Curiosity's (Molyneaux) secret, the one that would change your life forever, revealed

Populous launched on the Commodore Amiga in 1989. You can read the unscrupulous way he got 10 development Amigas from Commodore from links to too articles in this very thread.
Ahhh okay, I remember that story, you need to be an unscrupulous guy -maybe Populous comes from unscrupulous- to do what he did back then, what a dreadful tragedy.

I mean, virtues and flaws aside, I highly doubt people like you, Shifty, etc etc etc etc, or even me could ever do that. IRL I have this overbearing sense of honour above all and almost everything before dishonour, also that I'm nothing without my honour crap that keeps my moral in borderline examination. A thing I got from my parents, I guess.

Dr Evil post sounded to me in retrospective like Molyneaux was very incompetent with Commodore, hence I asked about the port thing --the things of reading at the very early hours of the day.

Peter Molyneaux has said that videogames are about to become the dominant entertainment medium. "We're almost there" he stated.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ant-entertainment-medium.html#~pbjmlqPXg7X1YX
I don't give a shit about his opinions. I wish the media would abandon him as he deserves. What exactly is the value of his opinion when he's been proven the premiere bollocks spewer over the past ten+ years? It's like listening to a known con-artist giving 'psychic readings' and still believing they're in touch with the spirit world even when you can see them pulling strings to make the lamp wobble!

The media needs to get away from whatever charismatic spell he wields, see the troll underneath, and turn their back on it.

Jesus Christ, enough with the lynch mob mentality.

You may not like everything (or anything for that matter) he's ever done, but discounting him as an incompetent charlatan fraud is downright idiotic

Everything he's ever been involved in has been original. Yeah sure, he has had a lot of misses, but he has also had a lot of hits:
Populous
Syndicate
Magic Carpet
Dungeon Keeper
Fable

The only other game designers with the same amount of original ideas I can think of are Tim Schafer and David Jones, both with their share of busts.

Cheers

It's not lynch mob, it's ignore him. He commands far too much media attention these days and doesn't deserve it. His hey day is over (and I dare say a lot of the content from him was actually shaped and refined by his employees and question how much actual impact he had). There are other devs who deserve the column inches and have more relevant and less bonkers views on the industry. Molyneaux is, IMO, like those pointless celebrities who don't do anything these days but still appear on talk shows and whatnot just because they are a name. The attention should be on the relevant talent and the meaningful contributors. Every article EG posted on Curiosity should have been for an indie dev or something.

DeanoC had an indie game that sounded pretty great. He didn't get any coverage, while the media kept regurgitating Molyneaux's fantasies left, right, and centre about a 'world changing social experiment' of mindless screen tapping.

His companies made great stuff, but he's not someone who deserves coverage any more.

If you are a celebrity people listen to you. That is just the way it is. Molyneaux has always been really good at hyping himself and his games. Most game developers aren't.

I wouldn't call it 'threw out' exactly, as he's still part of the company... Also, your linked piece makes it sound like it was his voluntary choice - which it might not have been, but if his own employees dislike him so much then why keep him around at all?

I don't know if he owns 22cans or not (he should be decently well off), but if most or all of them threaten to walk then it becomes an academic subject. He'd be finished. If that's what they actually wanted, which doesn't seem to be the case. :p

I wouldn't call it 'threw out' exactly, as he's still part of the company... Also, your linked piece makes it sound like it was his voluntary choice - which it might not have been, but if his own employees dislike him so much then why keep him around at all?

I don't know if he owns 22cans or not (he should be decently well off), but if most or all of them threaten to walk then it becomes an academic subject. He'd be finished. If that's what they actually wanted, which doesn't seem to be the case. :p
Well, you don't need to sack him, but it just goes to say something. This video and the body language of the guy (Konrad) now the only member of the staff focused on Godus is just another example that people weren't so happy with Molyneaux. The guy in the middle also left to start his own ventures.

And a few others.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/godus-troubles-reportedly-prompt-departures-at-22cans/0202946

Perhaps they only changed the CEO because maybe they think that's the only chance to get another game of theirs kickstarted. If so, I hope they reach their goal, and it is an example as to how toxic a rogue CEO can be.

and it is an example as to how toxic a rogue CEO can be.
Righto. Yet I think their rep is still fucked, regardless of if Moly is CEO or not. They could barely get Godus kickstarted as it was, and after having abandoned it unfinished - well, what's to say the same thing won't happen again with this new game, whatever it is? That's what I as a potential donor would think anyway, and surely many others like me as well.

Righto. Yet I think their rep is still fucked, regardless of if Moly is CEO or not. They could barely get Godus kickstarted as it was, and after having abandoned it unfinished - well, what's to say the same thing won't happen again with this new game, whatever it is? That's what I as a potential donor would think anyway, and surely many others like me as well.
So you helped funding Godus and would rethink the idea of reluctantly funding another 22Cans?

So you helped funding Godus
Nah, I don't do kickstarters, and seeing how Godus became some F2P bullshit I'm glad I didn't. I was just speculating how I would react, if I was thinking of buying into this game they wanna make.

Back