Shadow of the Colossus (Remake 2018) [PS4]

I didnt say that was the purpose.
I said that the effect fitted perfectly the game's aesthetic with the technical limitations of the hardware in mind. The effected added but couldnt take anything away on the PS2. The effect had almost a constant presence on the PS2 game and the far distance did look fuzzy most of the time
151218-Shadow_of_the_Colossus_(USA)-4.jpg

Shadow_of_the_Colossus_PS2_4.jpg

The same "intensity" of the effect might have been accepted with mixed results considering the expectations and standards set by today's hardware capabilities.

Personally I d like to see some more implementation of the HDR with god rays passing through the monsters and such
The far away part of the landscapes look fuzzy because of the 2D imposter LOD system, not the bloom.

Funnily enough god rays make no sense since in the original game there's no sun.

The far away part of the landscapes look fuzzy because of the 2D imposter LOD system, not the bloom.

Funnily enough god rays make no sense since in the original game there's no sun.
The fact that landscapes used heavy LOD and 2D imposter is one of the reasons why the heavy use of bloom that was very persistent did wonders for the particular hardware

God rays can make sense. There is no rule that say it should come always from a visible source like a sun. The sun is suggested since the game has daylight. The huge size of the monsters blocking portions of light emitted from a supposed sun can work well. Volumetric light or a technique that mimics it would have enabled shafts of light passing through clouds, mountains, cliffs and in between portions of the giants that dont block light. That can also give a dreamy effect.
The game used that effect anyways like the weak spots and the sword

Also
upload_2017-11-5_15-14-5.png

This is where your purely mechanical belief system fails you. There was a god ray from the main character’s sword.
I don't mean that there's no sunlight, I mean that the sun is not visible. There's no bright ball in the sky. The original multiplayer concept video did have it though.

The fact that landscapes used heavy LOD and 2D imposter is one of the reasons why the heavy use of bloom that was very persistent did wonders for the particular hardware

God rays can make sense. There is no rule that say it should come always from a visible source like a sun. The sun is suggested since the game has daylight. The huge size of the monsters blocking portions of light emitted from a supposed sun can work well. Volumetric light or a technique that mimics it would have enabled shafts of light passing through clouds, mountains, cliffs and in between portions of the giants that dont block light. That can also give a dreamy effect.
The game used that effect anyways like the weak spots and the sword

Also
View attachment 2276
I was thinking of the now overused screen space godrays (which this game indeed has). I'm not against using volumetric lighting in general.

Pfff. I thought they had invited the original game's devs to play the remaster and recall stories. Like they did with Jak and Daxter or with the Lucas Arts Adventure game remasters...

Wow, say what?! This is way beyond what I've expected in terms of graphics quality for a remake, it's easily on par with some of the better looking current gen games that's out right now honestly. Never played the original before so here's a perfect chance to run it on the Pro, just chuck in some HDR and bam.

Shu confirmed 60fps on Pro, 30fps on base PS4.

"beautiful...plays so well..." talked about still faithful to the original.

Sadly they did not encode the 60fps promo vid in a 60fps video. :-/

But the game looks amazing! A bit less cloth physics than in original, but still amazing.

They updated the video with a proper 60fps encoding. I might say their comparison is very well done. They are in total 60fps PR mode on this game.

During boss encounters (PS2 / PS3 / PS4-P):

15fps vs 30fps vs 60fps

Can't wait the for the PS5 remaster running at...120fps ? :LOL:

Last edited:
No Chromatic aberration. No lens distortion. No grain filter. Then how can it look so beautiful, and so real ?

It's just being good at making pretty things the hard way. Ueda had no industry ready post processing cinematic effects he could just apply with a function call.

This is pixel counted at 1440p (with Temporal Super sampling according to the devs).

m9I54fG.jpg

Animations of the main character still look bad (but it's close to the original game i guess) and foliage interaction could be better.

Other than that, it looks amazing.

It looks wonderful for the most part, but I think the golden hue is a mistake.

Take a look at the comparison video and you can see that the first two iterations of this game have a silver haze, which is now gone, replaced with something warmer and richer. I don't like that, I don't think it fits with the atmosphere of the game: it's supposed to be bleak.

No Chromatic aberration. No lens distortion. No grain filter. Then how can it look so beautiful, and so real ?

It's just being good at making pretty things the hard way. Ueda had no industry ready post processing cinematic effects he could just apply with a function call.

This is pixel counted at 1440p (with Temporal Super sampling according to the devs).

m9I54fG.jpg
The only thing that looks real is the sky, which is probably a real life picture (which goes completely against the original art design). Wander looks like he's made of plastic.

Funny how some people were blaming the use of fog as a technical limitation while this screenshot is far foggier than the original.

At least TLG exists.

Back