Chris and Wesker lost their charm

Resi 4 was no longer a survival horror. It was just action. From that point all bad signs were finding fruition. 5 and 6 were horrible. Characters became action superficial figures, the story was becoming outright silly and stupid, and the games were just action.

Silent Hill for me peaked with 2. 3 was good but was becoming easier but still good. 4 was okeyish, but after the amazing visuals and atmosphere of 2 and 3 something was off. Didnt play origins, but the reboot that started on Wii sucked balls and jome coming was mimicking the movie instead of following the steps of Team Silent. It fucked up the original lore by puting the movie explanation in, and the game was just boring and superficial. Never dried any othervsilent hill since

Interesting thread. Two things I'm taking away from this thread combined with what I hear from other people in other places.
  • Original fans of the series don't like RE4 because it changes up the RE formula.
  • Most new fans of the series are only fans because of the change in the RE formula starting with RE4.
I see this in my group of RL friends as well. RE 1 and 2 are considered the best by the original fans of the series. RE4 is considered the best by new fans who didn't play 1, 2, or 3 because they didn't like RE back then.

It makes me wonder if RE would still exist today as a AAA title versus being relegated to AA or Indie budget statues if they didn't make the change back with RE4. Sales and interest in RE were on the decline before RE4 gave the series another lease on life. RE4 is when sales for the series really took off basically doubling the sales of any previous RE game.

It reminds me of me with the Fallout IP. I dislike Fallout 3 and anything newer because they aren't really Fallout. It changed the IP too much for me and not in good ways, IMO. However, FO3, similar to RE4, greatly increased sales and interest in the IP.

I'd love for Fallout to go back to its roots but that style of gameplay design can't really support a AAA budget. It's likely the same for the RE IP. I suspect that it needs the sales numbers that the changes that RE4 brought in (and the evolution of those changes into modern RE games) in order to sustain a AAA budget.

Regards,
SB

Interesting thread. Two things I'm taking away from this thread combined with what I hear from other people in other places.
  • Original fans of the series don't like RE4 because it changes up the RE formula.
  • Most new fans of the series are only fans because of the change in the RE formula starting with RE4.
I see this in my group of RL friends as well. RE 1 and 2 are considered the best by the original fans of the series. RE4 is considered the best by new fans who didn't play 1, 2, or 3 because they didn't like RE back then.

It makes me wonder if RE would still exist today as a AAA title versus being relegated to AA or Indie budget statues if they didn't make the change back with RE4. Sales and interest in RE were on the decline before RE4 gave the series another lease on life. RE4 is when sales for the series really took off basically doubling the sales of any previous RE game.

It reminds me of me with the Fallout IP. I dislike Fallout 3 and anything newer because they aren't really Fallout. It changed the IP too much for me and not in good ways, IMO. However, FO3, similar to RE4, greatly increased sales and interest in the IP.

I'd love for Fallout to go back to its roots but that style of gameplay design can't really support a AAA budget. It's likely the same for the RE IP. I suspect that it needs the sales numbers that the changes that RE4 brought in (and the evolution of those changes into modern RE games) in order to sustain a AAA budget.

Regards,
SB
I have doubts that Resi 4 would have been the success it was if it wasnt for the previous games though.

Despite that Resi4 wasnt liked as much as the previous games by old fans, almost every one of the older fans bought it because it was the only real next gen sequel after CV and we old fans couldnt ignore it. It was a good game and a continuation of the story. Of course we would jump in. So it had old and new fans jumping on board because it was a resident evil sequel

4's formula was wearing out fast with the sequels of course and it shows that it wasnt a good one to keep. New and old fans were getting bored and 6 was enough. They almost killed the franchise.

After 4 it lacked atmosphere and personality and was becoming more of a joke and a game that doesnt stand out much from your typical action game. The story was worn out and characters were getting less and less interesting.

Which ended up re-engineering the formula to bring it back to what make Resident Evil games great. Atmosphere, fear and a sense of helplessness. I loved 7 even though it wasnt like the original games. I also loved Resi 2 Remake although I wasnt fond of the cut content and some changes they made in the story. It proved that the old formula could have been adapted to the times, and Resi 4 might have still been a success if it tried to do that.

So yeah the old formula can be updated and still work

I like CV a lot. It's claustrophobic and has some of the best music of any RE game. Music is almost non existent now in the franchise, which makes me appreciate the older games all the more. People say CV is weird and all. But then allow yourself to introduce me to Lady Dimitrescu, Osmund Saddler, Karl Heisenberg, Morpheus, and other strange villains in the series.

I think RE4 is a brilliant game, but it certainly has never felt like a "true" RE game, because of the change in game style and the camera position being switched across to over the shoulder, and the emphasis on action is evident throughout. Of which 5 and 6 were a cluster fudge of despair as well.

But the one thing I detest about new horror games, is the shopping format, which may or may not include merchants being present.

While I will admit, the merchants themselves can make for a good experience, they feel unwanted to myself, as I prefer to have total isolation and the element of surprise.

I don't know. I just find that's a horrible way to take away from the horror side of the experience. Like, if you recall RE 1, 2, etc, you mostly had to find things yourself, until enemies began having 'drops' for certain items. It came as a surprise when eventually, you came across a grenade launcher, a new shotgun, or something better than your bog standard knife and pistol. So I think buying things, as opposed to finding them in the places you may end up in, is kind of what helped to ruin the franchise. That, and the milking and constant revisitations to the year 1998.

I think 1998 needs to be erased. Seriously. :D

Back