Second Life (3D Virtual world)

Diplo

Veteran
Just curious whether anyone here has a Second Life account? If so, what is your experience of it like? The idea of it sounds quite intriguing, but is the free account usable or is it just a way into sucking you into paying more? In case you don't know:
Second Life is a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by 321,127 people from around the globe.

From the moment you enter the World you'll discover a vast digital continent, teeming with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity. Once you've explored a bit, perhaps you'll find a perfect parcel of land to build your house or business.

You'll also be surrounded by the Creations of your fellow residents. Because residents retain the rights to their digital creations, they can buy, sell and trade with other residents.

The Marketplace currently supports millions of US dollars in monthly transactions. This commerce is handled with the in-world currency, the Linden dollar, which can be converted to US dollars at several thriving online currency exchanges.

movies.jpg

Is it worth signing up for? Or does the novelty wear off?

It's by far the most honest and succesful one in what it promises and gives, as far as I heard. But I'm curious as well.

I'm absolutely sure Second Life is fascinating and cool as hell, I just don't have the time or money to get involved in it... :(

The basic premise is almost as wacky as most of the vast number of dotcom projects that crashed and burned so horribly 5-ish years or so ago, but despite that it seems to really have taken off. Must be some awfully talented and dedicated people behind Linden, I really admire that.

Makes you remember even more firmly what a scam Infinum is. :devilish:

Diplo said:
Is it worth signing up for? Or does the novelty wear off?
It is my understanding that if wieved as a game, the answer to the latter question is yes. If approached as what it says it is, a 'second life', then maybe not, if that's your cup of tea. Roleplaying without all the cumbersome quests or something. Did you read the Businessweek article?

Guden Oden said:
Makes you remember even more firmly what a scam Infinum is. :devilish:
<offtopic>
In May 2006, Mr. Roberts, in his personal capacity, was served with a complaint from the SEC in the matter entitled Securities and Exchange Commission vs. Timothy M. Roberts in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division, pursuant to which the SEC alleges that Mr. Roberts made false statements with regard to the Company’s prospects while at the same time selling his shares of the Company’s common stock for personal gain through his alleged participation in a “phony fax scam”. The SEC seeks judgment against Mr. Roberts enjoining him from future violations of securities laws, requiring that he disgorge any gain or benefit he received from past violations, and imposing penalties for the violations. Further, the SEC seeks a judgment prohibiting Mr. Roberts from serving in the future as an officer or director of a public company and from participating in any offering of “penny stocks”.

http://www.sec.gov/litigation/litreleases/2006/lr19701.htm
</offtopic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack this excellent thread, but it makes ya wonder why the SEC waited so long to crack down on that crook Roberts. He has a string of bankrupcies behind him that's as long as an arm and a half, and I bet it's no coincidence those companies all folded either!

Sounds worse than WoW, etc. An MMO that just simply recreates real life makes me worried for those who have addictive personalities. I'm of the thought that they should have complete control over them selves, but I just see a lot of bad coming from this game.

People with addictive personalities can get hooked on anything. Cushioning and dumbing down the entire universe to 'protect' a tiny little minority until there's nothing left to get addicted to is not possible. We have to trust peoples' own judgements to be able to take things in moderation.

Besides, I'd hardly call Second Life a copy of the real world. From what I hear, there's some crazy bizarre stuff in there that you won't ever find out here, heh! :) Well, not without getting arrested anyway...! :LOL:

I get 27 FPS with all settings @max:LOL:

Athlon64 3000+ @2,430Ghz
Asrock 939 Dual Sata2
MSI NX7800GS @500/1500
1Gb Corsair DDR400

secondlife20060712215230157hy.jpg

Back