Shopping Mister Davros

Think I may of found a problem
in windows display settings it thinks the max res of the vga monitor is 1920
ive looked in the inf file and it correctly says its max res is 1650
ive also tried looking through the registry for the res but cant find anything
any idea's

The monitor might be providing wrong information, but I don't think there's a provision to disable monitor PnP in windows (regardless of what's in the inf-file). You could try isolating the pin carrying the DDC-data and see if that helps.

i tried powerstrip and created an inf with 1650 as max res but still doesnt help

1650 should be the max res
if i select 1920 i get a black screen

I also downloaded a edid editor from viewsonic but i get a activex cant create object error

As I said, I don't think an inf-file does anything in Windows unless you physically block the misinformation coming from the monitor. I've done this in the past by taping (or breaking) off the pin (12, for VGA, IIRC) at one end of the cable.

That "shouldn't" affect the Standard VGA driver in Windows however as unlike Vista and Win7, it has a max resolution of something like 800x600 or 1024x768 I think.

But the EDID might be providing more incorrect information or the monitors might have a non-standard EDID entry that's making things all fubar in XP.

Have you been able to try connecting using an analog D-sub?

I still think your best bet right now for trying to narrow this down is to get a spare HDD and do a clean install of XP to that to see if problems remains and if it does, where during the install process it occurs. If you were local to me, I could even loan you a spare HDD. I have about 15 of the suckers ranging from 20 gigs up to 500 gigs. :p

Regards,
SB

That "shouldn't" affect the Standard VGA driver in Windows however as unlike Vista and Win7, it has a max resolution of something like 800x600 or 1024x768 I think.
Any cutting or masking of pins + using an .inf was only a suggestion related to getting bezel compensation to appear (as it seems one of the monitors is misidentified in Vista). I doubt it would affect the lockups mentioned earlier. VGA (as in the cable type, not the old video standard) can carry data from the monitor to the host too.

Code :
1.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ATI\ACE\Settings\Graphics\BezelSupported
2."Accessible"="Nobody"

Now I know what youre thinking...it CANT be that easy...

But, IT WAS...

I changed the Nobody value to Everybody...and I now have the option to Add Bezel Compensation on my display group.

For those of you less computer/registry savvy, here's the quickest way to make the change:

copy the contents of the following code into a new notepad file:

Code :
1.Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
3.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ATI\ACE\Settings\Graphics\BezelSupported]
4."Accessible"="Everybody"

Save the file as BezelSupportForce.reg(or anything as long as it has .reg, be sure it's not .reg.txt)

Then double click the new file and hit Yes when asked if you want to continue.

eastman
the wow64 bit worries me as im on vista 32
edit: just checked the registry and I dont have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ entry
also searched the registry for "nobody" and nothing shows up

did a search for bezel and only this turned up
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\HydraVision2k\Eyefinity]
"BezelCompensated"=dword:00000000

changed it to 1 but no effect

eastman
the wow64 bit worries me as im on vista 32
edit: just checked the registry and I dont have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ entry
also searched the registry for "nobody" and nothing shows up

did a search for bezel and only this turned up
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\HydraVision2k\Eyefinity]
"BezelCompensated"=dword:00000000

changed it to 1 but no effect

32-bit Windows is going have slightly different location, most likely directly under "HKLM\Software\ATI" rather than "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ATI"

This doesn't work for me btw , but sucess varies. The only othe thing is to hack your monitors or for dave to save us all

I dont have a BezelSupported section whatsoever

I wish ATI would provide a button labeled "I dont care what the hell windows thinks. My monitors are the same size and res so just give me my goddam bezel compensation for f***'s sake"

seriously I have never had so much trouble with an upgrade ever....

pulled out my base unit its on one of those base unit stands with wheels on, forgot I left the brake on one of the wheels and so the wheel snapped off (has to superglue it back on)
couldnt remove my gtx 260 ended up braking the catch on the pci-e slot
installed the ati card can no longer boot into xp
couldnt get all the monitors working, turns out only 1 of the dvi ports is dvi-i the other is dvi-d (another bus ride then a train ride to get a dvi cable)
finally get 3 monitors working but no bezel compensation
tried installing cat 11.1 but ccc wont display had to go back to 10.12

Or maybe time for Win7 fresh install?

I dont have win7 and its not cheap :(
also I have the problem of being on dual boot
and replacing my o/s would mess up the boot loader

ps: just looked at my mboard drivers and there are no win7 drivers

I dont have win7 and its not cheap :(
also I have the problem of being on dual boot
and replacing my o/s would mess up the boot loader

ps: just looked at my mboard drivers and there are no win7 drivers

Which motherboard do you have?

(hint: never look at the mobo manufacturers site, always go straight for chipset manufacturer, sound/lan/etc chip manufacturers for the drivers)

Davros: you posted widescreen in the Redunkulus thread so I assumed you had it working, no?

Vista chipset drivers:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...tProduct=Intel®+975X+Express+Chipset&lang=eng

LAN drivers:
http://www.marvell.com/support.html
> select partnumber > 88E8053 > pick your OS

WLAN:
Get the Vista drivers from your link

Audio:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Realtek-HD-Audio-2.57-audio-driver-download-2672.html (because realteks download links are just so dead slow)

In general, Vista drivers work for Win7 in cases where there's no separated download for the 2.

Back