Saw a Lotus Elise up close and personal today

Well, to be fair, I've never actually driven the K-series - I was simply assuming since the reviews tend to show the Evo and the STi more in the range of the 111s/111r Elise when looking at lap times - even then, I'm not really sure how well an Elise fairs on a track (and again it would really depend on the track).

Maybe you could post some experiences as I'm really just assuming overhere... :smile:

On the other hand, now that the new 2006 STi and EVO are around the corner, I'm really curious to find out how well they fair. The EVO IX seems to be quite a beast with *very* nice acceleration (though it does have ~340bhp)... so I'm wondering how close it will get to Elise/Exige on a track...

Lotus is filling a niche of true sportcars. All the other big car manufacturers have left this part of the market, Porsche, Chevrolet, Ferrari ( everything after the 348), ... All these are moving to GT's ( or always have been making them), were the big bucks are made. Then you have some cars like the STi and Evo. Trying to be a sportscar that can be used everyday. But like everything in this world, there are compromises.

comparing them to the Elise/Exige:
-misses a lot of feedback through the steering wheel
-brake pedal feel isn't that good either
-no feeling of speed
-feels a bit heavy in the corners

+good everyday car, lots of place
+driving in comfort for long distances

Hard to compare them head to head by looking at some numbers imo, they are for a total different type of drivers to begin with. I just love mine and that's the point. ;)

If you really want some raw facts, on my last trackday ( Croix en Ternois in north of France, tiny and a lot of corners ) my times were a bit better then the Evo's (VI).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back