Saw a Lotus Elise up close and personal today

Sonic said:
Weighs too much for me. I'll stick with the Elise.

Oh, how I wish Lamborghini would release a lightweight car for once in its life. The Murcielago is a pig and all that cannot be blamed for AWD. As much as I love AWD it just isn't as good as rear wheel much of the time. Excemt off the road, then it is lovely. But I would never take a Mucielago into the dirt, too much of a risk...

I don't get it. Don't you mean the opposite? AWD for off-road, rear wheel drive for on the road?

Sonic said:
Oh, how I wish Lamborghini would release a lightweight car for once in its life. The Murcielago is a pig and all that cannot be blamed for AWD. As much as I love AWD it just isn't as good as rear wheel much of the time. Excemt off the road, then it is lovely. But I would never take a Mucielago into the dirt, too much of a risk...

I never quite got why Lamborghini insists on having AWD really. You obviously get a hell of a lot of traction, but combined with the immense torque of the engines they use they apparently EAT clutches. From what I've heard you have to be really careful and can't just dump the clutch from a standing start(where you'd think the AWD would be useful) or else the clutch would go up in smoke!

that's nonsense. Only people who have no clue how to drive an AWD would think that. A nice 5k rev and then launch works really well. LOL.

AWD is a nice feature to have at times. I do feel that Lamborghini's approach is wrong, on so many levels. Porsche has a much better system put in place and those cars have a much nicer finish to them. A lot quieter also.

The Skyline's AWD system is probably the best one I've seen to date. When it comes stateside I am sure to purchase on despite its hig cost.

I think the next project car will be another Supra. I love those cars, beautiful and sturdy. Plus 30 MPG.

And yes, it is not uncomon to replace clutches in these cars. RWD Lambo's are very nice. But that was long ago and the Diablo is no longer around.

MPI said:
I never quite got why Lamborghini insists on having AWD really. You obviously get a hell of a lot of traction, but combined with the immense torque of the engines they use they apparently EAT clutches. From what I've heard you have to be really careful and can't just dump the clutch from a standing start(where you'd think the AWD would be useful) or else the clutch would go up in smoke!

It's really simple: with AWD you have no wheel spin at all when accelerating. Or if you have such a brute of an engine that you do, it is on all the wheels at the same time. So it will still help you accelerate really fast.

Think about it. Front wheel drive is the very worst in that respect, as the whole car tilts such, that you almost lift the front wheels off the ground. Rear wheel is much better, but the inertia of the car and the unpowered front wheels will still give you lots of spin when you press the throttle down.

Burning rubber doesn't help you accelerate.

Edit: I think you agree, but were only talking about destroying the clutch really fast. Sorry about that.

Err... no shit sherlock. :? Is it obvious day already? ;)

But the Lamborghini's have so much power and so much traction that the weak link becomes the clutch and the driveline. In for instance Top Gear when they tested the Murcielago they had to ease the car off the line rolling a bit and then jam full power. It didn't do wonders for acceleration after all... Then you wonder what the point is really? Especially since AWD adds a lot of weight to the vehicle.

Then when you're up to speed there's the problem of the three differentials. AWD's when you're pushing it on tarmac can be pushy bastards, quite frankly. Limited slip differentials tends to work against turning the car, plus that you have power transmitted to the front wheels which adds extra push FWD-style. I don't want understeer in a sportscar! :)

Porsche Carrera 4's I think have 10/90 front-rear power distribution or something to lessen this understeering behaviour as much as possible. The Evo's and the Skyline have some seriously advanced computer controlled active differentials to make the cars pleasant to drive.

AWD is most helpful around corners. The BTCC Audis needed to be handicapped with weights because they were so fast around the track compared to the other cars. Anyway racing clutches can handle lots of hp but then the weak link moves to the driveshaft which can be remedied with a carbon shaft.

Oh btw Lotus also built the limited edition Sport Exige 240R using the same Yamaha/Toyota engine but supercharged to 240hp. :devilish:

exige240r05_04.jpg

Oh today I saw a black Gallardo on Sepulveda and Olympic with a Symbolic dealership plates. Last week I saw a Ford GT on Beverly Glen.

The words GM, Pontiac and Rover have been used in this thread...

*The thread loses 20 pts of reputation.*

the elise is gorgeous, AWD is the BOMB and worth every pound, and vysez... that's just inane. do you really think saying such reactionary things is outrageous or something? but, if i need a car again, i think i'd settle for a 4-dr altima. 260+ hp, relatively low-weight for a sedan, and useful. i'll be jealous of you guys, tho ;)

PC-Engine said:
Oh today I saw a black Gallardo on Sepulveda and Olympic with a Symbolic dealership plates. Last week I saw a Ford GT on Beverly Glen.

yeah i see these things constantly around where I live- my favorite is the green one. For some strange reason every single Maserati around here is silver and every Ferrari is red. When I get one I'm going to have it either blue or the same purple as my C320, even if i have to have it custom-painted.

edit:
oh yeah i saw an elise parked out in front of a house down the street from me the other day, it was white. also saw an exige in the parking garage at perot systems natl hq in plano a coupple of weeks ago. even saw a green elan at a little mechanics shop some months ago. There was even a DeLorean for sale 1 block away from me! I was so excited, i went to look at it but the poor thing had been abused and neglected inside and out. :cry:

edit2:
oh yeah, it was an esprit, not an exige I saw at ps.

PC-Engine said:
AWD is most helpful around corners. The BTCC Audis needed to be handicapped with weights because they were so fast around the track compared to the other cars. Anyway racing clutches can handle lots of hp but then the weak link moves to the driveshaft which can be remedied with a carbon shaft.

Oh btw Lotus also built the limited edition Sport Exige 240R using the same Yamaha/Toyota engine but supercharged to 240hp. :devilish:
I recently read that someone paid Lotus a couple of million dollars to build a special Exige with 400 hp that would conform to several different racing specs... Needless to say the car is very fast.

OpenGL guy said:
PC-Engine said:

I recently read that someone paid Lotus a couple of million dollars to build a special Exige with 400 hp that would conform to several different racing specs... Needless to say the car is very fast.

This is the one you're talking about. I've read that they suffered three blown engines so far racing. It uses a modified GM 3L V6.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/lotus_sport_exige.asp

sportexige05_01.jpg

Sage said:
even saw a green elan at a little mechanics shop some months ago.
Was that the US model? For some reason those seem to have a longer "nose" than the European ones. I think it spoils the look a little.

OpenGL guy said:

Just over 800 kilos and 478hp/ton will do that to a motor vehicle :D Anyone got any videos of it? Beats the 1.25 litre Zetec Ford Fiesta that my girlfriend just bought :LOL:

One of my friends has just bought himself an Elise and he seems to quite like it. I've not ridden in it myself but another friend who went for a drive as a passenger said he's never been so scared in his life! That's more about the driver than the car, however... :)

On road, the car goes like shit off a shovel, to use a colourful term. It practically sticks to the road (or so I'm told). Certainly one of the fastest cars you can get for the price.

For those who are interested, the BBC motoring programme Top Gear has a track on which they (and their 'tame racing driver') test all sorts of cars. The Exige got around pretty darn quickly - check out the link to see some of the supercars which it beat or at least got close to!

Simon F said:
Sage said:
even saw a green elan at a little mechanics shop some months ago.
Was that the US model? For some reason those seem to have a longer "nose" than the European ones. I think it spoils the look a little.

to be honest, I'm not really sure. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. i would assume, however, that it was most likely the US model being that I am in the US... i could always be wrong, though

Back