Shopping Mister Davros

Davros

Legend
Bring me the head of Dave Bauman..................

Why? well, as you know for eyefinity you need 3 monitors one of which must be displayport (or an active adapter)

Lies................

why because the second dvi port is dvi-D in other words it supports digital displays only it will not work with a dsub monitor...

You work for ati therefore its all your fault ;)

you should of made sure all 69 series cards have 2 dvi-I connections, not 1 dvi-I and one dvi-D

Have you seen how hard they are to find!!!!!
britain's largest pc retailer stocks (out 49) 2 displayport monitors 1 being an apple 27" which is £920
and the other one isnt exactly cheap either

does one really need to be display port? Why not HDMI?
There's an Asus 27" at the egg for $309 USD, but I want 3x 24" 19x12 monitors since I have 1x that right now. Only 19x12 monitors are like white tigers these days.

one needs to be a display port (or an active displayport apdater)
what they do not mention is the second dvi port will not support a vga monitor
vga only monitors are still the most common in europe displayport is very rare even hdmi is quite rare
for example the retailer i mentioned out of 49 monitors 17 are vga only 10 have hdmi 2 have displayport
the rest are vga/dvi

and those adpaters they may be common in canada but try finding them in the u.k

Wow thats very kind of you
but i got a friend to order this one (not from new egg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e_display_port_adapter-_-14-999-030-_-Product (works well did research and found only good things said about them irt eyefinity)

have it connected via mini displayport to normal displayport adapter --displayport to dvi adapter -- dvi monitor

ps: in xp uninstalled nv drivers rebooted to make sure everything was still working. shut down removed nv card, put in ati card switched on pc got to xp splash screen then screen goes black with a mouse pointer that wont move cant even get no further in safe mode - well done ati

I've switched between Nvidia and ATI and back many times on my XP installation, and never had any issues. There are a lot of myths floating around on the Interweb about this is supposedly a complicated procedure but in my experience it isn't even strictly necessary to remove the software. It just works.

But in case of problems like yours, I'd recommend putting the Nv card back and making sure that works alright, then doing an uninstall, then running driver sweeper and selecting standard VGA on the next bootup. Then swapping out the cards.

the last thing i did was run driver sweaper but didnt start xp with the nv card after that(could it of possibly removed all display settings even standard vga adapter)

ps: in vista installed ati drivers into program files\ati
but also have a c:\ati\support folder can i delete it ?

The C:\ati\ directory is more for extraction of the compressed distribution package that then runs the installer into whatever directory you specified, typically C:\Program Files\ati\. I always remove the C:\ati\ or C:\nvidia\ or C:\intel\ directories only after two system reboots to make sure nothing that's needed is hanging around on post install steps.

vga only monitors are still the most common in europe displayport is very rare even hdmi is quite rare
They're what now? I can't even remember when I last time saw VGA-only monitor (perhaps some OEM machines have 'em but who's using such for Eyefinity anyway?)

I can't even remember when I last time saw VGA-only monitor (perhaps some OEM machines have 'em but who's using such for Eyefinity anyway?)

Most likely they were sold brand new with a Windows XP system.

The second one is DVI-D? Well I suppose it is 2011 and since they put a zillion other jacks on there too they wanted to save a tiny bit of cost. I'll have to remember that when I want to hook up my awesome 19" CRT!!!!!! :D

Found it
Market research firm WitsView believes that a new EU tax on large screen DVI monitors will seriously damage the LCD industry. Since January 18, the European Commission has added a 14 per cent import duty on large-sized LCD monitors.
The tax affects 19-inch and above monitors which are not manufactured within the European Union, and are designed with expansion slots or ports for video or DVI cards.
Only 19-inch 4:3 monitors and smaller screens are excluded

ps: tried putting the gtx260 back and booting into xp works fine but it will not boot into xp with the ati installed

Yeesh, with all the taxes you guys get, and all the behind the scenes corporate taxes, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if in some countries over there over 80% of your income is eventually gone to pay taxes somewhere along the purchase, manufacturing, shipping, etc. chain... :p

Regards,
SB

Back