Curiosity's (Molyneaux) secret, the one that would change your life forever, revealed

Godus Players Can ‘Overthrow’ Their Virtual God Bryan
Molyneux says there’s a catch. “His reign will last a certain period of time … and then he can be overthrown,” he told Wired via phone.

“He can’t kick everyone in the world,” Molyneux says. “He can’t suddenly decide that everyone’s games get deleted. These [powers] are within the confines of game balancing. Some of them are moral decisions, some may be territorial decisions.”

The appointment appears to be significantly less brave and interesting than I originally thought.

Are you sure Godus wasn't even a concept by July 2012? I highly, highly doubt it wasn't even a concept by then...

As for the actual video: well fuck Molyneaux he's a pretentious git whose words are worth as much as the bits that they were recorded onto.
I am not sure of that, but the project hadn't been funded yet and I am not sure it had anything to do with Curiosity.

He used the buzzwords "cooperative effort", life changing and other charlatan terms, but he kept it a mystery.

I have a feeling everything was thought on the fly.

The appointment appears to be significantly less brave and interesting than I originally thought.
:smile: Omg, so the god of Godus is mortal... Not to mention interchangeable like trading cards. Certainly Molyneaux is at it again.

I am not sure of that, but the project hadn't been funded yet and I am not sure it had anything to do with Curiosity.

He used the buzzwords "cooperative effort", life changing and other charlatan terms, but he kept it a mystery.

I have a feeling everything was thought on the fly.

That's not really what Molyneaux does though. He's always doing epic plans that fail spectacularly because he not only doesn't actually put any real work into it, but also can't seem to find the people who could(I'm not counting programmers, artists and the like. I'm talking directors, writers, those kinds of folks).

Everything about what he's done lately is halfassed, but very obviously planned out well ahead of time. Godus is going to be a chaotic mess, and the fair bit of interest I had in the game is now 100% gone.

And the sad part? He doesn't think he's halfassing. He's 100% convinced his stuff is brilliant at the time he makes it and only after people scream it into him that he's failed yet again does he get how badly he's fucked up.

Makes you wonder how he got those legendary games of his out the door in the '90s. I am willing to put money down(And I am poor as fuck folks with a mild about of credit card debt folks) that his involvement in previous games is not what it appears to be, or has said to have been by other folks.

He's an idea man, nothing more. The Gamers' George Lucas, and frankly, that is not something you want to be. Ever.

The saddest part? His ideas are usually very good. Fable, if it'd actually lived up to its expectations, would have been an intellectually and morally deeper game than most if not all that had come before. Instead, all we got were random expressions that were idiotic and didn't actually have anything to do with roleplaying. Fable in all its incarnations is surface deep trash, writing wise.

Godus promises truly epic things. It will be sad and yet entertaining to see how exactly it fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
it would have been better just to give the winner a million dollars.

Seriously. Hell, I'm sure most folks thought it'd be a life changing prize.

This isn't a life changing prize, it's just Molyneaux jacking his ego off even more, thinking that working with this random guy will change random guy's life forever. It won't. It'll just make your game worse.

How the hell will this change the guy's life forever? How?

Seriously. Hell, I'm sure most folks thought it'd be a life changing prize.

This isn't a life changing prize, it's just Molyneaux jacking his ego off even more, thinking that working with this random guy will change random guy's life forever. It won't. It'll just make your game worse.

How the hell will this change the guy's life forever? How?
Maybe he will invite him to a homestay... for a year.

It could be worse though, the prize could be an all-expense-paid trip to Edinburgh*. :???:

I think that if he used more straightforward terms and not such pompous claims people would accept his words more positively.

Not that the guy is Satan in the game, but after reading the interview you linked to, he isn't certainly what I'd call the God of Gods. More than a god, he is like Lazarus crucified.

This story is beginning to sound like a parable of Jesus. The prize is okay for what I expected but I also wonder how he is going to change the life of the winner.

p.s. *the guy is from Edinburgh, that reminds me that I love Scotland, along with Ireland, so much -long story-

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/29/molyneux-on-curiosity-godus-and-forgotten-promises/

It's amazing how much his head is up his own ass. You read this and... It's amazing.

Also, apparently Curiosity didn't turn a profit in the end. Doesn't surprise me all that much.
Second part of the interview:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/30/molyneux-on-godus-surprise-publisher-free-to-play/?

I don't know what to expect next from him. We shall see.

Maybe Molyneaux decided the new prize and rules of the god of gods thing after knowing that the guy had only played a quarter of an hour... who knows.

After listening to his ending video featuring that ghostly voice a second time, I wouldn't say that his plan went accordingly.

He might talk totally delusional but I prefer devs like him over a dozens of guys without any kind of own vision (there seem to be thousands of these).

And I dont even know if I will play any of his new games (last thing I played was B&W).. it definitely doesn't help listening to his visions because the game will turn out differently. I think if I had to listen to visions and promises of his classic games I wouldve hated them, I dint and I consider them classics :D

He might talk totally delusional but I prefer devs like him over a dozens of guys without any kind of own vision (there seem to be thousands of these).

And I dont even know if I will play any of his new games (last thing I played was B&W).. it definitely doesn't help listening to his visions because the game will turn out differently. I think if I had to listen to visions and promises of his classic games I wouldve hated them, I dint and I consider them classics :D
Well, his vision is fine, although he is at it again when it comes to lies and his backtrack record of overpromising and underdelivering. Maybe if he didn't use strong words like "life changing" or "he will be the god of gods" etc etc...

According to this Eurogamer's interview, Godus' deity contest winner has yet to receive his promised power and riches.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

BryanHenderson610.jpg

Plus, there is this thread in the Godus' forums, titled "Collecting lies, promises, unanswered questions, misleading" kinda says it all on how this crowfunded game is having a hell to get properly developed and "hypermodern" Molyneaux promises and ideas are unrealised.

http://godus.boards.net/thread/348

Copy of what I posted in the pc forum

"About the competition winner.
The way he's worded it, "he will receive royalties for the duration of his reign as god of gods, which could be 6 months" (originally he said 5-10 years)
Depending on how the game is programed, the first day god of gods goes live he could be challenged lose the title and receive nothing."

Copy of what I posted in the pc forum

"About the competition winner.
The way he's worded it, "he will receive royalties for the duration of his reign as god of gods, which could be 6 months" (originally he said 5-10 years)
Depending on how the game is programed, the first day god of gods goes live he could be challenged lose the title and receive nothing."
Why so? I don't understand the "Depending on how the game is programmed" part in your post. Do you mean that when Molyneaux implied that the reign's duration "could be 6 months", it can be anything between 0 minutes and 6 months?

It's been a while since I wrote a post in the PC Games forum...I miss that linked button to the PC section of Beyond3D on the Console forums, some very interesting topics and folks there...sigh.. :/ It acts as a deterrent for me, 'cos I go straight to the console forums.

Do you mean that when Molyneaux implied that the reign's duration "could be 6 months", it can be anything between 0 minutes and 6 months?
Yes, the title "god of gods" is not forever, it can be taken off the competition winner by another player, just like being heavyweight boxing champion you can lose it.
Hopefully the programmers have taken steps to ensure that the competition winner has at least a 6 month reign, be it something lazy like not allowing title fights until a certain date or creating game play mechanics that would hopefully take a player at least 6 months to complete.
Eg: players must be over level 100 to challenge for "god of gods" or have collected 500 *T.A.C.O's

Totally, Arbitrary, Collectable, Objects

Following the whole godus supporters outcry and that phone interview fiasco, I felt like reading Molyneaux's wikipedia's page, only to find this paragraph about how he entered the gaming industry.

Due to the game's failure, Molyneux retreated from game design, and started Taurus Impex Limited—a company that exported baked beans to the Middle East[4][5] —with his business partner Les Edgar. Commodore International mistook it for TORUS, a more established company that produced networking software, and offered to provide Molyneux with ten[4] free Amiga systems to help in porting "his" networking software.[1][6] "... it suddenly dawned on me that this guy didn't know who we were", Molyneux later said. "I suddenly had this crisis of conscience. I thought, 'If this guy finds out, there go my free computers down the drain.' So I just shook his hand and ran out of that office"

I mean, come on guys, his story has misleadings from the very begining! hahaha.

Following the whole godus supporters outcry and that phone interview fiasco, I felt like reading Molyneux's wikipedia's page, only to find this paragraph about how he entered the gaming industry.
As I mentioned in the EG comments on this story, in Marvel speak, this is Molyneux's origin story.

I've lost all respect for the guy. I now consider him a first-rate arse who's deliberately mislead people. What really got my goat was the deceit in the opening of Godus. I downloaded it on iPad and it showed a promising God-game. After the short intro, it invited you to rate the game. "Considering what you've enjoyed so far and how this game is going to expand as you play it, please rate it." I didn't rate it, but I'm sure lots of folk hit the Rate button with the 5* default. Only then does it introduce the pay-to-play mechanic of insanely slow building and paid-for accelerations. Every new upgrade to powers slowed the game down. 2 minutes to build a house became 45 minutes (use crystals to accelerate). Text-book bait-and-swtich IMO.

I think Molyneux's motivation is money and attention, whether he knows it or not. He spouts bollocks for the attention, and develops for the money. I hope the industry forgets him. His legacy was built mostly on the work of others, he hasn't done anything worthwhile in ages, he's constantly lied, apologised, but then lied again which isn't the actions of a flawed genius but a charlatan who learnt to play on people. The future for Awesome New Games will come from the new indie, honest talent.

I suddenly had this crisis of conscience. I thought, 'If this guy finds out, there go my free computers down the drain.' So I just shook his hand and ran out of that office"

"Crisis of conscience"
"If this guy finds out"
"Shook his hand and ran"

What's particularly funny is that putting these golden quotes in context makes the story, at best, no better.

Did he make a Commodore port of his classic games?
Populous launched on the Commodore Amiga in 1989. You can read the unscrupulous way he got 10 development Amigas from Commodore from links to too articles in this very thread.

Back