shack news: XBOne S will upscale all games to 4K

My Xbox one outputs a 1080p signal to my 720p 52" Samsung plasma as well. It looks incredible to me. My plasma has pretty nice color compared to my 1080p 22" PC monitor. Also the downscale process happening in my plasma really helps to alleviate jaggies in some titles (Forza 5/6 for example).

The one thing I don't like about my plasma is game mode completely takes away all picture options in my menu. I don't even bother using game mode because it looks so washed out. I don't notice any added latency.

I have a 50" 720p Samsung plasma myself. Yeah the only thing I dislike is the resolution, but this downscaling stuff for consoles and PCs really solves it. I love the response time of the plasma panel, and the color is excellent too.

If you're buying a cheap TV, don't expect expensive TV performance. There is a vast range in scaling from basic linear stretching to fancy analysis and adding in details done by tech like Sony's X-Reality Pro hardware which has natural AA. You can turn it on and off on my set (or tweak it to your liking) and the difference is startling on 1080p PS4 games.
well, I don't have the money to get a Samsung KS8000 or something like that. My only checkbox feature is 4K.

If a 4K TV costs 500€, and its size is 50", it shall be mine someday --not in a hurry.

As long as your hardware can output that, AA is the least of your worries. It's a nice feature to have, but trust me DSoup that you could live without it. I wonder if a technique like that could add blurring, sometimes AA does.

It also depends on how a purist you are..maybe you want to have that option to play with it but you are also curious about what your console is actually producing. Anyways, thing is...just enjoy it your way.

I wonder if a technique like that could add blurring, sometimes AA does.
Technically no because it's not obscuring details in the original frame buffer, smoothing is a byproduct of scaling one 1080p pixel to four UHD pixels. You can gain some insight into how Sony's XCA scaling engine works from this interview with one of technologies creators [AVForums].

I'm hugely impressed with the tech/TV and it may explain why I'm not perceiving any difference between 1440p and 4K when outputting from my PC. When I get some time I'll try some more comparisons if I can find a way to get around the TV's scaling engine. Does anybody know how to have a game render in 1440p but have a Geforce output at UHD resolutions, i.e. a linear scale?

(do this thread eats all XboxOneS features?)

A gamer upgraded XboxOne to XboxOneS model, family user of Kinect IR blaster to control consumer devices, console behind the closed doors away from the destructive small people hands. Internal IR blaster is blocked.
XboxOneS cannot use Kinect IR blaster (neogaf)
Albert Penello: Well, I was wrong. I was confusing voice with IR.When you plug in Kinect voice moves from the headphone to the array microphone. Xbox One S doesn't disable IR blasting with Kinect, it just doesn't use it. IR signals are not passed through USB, so on Xbox One S only the internal IR blaster is used.

I guess this is a limitation of Kinect camera firmware, it was never told to read IR codes from the usb port then blast around the house? Is it a fixed software or updatable firmware device?

Back