SiliconArts Launches RayCore Path-Series

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Davros, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Davros

Legend

SiliconArts today released RC-MC, its next generation RayCore graphics architecture. The RayCore MC is scalable and modular to enable integration on a wide variety of gaming platforms including cloud, desktop, mobile, console and VR/AR.
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...es-RayCore-Path-Series-Availability-“The-GPU/

Some more info
    https://sites.google.com/a/siliconarts.co.kr/siliconarts-com/Products/ray-tracing-gpu-ip-raycore

More detailed information
    http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/SATO/Raycore/raycore.pdf

#1 Davros, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Lightman and eloyc like this.
  2. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I'm crazy about any improvements in RTRT, and as well as I like the news and releases of new products, their promotional video is hiiiiiighly misleading. Once you watch their real time demos, you can't but notice the plasticky, artificial look to it, when RT is supposed to be just about the contrary. Yes, it is technically impressive but there are some light/shadows interactions which don't seem right. Maybe their artistic choices didn't help much, either.

BRiT likes this.
  3. Lurkmass

Newcomer

Well here's where their problem might lie:

Their hardware is mainly designed to accelerate the Whitted light-transport algorithm which have a couple of limitations like not being able to support glossy reflections, soft shadows or caustics so I don't think the graphical features produced can be compared to a path tracer or any other more advanced light-transport algorithms but I see their implementation also mentions the capability to do distributed ray-tracing as well ...

chris1515 likes this.
  4. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Yet they use a promotional video full of pretty CGI.

5. Lurkmass

Newcomer

They mention "interactive visualizations" in the video so these are probably demos involving professional rendering ...

6. eloyc

Veteran Regular

"They mention", "probably"... my points stays the same: congrats to them, but the video is misleading.

7. Frenetic Pony

Regular Newcomer

"Please buy us Qualcomm"

8. Leovinus

Newcomer

~Please notice me Qualcomm-senpai~