Shadow of the Colossus (Remake 2018) [PS4]

There is a toggle for a "modernized" control scheme in the options. It probably affects climbing controls.
Yep. Bluepoint had already worked on improved controls, In Uncharted remastered on PS4 they updated Uncharted 1 average controls to be similar to the controls of the sequels. So they have experience in that kind of things.

Well, they did not change camera innertion and weirdness, and the sudden acceleration that Wander has when switching from standing to running. :D\

edit - another gameplay vid [with no sound], this time with PlayStatino Access comentary

Last edited:
Well, they did not change camera innertion and weirdness, and the sudden acceleration that Wander has when switching from standing to running. :D\

edit - another gameplay vid [with no sound], this time with PlayStatino Access comentary
Wow ! The environment looks so so good ! :D

and please, no modernised controls please. Grabbing on to the fur and climbing those colossi bit by bit was the most amazing part of the game. I don't want it to "Hold R2 and push forward to climb up to the top like a Assassin"" please. The whole feeling of actually climbing a giant making it uncomfortable was really really well done here. The game is a masterpiece.

Wow ! The environment looks so so good ! :D

and please, no modernised controls please. Grabbing on to the fur and climbing those colossi bit by bit was the most amazing part of the game. I don't want it to "Hold R2 and push forward to climb up to the top like a Assassin"" please. The whole feeling of actually climbing a giant making it uncomfortable was really really well done here. The game is a masterpiece.

I doubt you'll be able to essentially auto climb like in AC or Uncharted. There's a big-ass middle ground between contemporary action adventure traveral mechanics and the laggy, clunky Ueda style controls which have been part and parvel of all his games. I certainly wouldn't have minded a more responsive version of the boy in The Last Guardian.

What do you mean? What art style? Are you talking about the controls as being one with the art?
he is talking about the fog and the look of the older game. IT had different hazy foggy atmosphere and different colours in some areas too. I loved the haze and fog too , it made it feel very dense and moody, its missing in this new version.

This
6036370317_448b115a1a_b.jpg

The original was moody and stylised and artistic. This remake is very plain vanilla in the visual department.

You are wrong @Shifty Geezer . We had a very similar discussion with Journey on PS4. People thought the effects were less noticeable. In fact the effects the same, except at higher res.

That was the sparkling of the sand in Journey's case. In SotC, the fundamental look is different. The look isn't soft and dreamy and moody any more. There's no overbright-bloom or haze.

That was the sparkling of the sand in Journey's case. In SotC, the fundamental look is different. The look isn't soft and dreamy and moody any more. There's no overbright-bloom or haze.

Oh I am pretty sure it is one of these cases that the dev wonders if it would work with today's visual standards.
Back then we were in touch with the limits of the hardware and our minds would fill the gaps and be more forgiving with the overall image. Now with this upgrade, the effect (which was probably also helpful for the hardware's shortcomings) might have added some atmosphere but also take away from the definition and improvements. It might have been received with mixed impressions.
The fog did wonders since it didnt have to hide details and it added depth to the scenery far behind due to the scale. With hardware that can draw details very far into the horizon there is a chance that some might have been complaining. But maybe it would have worked well. Who knows if some smart implementation would have produced nice results as a whole?

I do think the atmospherics effects should be in, and the glow. Very much part of the Team ICO identity as far as I'm concerned. I can see reason to tone it down somewhat. As you say, it was great on PS2 to cover up the overall lack of detail. But gunning for realism I think the wrong move.

The fog did wonders since it didnt have to hide details and it added depth to the scenery far behind due to the scale. With hardware that can draw details very far into the horizon there is a chance that some might have been complaining. But maybe it would have worked well. Who knows if some smart implementation would have produced nice results as a whole?
What's missing is not actually fog but bloom. As explained in this post, bloom was calculated in a very unique way which is what gave the game its ghostly, foggy look. I even made a basic implementation in Unity if you're interested: https://github.com/ocasm/sotcbloom

The remake instead uses a generic bloom algorithm. A more modern way to get similar results to the above could be doing something like this: https://github.com/ocasm/ssms

Back