Shopping Mister Davros

Hence why we find it quite amusing when u.s citizens are complaining about how their taxes are too high in the political threads especially petrol...

ps: any solution to my xp problem (nuke xp is not a solution ;))

Did you already do the whole process of nuking the Nvidia driver with the card in the system, and then installing the Standard VGA driver that comes with windows (with the Nvidia card still in). After doing all that, then shut down and swap cards.

That will make sure some other driver isn't getting installed.

The other thing to check. Can you boot into safe mode with the ATI card in? If we can't get into safe mode (automatically uses the safe Standard VGA driver), then there's a far more serious problem.

Regards,
SB

@ silent totally nuked nv driver and ran driver sweeper
tried add new hardware it asks for driver to install but i dont know where standard vga driver is
still locks up in safe mode

Oh so I'm supposed to go through that amd list and find out what other brand names those adapters are sold under ?

ps: now I have another problem
heres what amd's help says
"From the Graphics menu, click Desktops & Displays. Alternatively, click the Home button in the Catalyst Control Center banner.
In the desktop arrangement area, right-click the desktop for the display group, and then click either Add Bezel Compensation or Configure Bezel Compensation as required in the context menu that appears."

Well it doesnt appear

"From the Graphics menu, click Desktops & Displays. Alternatively, click the Home button in the Catalyst Control Center banner.
In the desktop arrangement area, right-click the desktop for the display group, and then click either Add Bezel Compensation or Configure Bezel Compensation as required in the context menu that appears."

Well it doesnt appear
[image]

Right click one of the little triangles on the little screens at the bottom. I know, it's an interface nightmare.

Maybe it's inside the Display Group option? AMD still hasn't (and may never) implemented PLP for Eyefinity, so I haven't set it up myself at home. It'll be a while before I get another 2x 30" monitors just for Eyefinity. :) But I would love to do a 20" (P) - 30" (L) - 20" (P) setup.

Back to your XP problem. If it can't get into safe mode then there's some relatively serious problem somewhere. I'm assuming you're dual booting XP and Vista so all of your hardware is the same.

If you have time you might try a new install of XP, preferably on a spare HDD so you don't have to redo your XP install if it doesn't work. How it does there may help to narrowing down where a potential problem might be. Whether or not it locks up the display. And if it does, when it happens.

Ah I don't miss troubleshooting hardware for a living. :D It can be such a PITA sometimes.

Regards,
SB

No...
ps: ive marked in red how the displays are actually laid out on my desk

ps: about xp yep dual boot xp/vista
what I will try (will leave it for a few days cos im sick of pissing about with the pc at the mo) is take out the ati card, put in a nv card install nv drivers
then either take out the nv card and put in the ati card without uninstalling nv drivers or try booting with nv card and drivers and ati card
if that works hopefully i can install amd drivers

Update motherboard BIOS, it might cure XP - Radeon problem.

Not uninstalling nVidia drivers is a good idea too :)

Hmm have you added the displays to the same display group yet?

Are these identical displays? Eyefinity is finicky if they aren't. Doesn't matter if one is connected thru DP/VGA cable tho.

You can tell it's one display group in his post above. If it's just extended desktop then there would be a black triangle in each monitor in the top half of Displays in Catalyst instead of only on the small monitors in the bottom half.

One kooky thing to try Davros. Try connecting to a VGA connector instead of DVI when booting into XP. I had a Sun Micro 24" monitor in Japan that absolutely refused to work over DVI with an X800 I had a fews years back. Worked fine with all other ATI cards I've had. And that card worked fine with other DVI monitors. Ended up having to use VGA with that card for 3 months. :p Might have been a video card BIOS problem with timings or something. But it was only that one monitor that hated it.

Regards,
SB

ive tried with a vga monitor
ps: it not that im not getting a display and the pc is working the pc is locking up mouse pointer wont move
numlock on the keyboard stops working hdd is spinning ect

You can tell it's one display group in his post above. If it's just extended desktop then there would be a black triangle in each monitor in the top half of Displays in Catalyst instead of only on the small monitors in the bottom half.

One kooky thing to try Davros. Try connecting to a VGA connector instead of DVI when booting into XP. I had a Sun Micro 24" monitor in Japan that absolutely refused to work over DVI with an X800 I had a fews years back. Worked fine with all other ATI cards I've had. And that card worked fine with other DVI monitors. Ended up having to use VGA with that card for 3 months. :p Might have been a video card BIOS problem with timings or something. But it was only that one monitor that hated it.

Regards,
SB

Okay sorry for the thread derail but one of my engineers up dated his catalyst drivers (HD5XXX series) and now he can only connect to his monitor using his card's DVI output -> to -> VGA. DVI straight to DVI is gone. WTF?

Okay sorry for the thread derail but one of my engineers up dated his catalyst drivers (HD5XXX series) and now he can only connect to his monitor using his card's DVI output -> to -> VGA. DVI straight to DVI is gone. WTF?

Well, when I had this problem it was something to do with the card mis-reading the EDID info from the monitor. Either that or the monitors EDID info was incorrect but other cards were ignoring the incorrect information.

When you use a VGA adapter, you're basically not bothering to read the EDID info from the monitor.

If he reverts his Cats to the previous version or rolls back the driver, does it work again?

I had something similar with my old Gateway 30" monitor. Except in that case, I could get it to work as long as I booted with it disconnected and connected it (to DVI) once I got into windows. Some fixes I had read about was reflashing the EDID info on the monitor, but that wasn't something I wanted to mess around with.

What's odd is that it was fine coming out of sleep or hibernation with the monitor connected. It would also go into Safe Mode just peachy. It was only when booting into Windows that once the ATI drivers were initialized with the monitor connected over DVI, it would poop out. Connecting the monitor after the ATI drivers were initialized was just fine.

That was with my 4890. It was fine with the 4870 and the 5870, go figure. :p

And not just limited to ATI. There was a line of Dell monitors that had DVI problems with Nvidia cards also. After a few months Dell sent out a file that would reflash the EDID data on the monitor which fixed it for most. Others had to reflash their video card BIOS.

Regards,
SB

I agree it must be an EDID compatibility issue...don't know about a rollback since he just needed the quickest solution and the VGA adapter worked well enough.

Back