It's official: *PVR5 based Naomi 3 cancelled* (Poor graphics performance blamed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEXAN

Regular
From The Latest Issue of EDGE Magazine - Issue 155, November 2005

"it certainly helped that the Mukuhari Messe covention centre was charged with the buzz of new hardware again, as Sega's PC-based Lindbergh made it's stage debut. Owing more to the Xbox-friendly Chihiro than the nostalgic Naomi, Sega explained that its work in progress Naomi 3 had simply fallen behind advances in PC technology risking being rendered obsolete before it even reached the arcades. It's successor's make up was decided upon for 2 reasons: chiefly to provide the raw power to drive a revival of Sega's traditional arcade business, but also for ease of porting to the next gen consoles"

3 new revelations -

1) PowerVR 5 based board was officialy cancelled and will never see light of day.

2) Lindbergh is it's official successor.

3) Reason for cancellation was because PowerVR couldn't provide the power needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a nail in the coffin for tile-based deferred renders then? At least in the mainstream 'desktop' market?

Shifty Geezer said:
Is this a nail in the coffin for tile-based deferred renders then? At least in the mainstream 'desktop' market?
It's a nail in the coffin for the arcade market - not much of anything else, really, imo.

Uttar

mckmas8808 said:
YEEESSSSS first the arcade next the PC!:devilish: *rubs hands together in evil way*
I guess you want to hook your PC monitor, fax, printer, scanner, mouse, keyboard, external HDD, and so forth to your console. Wait, my console does not have a special sound processing card with the correct high fidelity outputs for sound recording. Doh! Nor the extra tools for video processing. Oh man, I miss my PC ;)

The size of the handheld market dwarfs that of set-tops for 3D graphics processors. With the adoption of PowerVR into the vast majority of processors targeted at handheld 3D, it'll be the graphics solution that powers the most devices.

Wait a minute...

Yuki Naka talking about the TGS Sonic demo said it was running on their next-generation in-house technology and said it was NOT Lindbergh.

So maybe Naomi 3 is dead, but that does not say Lindbergh is their only future... maybe.

Panajev2001a said:
Wait a minute...

Yuki Naka talking about the TGS Sonic demo said it was running on their next-generation in-house technology and said it was NOT Lindbergh.

So maybe Naomi 3 is dead, but that does not say Lindbergh is their only future... maybe.

Sonic was running on a PS3 dev kit, as reported by Gamespot.
The person who was playing the demo was spotted holding a duel shock 2 pad.

Lazy8s said:
The E3 Sonic demo used a Sega Sammy in-house development system.

GameSpy: We also got some brief glimpses of the next-gen Sonic game. It appears to be an extension of the demo movie we saw at E3. The other movies shown (Virtua Fighter, After Burner) turned out to be arcade games running on Lindbergh hardware. Was the Sonic demo running on Lindbergh as well?

Naka It wasn't running on Lindbergh, actually -- what you saw at E3 was our in-house next-gen development system.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/654/654750p2.html

The Pana-Lazy8s connection ? ;).

"in-house"

SEGA SAMMY designed the GPU's and CPU's themselves.

SI-Electronics been expanded to an all out chip designing/producing/manufacturing company

SEGA SAMMY no longer needs IT/ATI/NVIDIA/RENESAS/ETC ETC

I knew it. This is just the beginning, from here they shall surely take complete control of the industry. A new mega selling console is no further then 5 years away in my personal opinion.

So they're developing on a SEGA designed and made development platform, to run ona high-end PC system. Isn't that really stupid? Kinda like developing on PS3 for an XB360 game. You write to the hardware. More likely 'not Lindburgh, but an in-house next-gen development system' means 'not a Lindburgh kit, but a customized PC based development platform on which we can write for next-gen machines, PCs, consoles, arcade etc.' And as for an uber-GPU that'll eclipse everything else, if their technology was that uber they wouldn't have ditched it in favour of nVidia, would they...

TEXAN said:
"in-house"

SEGA SAMMY designed the GPU's and CPU's themselves.

SI-Electronics been expanded to an all out chip designing/producing/manufacturing company

SEGA SAMMY no longer needs IT/ATI/NVIDIA/RENESAS/ETC ETC

I knew it. This is just the beginning, from here they shall surely take complete control of the industry. A new mega selling console is no further then 5 years away in my personal opinion.

????

Whoa... your wishful thinking is of insane proportions.

TEXAN said:

I'm wondering have I ever heard anything as lunatic as that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back