Subscription based gaming

baten

Regular
There are a lot of opinions on this forum about what the future of gaming will look like, and while most of them are very interesting and worth thinking about, they are mostly about the hardware. There are also some people trying to predict what will happen with the distribution of the games, will they be still sold at game shops or department stors or only be downloadable.

As we move forward with the technology (and I am no expert on any technology, my conection with the gaming world is that I used to be involved somehow in gaming retail, but no anymore, I'm here just as a gamer) it is clear that the current distribution system of the games software is less and less suited for the demands of the industry.

It is my thinking that this is because everbody is using the wrong paradigm. Publisher sell games (through middlemans and intermediaries) and gamers buy these games and play them. A lot of the money ends up in the wrong hands. For instance, retailers take their share, as well as distributors. Also, a lot is lost in the pre-owned market, since one copy of the game ends up being played by 3-4 people. Also, renting is eating a lot of the profits of developers and publishers. Last, but not least, sales price falls abruptly after just 2-3 months for most games, in such a predictable way that most gamers are actually waiting to buy until the price drops.

The better alternative would be subscription based gaming. This would work better on consoles (although it would also be possible on PC). As a gamer, you buy a subscription - let's say 50 USD/month - and you can play, for that month, ALL the games for that console that have been published to date, for as long as you like (there could be more than one type of accounts, for instance you could choose 15 USD/month to play 2 games of your choosing for 20 hours - or whatever - marketing could be very creative here).

From this subscription money, the platform holder (Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo) will keep some (let's say 20-25%) and the rest will go directly to the publishers/developers of the games that you have played, according to the percentage of time you spent on each game from your total gaming time. The gamer will not by buying a particular game or another, he will buy gaming time. Similar with the admision ticket at Disneyland - it gives you access to all the distractions in the park. The games could be made available for free through different channels (P2P network, direct downloading, etc more on this below) so if there is a game that interests you, just pick it from somewhere and play it through your account.

This will solve most of the distribution problems that we see today, and solve most of the inequities regarding the perceived value of a game. It will have other advantages also.

1. First problem solved would by that of piracy. Subscription based gaming works only through an online account - it's not the copy of the game that is important, as it will be freely and widely available, it's your account. (please dont make lack of conectivity an issue, as these days the only people not online are the ones that dont want to be online)

2. Rental market will dissapear. You will not need to rent to try a game and see if you like it. You just play it for as long as it keeps your interest.

3. Preowned market will dissapear - and this is very good since in my opinion preowned market and rental market are shifting the money of the gamers away from the developers and publisher.

4. Mark-up and unnecessary added costs from distribution will diminsh greatly. All the money from the gamers will get into the developers, publisher and platform holder hands.

5. This is actually a tremendous benefit for developers of good games. Not only will they make a huge amount of money at launch, since everybody will want to play the game, but they could still make money years after the release, if people are still playing the game - since gamers are buying playing time, so if they are still playing Final Fantasy or Metroid or Halo some 5-10 years from their release, that money for the developer/publisher that today he is not getting.

6. It will by an extraordinary incentive for creativity. At the present it is dificult to bring something new to gameplay, as the costs of development are so high, and if you dont "SELL" enough copies of the game, you can loose big time. So you play safe. There are a lot of very good games that sold poorly since they were too different - I'm thinking ICO, BG&E, Metal Arms, Okami or Psychonauts. People were afraid to spend 40-50 dollars for a game that is nothing like they played before. However, in a subscription based gaming, these games will thrive - when a game is different, it will be one of the first to by experienced, with no fear that you can loose your money on a wierd game.

7. Games will have more content. They will fight for your gaming hours. A 7 hour game like Max Payne, with no multiplayer and no replayability, will not bring that much revenue as a 50 hour GTA San Andreas with multiplayer (both great games) Multiplayer games, especially online ones will truly become cashcows. You will see 2-3 new maps every month, just to keep you playing.

8. Bad games will really flop. Today, if a game is bad but it has a movie licence, it can fool a lot of people into buying it. In a subscription based sistem, these bad games are doomed. If Iron Man the game sucks, no matter how good the movie was, nobody will play it, and it will not bring and money to it's developer.

9. We could finally see episodic content coming to life. A developer could start working on a game, make 2-3 levels, see what the response is, and continue with an episode every month if the gamers are interested. This keeps down costs, as you dont need to invest 5-15 mil dollars in a whole product that may tank, you can test the market with just 3-400000 .

10. Some distribution of the games will remain. There will be Premium packs, where you can have your copy of the game together with some other goodies like foto albums, maps, guides etc. These could sell for 5-15 dollars and be available through stores. Of course the copy of the game will only work if you have a valid subscription account. Another way of distribution could be through magazines. Imagine what sales would have the 360 Official Magazine if it comes exclusively binded with the latest GOW2. Or, when you go see the latest SpiderMan Movie, you get also the copy of the latest Spiderman Game, which you can play from your subscription account.

All in all, everybody will benefit from this sistem (well, apart from rental stores, retailers, second hand market, pirates and makers of bad games).

One other benefit for everybody will be the bundling of the console with the service. For instance, the PS3 could cost only 150 dollars if you subscribe for 1 year full service. Or Wii could come for free in the same terms. Just like mobile phones that get good discounts if you buy a certain service. Now, just imagine the next generation of consoles, PS4 and XboxNext and whatever Gamecube will be called next time - with starting prices of 100-150 USD if you sign for a yearly subscription, or even free, if you subscribe for 2-3 years. The install base of consoles could grow by a factor of 5-10.

One can only hope.

Which kind of subscription models have been successful for content?

I guess the most successful models would be TV and Netflix.

But there are a lot of failures, music download/streaming subscriptions being the most notable examples.

Now some people are talking up movie downloads or streaming subscriptions, obsoleting DVD and all packaged media.

But it's hard to change consumer expectations built on decades of shrink-wrap business models. People prefer to "own" content, which they can re-sell if needed (as much as games publishers and developers hate this).

There will also be resistance to adding yet another monthly bill. There will be some number of people who don't have the time nor the inclination to spend a minimum amount of money every month on games. So you have to still have some retail distribution and as long as that option is there, you will have difficulty getting enough of the installed base to use downloads exclusively.

The first console which tries to push downloads as the main distribution medium will be going out on a limb, spending more on local storage and alienating retailers (which make money on games, not console sales), being at the mercy of ISPs, particularly in the US where they're talking of caps.

When you're trying to secure market share, do you gamble on a new distribution paradigm when your competitors may not be taking such a risk?

Right now people are buying "pieces of software". The paradigm shift is that they switch into buying "hours of gameplay". You dont buy a console, and then some games to play on it. You buy "Playstation Gaming Experience" or "360 Playing Hours" or "Wii Play Time". The console is not a simple gaming machine anymore, it's your portal to a world of games proposed by the platform holder.

Playing games involves a cost, which for many gamers is monthly. Buying a game every month or two is sort of a monthly bill. I dont see a problem here, especially since there can be a lot of creativity related to the subscription plans.

For instance, there could be an "older games plan" subscription - you can play any game older than 12 months for let's say 15/month. Or "new game plan", where you can play the latest releases only. Or "15 hours plan" or "30 hours plan" etc.
The offer can be very flexible, so that anybody can fit in, it can start as low as 5 usd/month, and go to probably 40-50 usd for full unlimited access. It's like subscription plan on your mobile phones, there will always by an offer that will be good for you.

This can be implemented right now, along with the clasic model, as we are not talking actually about "distribution".

Cable or satelite providers a doing a similar, but obviously different thing, selling various bundled content, but they actually dont monitor what you watch and what you dont, so the money doesnt get to the most preffered or popular channel, as it should. Money repartition is crucial for the success of gaming subscription model.

I am convinced that it is very difficult to implement. Just think of the contracts that have to by devised and implemented. Business world is very conservative, and not willing to take risks. However, the first to try this (probably Microsoft, they are more open to business inovation and more fit to assume the risk ) will have a huge head-start and will get a lot of marketshare (for instance Sony has never been able to overcome the headstart that MS had in online play).
The others will follow quickly.

My concern would be technical quality. For example a purchased TV show or movie is of higher quality than the same content on cable,the same goes for radio vs CD.
Plus if you look at how TV is distributed vs buying your own TV DVD series or movie,the cable company controls when and how often the content is shown plus the editing of the content.I could see this happening with the distribution of games in some form.
I prefer the way it works now until I see more details.
I just don't trust that when you give ONE distributor that much control over all your content,that it would be as open as some believe it would be.
What they need to focus on next gen in terms of distribution is how to get us bigger files faster via download.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO digital subscription based gaming is the future and the hardcore gamer (one that buys 1-2 games a month) would be the ideal target segment. Initially the two models of distribution (digital subscription vs. retail) have to exist concurrently until attitudes and technology catch up to such a model. Pricing is key to success. I currently pay $24 a month for 2 games out on gameaccess.ca and would consider $60 a month excessive.

I personally don't like the digital ownership. If I own a game digitally it really does not feel like I own it. I rather buy the boxed version (out of forced habit) but rent digitally because I am not going to keep the game. I still like to buy those limited edition tin boxes. Yes, I am a sucker.

I only wish Canada had the same internet infrastructure as places like Korea and Japan. Not only does bell and rogers have caps but the bandwidth itself is too limited for distribution of full games.

My concern would be technical quality. For example a purchased TV show or movie is of higher quality than the same content on cable,the same goes for radio vs CD.
Plus if you look at how TV is distributed vs buying your own TV DVD series or movie,the cable company controls when and how often the content is shown plus the editing of the content.I could see this happening with the distribution of games in some form.
I prefer the way it works now until I see more details.
I just don't trust that when you give ONE distributor that much control over all your content,that it would be as open as some believe it would be.
What they need to focus on next gen in terms of distribution is how to get us bigger files faster via download.

We are not talking about a distributor - but the platform holder, that is SONY, MICROSOFT or NINTENDO. They have right now as much control over content as they want, since you cannot publish any game without their consent. I dont see why it should get worse.

As for quality issues, it's the same game, there are no differencies. TV vs DVD or radio vs CD - we talk about different platforms, different media, different quality. In gaming subscription we have exactly the same game, no matter how you choose do get it in your console.

Regarding the posibility of choice - again there is a huge difference between cable TV and gaming subscription: you are making the choosing, not them. You coose what you play, what you like and what you dont like. No platform holder will even dream of hiding content from their users, since they will be fighting to get you to play more hours, not less. They will put everything out there, as accesible as it can be, so that you spend more time hooked and accounted.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19136

Has another idea, which they claim works in Asia and they are pushing it in EU and USA now.

The ideea is excellent, however it has nothing to do with gaming subscription.
It's a completely different and totaly unrelated - however clever - way that some gaming companies have found to make some money in difficult markets. It's a niche market for online play, not the future of gaming distribution.

IMO digital subscription based gaming is the future and the hardcore gamer (one that buys 1-2 games a month) would be the ideal target segment. Initially the two models of distribution (digital subscription vs. retail) have to exist concurrently until attitudes and technology catch up to such a model. Pricing is key to success. I currently pay $24 a month for 2 games out on gameaccess.ca and would consider $60 a month excessive.

I personally don't like the digital ownership. If I own a game digitally it really does not feel like I own it. I rather buy the boxed version (out of forced habit) but rent digitally because I am not going to keep the game. I still like to buy those limited edition tin boxes. Yes, I am a sucker.

I only wish Canada had the same internet infrastructure as places like Korea and Japan. Not only does bell and rogers have caps but the bandwidth itself is too limited for distribution of full games.

Regarding the actuall price, who knows? I am sure that there will be in depth market analasys to evaluate how much it should be priced. I, for instance, would be happy to pay 40 Usd/month for a full access, unlimited subscription, that would mean that I get to play any game I want, for how long I want (for that month, of course). I would probably pay even 50 Usd, but I would not be so happy anymore. I would probably not pay 60 Usd, but choose another subscription plan.

In regards to the infrastructure - I dont think, even at this point, that there is a problem, in most countries. For instance, I am from one of the poorest countries of europe, and even here you can have interent just about everywhere you can find electricity, and 3 Mbit/s download costs around 10 USD/month. With this kind of speed you can download about 1 Gbyte/hour more or less, so you can have almost any game in half a day. Even by mail it take longer.

But I see a different business opportunity - downloaders. There will be some sort of a butique that you can pay 2-3 USD to buy a copy of whatever game you would like. Some people dont like/know how to download, they can use those downloaders.

Also, for people that like to have something palpable in their hands, there will always be the official hard copy, with everything included, only it will cost just 5-10-15 Usd (depending on what's inside, it could be even more), that you can buy from the store.

Another way is distribution of the game through different channels. For instance, the next Need for Speed could come as a free copy on some car magazines, like Speed. Think about the possibilities. Think about what games you can expect to come with the next edition of FHM or Cosmo, or whatever mag.

So I dont think there will be a problem for people to have a copy of the game you want to play. I think the we have more of a problem now - for instance, I have not yet seen MGS4 in my country yet (I've asked at various stores, it has never arrived here).

Sony, as PS3 seems to be modchip proof, could start right now with this, eventually within HOME. Subscription could very well coexsist with clasical distribution, for as long as the platform is not pirated. For Microsoft/360 and Nintendo/Wii, I think it's not possible to coexist, you have to completely switch to subscription, or remain as it is this generation. However, Microsoft, who will not doubt release first the next console, could have a tremendous advantage by being first on this market next generation (somewhat I dont see Sony being the first on this)

How do developers/publishers divide up this money? Until you can convince Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA and others they can all make as much or more money with this plan, its not going to happen.

If you could get all the games online with a plan like this it might not be a bad idea from a consumer perspective (queue up a few games while you sleep, play them the next day). I don't know that I'd be willing to pay $40 a month for it myself, maybe $30 as that's what I seem to average spending (1 title every 2-3 months) on games a year now. You would also need to reassure customers that its going to be around, because if they start buying peripherals for these 'rented' titles, the titles can't just go away.

The other problem is that the bandwidth really isn't there. If 20 million people in the US actually started using their 8-20mbit connections all the time there would be a problem. ISPs can mostly give away fast connections at low rates because the average customer barely touches it. You already have ISPs throttling bandwidth for high usage customers. If people were paying for a subscriptions for games you can bet they would use them. I know I'd make sure to try out every title that remotely interested me.

I think your idea is bad on many levels. Here are few examples.

First of all: costs you're trying to minimize are not that high.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061221-8479.html

Subscription works only if it's based on need. There are very few people who need access to every game. You pay subscription fee for your phone because you need a way to communicate with others. Still you have an option to select certain features on and off (and pay accordingly). The granularity of possible choices is too big and there are too many factors (genre? how do you assign game to a genre? score? how do you determine score before the game release? publisher? that's just wrong...)

There's a high entry barrier for a subscription. Do I need yet another monthly fee? Also churn rate is pretty high. How do you keep people paying the fee "forever"?

Piracy is not solved - I can play WoW on pirated servers today. How would your service prevent me from playing cracked, single player game?

Costs of distribution are low - around half $ per copy. Besides download-based services give users ability to download title multiple times - delivery costs increase for titles with high replay value.

There's no huge benefit for developers: still major $$$ go into marketing which is a must for your game to sell well.

Content is expensive - why would games have more content?

Episodic content doesn't work today because game's formula must be suitable for episodic game. Your model doesn't solve that.

How do you distribute money? By the amount of users who downloaded game? Unfair, hardcore games would suffer if majority of users were casual. By time spent with game? Unfair, single player games would suffer. How?

Also how do you see platform holder keeping 20-25% if that's even more than retail channel consumes today?

IMO this can't work in a form even remotly similar to what you suggest.

I don't think you'll find the latest version of Guitar Hero or Grand Theft Auto on there.

No, but at least where I live you also don't get the latest movies on HBO, either. Movie theaters, pay-per-view and even DVDs get them first.

Subscription works only if it's based on need. There are very few people who need access to every game. You pay subscription fee for your phone because you need a way to communicate with others. Still you have an option to select certain features on and off (and pay accordingly). The granularity of possible choices is too big and there are too many factors (genre? how do you assign game to a genre? score? how do you determine score before the game release? publisher? that's just wrong...)

Except there's a bunch of things people subscribe to that aren't phones. Like cable, or netflix or even print magazines. All provide different types of services, but they all fall under subscription.

There's a high entry barrier for a subscription. Do I need yet another monthly fee? Also churn rate is pretty high. How do you keep people paying the fee "forever"?

How do you keep people paying for subscription TV? Do people pay for netflix for a few months and then get bored and move on, MMO-style? There must be a way.

Piracy is not solved - I can play WoW on pirated servers today. How would your service prevent me from playing cracked, single player game?

I don't think it would. People can play cracked games, but are cracked WoW servers that big a deal? Do they make any noticeable impact on net income? The 360's been cracked, are MS' sales as impacted by piracy as the PSP's? Piracy's a constant of the universe, but apparently on suitably closed systems people don't mind buying games.

As to the OP, I'm not crazy about your implementation (it's a bit too similar to rentals for my taste), but I think subscriptions could work, even if they focused first on older, discounted games. The game-length ideas would be problematic, though. I don't like short games, but I don't care for games with tons of padding, either.

Except there's a bunch of things people subscribe to that aren't phones. Like cable, or netflix or even print magazines.
Except that TV/video is something most people need. There's a larger audience for DVDs or paid TV channels than for games. Also movies are already in a form which enables distribution using either analog (mail) or digital (downloads) channel. For game service you have to convince developers to enable games for your service.

How do you keep people paying for subscription TV? Do people pay for netflix for a few months and then get bored and move on, MMO-style? There must be a way.
Billions of people watch TV already, slightly less go to cinema/watch DVDs. Gaming market is what? 200 million? And for how many of those 200mln gaming is a lifestyle? Much more people make TV their lifestyle. Just because something works for cable or netflix doesn't mean would work for games - different market, different needs. And in many ways paper magazines are in decline. Internet is faster and less expensive.

I don't think it would. People can play cracked games, but are cracked WoW servers that big a deal? Do they make any noticeable impact on net income?
They never did, because MMOs create need by hooking you into social experience. That's why it is believed that MMO games that can't gather constant 100k+ players base die. MMOs are in most cases social experience and socialization is an existing need. That's why subscription works for WoW, that's why it didn't work for, e.g., Fury.

The 360's been cracked, are MS' sales as impacted by piracy as the PSP's? Piracy's a constant of the universe, but apparently on suitably closed systems people don't mind buying games.
I'm not saying piracy matters (that much). I'm just saying that this model is not going to solve the problem (whether it's big or small).

As to the OP, I'm not crazy about your implementation (it's a bit too similar to rentals for my taste), but I think subscriptions could work, even if they focused first on older, discounted games. The game-length ideas would be problematic, though. I don't like short games, but I don't care for games with tons of padding, either.
Well, GameTap is doing exactly that. And it seems it's not that great - they already cut the whole unique games-related content portal-like experience around their service.

No, but at least where I live you also don't get the latest movies on HBO, either. Movie theaters, pay-per-view and even DVDs get them first.

The OP wasn't talking about subscriptions as a 2nd run service for games you missed or didn't want to pay full price for years ago. I'm not sure gametap has any major title from the last few years on it at all.

Except that TV/video is something most people need. There's a larger audience for DVDs or paid TV channels than for games. Also movies are already in a form which enables distribution using either analog (mail) or digital (downloads) channel. For game service you have to convince developers to enable games for your service.

I think a proper subscription system is still years away. It can only take off when digital delivery is practical for everyone, but when it does I think the market will be there. If you mean today, then yeah, I agree.

Well, GameTap is doing exactly that. And it seems it's not that great - they already cut the whole unique games-related content portal-like experience around their service.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I brought them up. The concept's not bad, but it might have been too early. I'll be honest in saying that I don't know much about how GameTap worked, so maybe there were other problems in the execution, as well.

In regards to the infrastructure - I dont think, even at this point, that there is a problem, in most countries. For instance, I am from one of the poorest countries of europe, and even here you can have interent just about everywhere you can find electricity, and 3 Mbit/s download costs around 10 USD/month. With this kind of speed you can download about 1 Gbyte/hour more or less, so you can have almost any game in half a day. Even by mail it take longer.

In the US, this is still quite a problem. The problem with the internet is that it evolved and spread out over time. So the systems it is built upon vary greatly. Especially for areas that had it very early on, many of those systems aren't up to the demand for greater traffic.

Without delving into specific numbers, you can see that the problem exists by looking at the major providers. Companies like Comcast have come out and said that they are thinking of capping downloads directly. Many of the other large carriers have said they are looking into caps. The technology exists to get around needing this type of cap, but it is prohibitively expensive to install. Keep in mind that my 15.Mbit here costs me nearly $40 a month, and is the ONLY broadband I can get. Because of the way telecom companies work here, some of my neighbors can't even get that. I know of one situation where a friend cannot get any broadband, even though next door his neighbors have cable at 3Mbit. The cable company stopped laying cable one house early, and has no intention on going back and laying new cable until they can update some of their older copper systems to fiber.

Having worked for a FSP (Full Service Provider - we provided backbones and servers for smaller ISPs who could not afford to run their own), I can tell you that these issues are very widespread in the US. Numbers that say that large percentages of the population can get broadband are deceptive because they count by zipcode. If any house in the zipcode can get service, the entire zipcode is counted as having service. Older lines just don't support it as well.

I do think your model has a lot of promise though. Games like WoW have proven that subscription based gaming can work. I just think it will need to be a more hybrid type of system. Of course, there could be major changes in infrastructure in the next few years. I just don't see it happening.

Back