Sega to stop GameCube sports development

I agree with you Gollum. i wanted to keep this thread on topic as much as I could, but you saw what happens. I'll try, but just watch how it won't stop the anoying reponses and attacks from the amazing BS brothers (Teasy and captain) at all.

You wanted to keep this on topic did you did you? After my first post in this topic, a totally on topic and uninflamitory post I might add, what was your first words in your responding post? Why don't you read them again:

I'm not suprised to see you reply, since you always come to the cubes rescue. i'm going to make one comment about your argument and then reutrn to topic, since whenever you make posts like this, the thread quickly degenerates into something completely OFF topic. I'll put it in bold so you see it and actually read my response before cutting and pasting while trying to reply to everysentance.

So who took this thread off topic again? Who was the one that, instead of just responding to the points I brought up, chose to attempt to insult me?

Gollum, its unfortunate I agree. In many threads were Quincy has tried to start one of these insult throwing matches, I've simply left the thread. Because I know that while I'm there he won't be far behind me. I've done that in one or two threads lately. But sorry man, I'm finished walking away from his bull shit.

It's a shame, especially about World Series Baseball 2K3, since that's the one title from the Visual Concepts line-up (outsourced to Blue Shift, I know) that the Cube still needed. But, after seeing some of the recent SEGA Sports GameCube sales this December, I'm really feeling for both sides right now.

And, it doesn't seem like anything is helping SEGA's stock price currently... could be a time of change coming soon.

No, it's "so it ends" ha!

But seriously, I can't fault Sega. Acclaim's got the baseball market pretty tied up with ASB series. It's prolly not as big a seller as EA's but a very good seller across all platforms nonetheless. And critically acclaimed (pun intended).

EA has really demolished Sega in 2002. If I'm Sega I stick with the formula that has brought me success on the GCN. Sonic, SMB, PSO and adventure series etc.

of course it might have helped Sega if they actually gave the development job to experieinced devleopers rather than summer interns from the local high school computer science class. :rolleyes: GameCube always got the shaft from Sega Sports, and so GC gamers give Sega Sports the shaft by choosing EA instead. and Sega is surprised? Just blame Nintendo! yea that's the tivket! :rolleyes:

it's amazing how much better a game can be (and sell) if it is developed by someone who actually gives a damn.

Quaid:
of course it might have helped Sega if they actually gave the development job to experieinced devleopers rather than summer interns from the local high school computer science class. GameCube always got the shaft from Sega Sports, and so GC gamers give Sega Sports the shaft by choosing EA instead. and Sega is surprised? Just blame Nintendo! yea that's the tivket!

it's amazing how much better a game can be (and sell) if it is developed by someone who actually gives a damn.
So SEGA develops the best playing and looking GameCube sports games all around, and they're the ones giving the GameCube audience the shaft?

You do know that the GameCube versions of the SEGA Sports games came out a week later in some of those cases because Nintendo took longer to approve them then Sony and Microsoft did, right?

You do know that third parties won't often push to get online functionality in a title for a console where the manufacturer isn't making a big online push themselves for their own console, right? If Nintendo can't assure the third party that they're committed to distributing and pushing ample supply of network adapters, third parties don't want to waste the development efforts of pioneering the market themselves and including online support. Sonic Team did Nintendo a big favor by constantly pushing them to even have one online title in Phantasy Star Online, and it took many months to get Nintendo ready for them to release.

It also doesn't help that sports sales on GameCube for any company haven't been great, and have been the lowest of the 4 consoles (even including Dreamcast).

Don't you just hate it when the very company you work for is at odds with each other. Blaming the sports department for the decrease in profits really isn't the smartest thing to do. A resigning Peter Moore saw the whole thing I'm sure.

What SEGA needs to do is concentrate more on markets that are going to be profitable for it. If that means stopping many of the Xbox eclusives then I'm all for it. The company would be a lot more profitable if it put more of its funding into the PS2.

There's also the problem of the funding of certain hardware R&D projects. But then again, SEGA is supposed to be a software only company.......yeah right.

Right. How silly of Sega to drop hardware and immediately throw so many resources behind the fledgling Xbox. Then spread itself so thin with several projects for all systems. The damn company should have made PS2 its focus immediately after discontinuing Dreamcast - to get back on track financially most quickly.

It's questionable decisions like these that caused Sega's fall in the first place.

Kolgar

Lazy8s said:
So SEGA develops the best playing and looking GameCube sports games all around, and they're the ones giving the GameCube audience the shaft?

thats the problem - they DONT have the best looking and playing sports games on the GameCube. EA does. The quality of ports for the Sega Sports games on the GameCube is noticeably several notches below the PS2 and Xbox counterparts. and hardware power / online play has nothing to do with it. the games are just crap. the developers didn't give a rats ass. so naturally, neither did the players.

Lazy8s said:
You do know that the GameCube versions of the SEGA Sports games came out a week later in some of those cases because Nintendo took longer to approve them then Sony and Microsoft did, right?

if they didnt suck so bad, they might get approved quicker. EA isnt having any problems getting it right.

Lazy8s said:
You do know that third parties won't often push to get online functionality in a title for a console where the manufacturer isn't making a big online push themselves for their own console, right?

again, online or not online isnt the problem - its just crappy ports. even if they were online, they would just be crappy ports, online. EA's sports games are just fine even though they arent online with GameCube.

Lazy8s said:
It also doesn't help that sports sales on GameCube for any company haven't been great, and have been the lowest of the 4 consoles (even including Dreamcast).

I'm not sure where you are geting this from. EA's sales havent been that bad on GameCube. not anywhere in the range od PS2, but that's to be expected. still, EA isnt about to quit GC support, especially now that there is no competition there. EA Sports never supported Dreamcast, so its not possible that the GC sales would be lower than that.

Sega Sports, yea maybe the GC sales are lower than Dreamcast, but then again, Sega *gave a sh!t* about the Dreamcast verions of there games, and there were actually good on there. That was back when Sega Sports was giving EA a smackdown. Infact, I would even say that the GameCube versions of the Sega Sports games are *not* as good as the Dreamcast versions. thats how little they care about GameCube, and thats why nobody buys that crap.

Dont get me wrong, I used to be a huge fan of Sega Sports. Kolgar can back me up on this. I would never buy any EA Sports game when there was an alternate Sega Sports game to buy instead. I had all of them for the Dreamcast. but they have gotten complacent while EA has made big improvements. They make sloppy ports while EA works hard. and now we are seeing the results.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2910518,00.html

:cry:

Sega will no longer release its sports games for Nintendo's console.

Sega of America has officially announced that it will no longer produce Sega Sports games for the Nintendo GameCube. The company will instead focus its efforts on bringing sports games to the PlayStation 2 and the Xbox at the start of each season.
"Sega has been evaluating its resources and product lineup to ensure it is bringing the right games to the right platforms as the company builds toward becoming a profitable, independent content publisher," a Sega of America representative said. "After careful examination, Sega has made the strategic decision to support the Nintendo GameCube with a priority on delivering its leading entertainment properties such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Monkey Ball, proven franchises which have been top sellers on the system. Sega will focus its sports development resources on delivering its Sega Sports games to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox on time at the start of each season. Sega is committed to the Nintendo GameCube and will continue to support the platform with its leading entertainment properties, including the recently announced Sonic Adventure DX, as well as many other titles yet to be announced."

This announcement comes on the heels of Sega's recent decision to cancel World Series Baseball 2K3 for the system

guess that's the grand finale...

good news is EA mentioned continued GC support as well as online play for the console.

Well if the choice were between Super Monkey Ball and a '2K' sports game, I'd chose SMB game any time of the week. Not too many ppl will miss 2K's on the Cube.

Where did you read that EA news you montioned?

agree 100% about SMB, some of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. I read this on EA at the GA forum.

"This is from the new EDGE, in an article about GameSpy, the company providing online middleware tools for PS2 and GameCube.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interestingly GameSpy was quick off the mark with PS2, sporting online options for US players of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 back in 2001. "A large portion of our technology businesss will come from delivering PS2 solutions - we are the clear leader in this space." predicts Surfas, adding, "We also expect to see some businesss from the GameCube market - all 14 of our toolkits are available for it."

And while he says GameSpy's not permitted to discuss the company's involvement in forthcoming EA titles, he admits the agreement covers all the platforms that GameSpy supports - PC, PS2 and GameCube. Support for the Xbox is a bit of a moot point though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back