S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series Graphics Processors

Because TMU and ROP are important by a real game, 440GTX will be slow.
What you should pay attention to is geometry shader performance here

As you know, as for GPU of ATI R600, geometry shader is fast.
But 440GTX is faster.
Then, what's your point?

With 440GTX with faster geometry shader, what's the advantage we can take use of?
And can we programmer take the advantage, as S3G doesn't open anything on Chrome 400 serial, eg. programmer's guide!

Then, what's your point?

With 440GTX with faster geometry shader, what's the advantage we can take use of?
And can we programmer take the advantage, as S3G doesn't open anything on Chrome 400 serial, eg. programmer's guide!

Geometry shader is a standard DX10 feature. See the DirectX SDK for information.

Chrome440GTX GPUBench

WOW

Streaming: Basic Throughput
streamthroughput699.png

streamthroughputbytes115.png

Streaming: Triangle vs. Quad
streamtriquad649.png

4-Component Floating Point Input Bandwidth
inputfloatbandwidth453.png

Scalar vs Vector Instruction Issue
instrissue_scalar841.png

GeForce8800
http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/gpubench/results/8800GTX-0003/

Rather cool S3 has a DX10.1 GPU. What surprised me was drivers where indicated to be working without problems. Memory has to be the biggest bottleneck with the card.

That's a huge step forward for S3 if their drivers are working with no/minimal problems. That's always been the achilles heel for them.

Regards,
SB

maybe with its geometry performance they should market it as a cad card for laptops

they've also (as have ati) licensed patents covering advanced 3D graphics invented by Dr. Hong Lip Lim during his research in Australia for his PhD thesis. Realistic display of complicated 3D models is extremely important in applications ranging from architectural presentations to video games. The licensed patents apply fuzzy computations to cull away unimportant surfaces in these models to enable much sharper rendering.

edit: this licencing appears to be to settle a lawsuit, same with ati

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say i'm impressed. FSAA nails it but this feature isn't intended for low end cards anyway.
But if you compae it against 8500 GT, it's doing incredibly well. Especially for only 64bit bus and such low profile cooling. I just hope S3 will go a bit more agressive against competition by offering something in low-mid segment. We really need third player in the graphics scene.
And with Intel as fourth, it should be interesting again.

fsaa is an issue for me, I expect it on low end cards and even on IGPs, where 800x600 2x looks better and faster to me than 1024 with no AA.

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/technology/gpgpu/

Chrome GPGPU Products for Computation-Intensive Applications
Benefits of GPGPU Computing on S3 Graphics Chrome Products:

・Increase calculation throughput and density
・Map application/algorithm parallelism to GPU parallelism
 ・Instruction level parallelism
 ・Data level parallelism
 ・Task parallelism
・Stream processors can be programmed to match application

Applications Enhanced with S3 Graphics Chrome GPGPU
A variety of computation-intensive markets and applications require the high-throughput parallel processing power of the Chrome Series GPGPU stream processor cores, including:

・Image Processing using S3FotoPro™
・Video Color Correction
・Video Encoding / Transcoding
・Scientific Research
・Game Physics
・Engineering Analysis
・Financial Analysis
・Signal Processing

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/pressroom/pressrelease/2008/S3GPR081017GPGPU_S3FotoPro.jsp

S3 Graphics Showcases GPGPU Functionality with S3FotoPro™ Image Enhancement Application

i admit to be wholly ignorant of S3 nowadays so i'm wondering if anyone would please indicate which market(s) the company has competed quite well. here in Canada the consumer market is always (if not mostly) dominated by AMD/ATI, nVidia and integrated solutions by Intel. perhaps S3 is more visible in the embedded GPU market? if i were to purchase a pre-built notebook or desktop i wouldn't object to having S3 components as a option.

Question are the Chrome 400 Series capable of Multisampling or not? Unless AF is serioiusly impacting performance in that TechPowerUp review, it rather smells like Supersampling performance. If yes does Multisampling really cost that much to implement in the end?

***edit: save the answer it does support MSAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.s3graphics.com/en/technology/gpgpu/

Chrome GPGPU Products for Computation-Intensive Applications
Benefits of GPGPU Computing on S3 Graphics Chrome Products:

・Increase calculation throughput and density
・Map application/algorithm parallelism to GPU parallelism
 ・Instruction level parallelism
 ・Data level parallelism
 ・Task parallelism
・Stream processors can be programmed to match application

Applications Enhanced with S3 Graphics Chrome GPGPU
A variety of computation-intensive markets and applications require the high-throughput parallel processing power of the Chrome Series GPGPU stream processor cores, including:

・Image Processing using S3FotoPro™
・Video Color Correction
・Video Encoding / Transcoding
・Scientific Research
・Game Physics
・Engineering Analysis
・Financial Analysis
・Signal Processing

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/pressroom/pressrelease/2008/S3GPR081017GPGPU_S3FotoPro.jsp

S3 Graphics Showcases GPGPU Functionality with S3FotoPro™ Image Enhancement Application

This seems naive comparing to that from NV, maybe S3G just wanna show the possibility to do so called GPGPU functionality on their dedicated products. This app should be taking advantages of the shaders to help processing. As itaru pointed out in previous posts, shader performance from S3G's Chrome 400 is not bad!

I have a trial on my desktop computer, it works around 6~8 times faster with Chrome 430GT than that purely cpu processing! At least I can say, it works!!

Back