Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if disassembling the PS3 is the only way to get it quiet agani, but I did try cleaning with a rather powerful vacuum cleaner... sadly to no avail.

I suspect, it must be pretty dusty in side which is causing it make more noise (heat up more quick) and the only way I know of to get to the fan, is to disassemble it... I'd much rather just buy a slim PS3 though. :oops:

If you have a non-BC PS3 you may use the fan-test to blow away some dust.
http://www.gamegrep.com/news/8618-the_playstation_3_can_clean_itselfs_of_dust/
http://www.1up.com/boards/posts/list/36098.page

Sony pressconf starts in 9 hours and 9 minutes. In 20PM CET time.

Geoff Keighley from GT twittered that it will last 2 hours. :D

Unfortunately I have to watch over my little one during Sony's conference, but I'll create a thread again the minute it starts just like I did yesterday for Microsoft.

It should include the 45nm CPU, but I haven't heard anything about the RSX 45nm manufacuring having started up. Early conference statements by toshiba pointed to 45nm RSX manufacture around spring 2009, but I don't follow consoles as closely as CPUs. A quick google search comes up rather dry as well. If both parts have changed lithographic process we should be at 80ish Watts at the plug for the new PS3, if it's just the CPU that is updated, power draw should be around 100W, both at gameplay.

Both parts being updated would simplify the formfactor, and allow cost reductions on both cooling and power supply. And hopefully help keep the console quiet, both in use and over time.

Since the Sony press conference has come and gone without a mention of a price drop - is it safe to now assume that they'll work to lower their inventory of the existing SKUs?

I guess the safe bet now is:

1. Steadily lower inventory through the summer months.

2. Make an announcement at the Tokyo Game Show (isn't this late August/early September?) that the PS3 slim exists and will go on sale in....

3. September/October at a new pricepoint of $299?

Seeing as how console sales begin to increase in September, a $299 slim model and the right marketing push for software could potentially shift some units this holiday season.

Maybe even some bundle options (throw in KZ2 or Infamous), a 160gb hard drive and pricing it at $349 might be a compelling offer to those that have yet to pick up a system.

I haven't had nearly the time I'd like lately to follow the latest and post on it, but I'll just throw out that in PS3-related commercials lately I've noticed the 'branding' at the end of the commercial - and it was evident at E3 yesterday as well - has shifted from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3; since the PS3 Slim moves to that lettering on its case, well I think it's another strong tie-in. I definitely believe it's on the way, and not that it was expected for yesterday anyway, but I just think E3 was more about pushing the PSP Go! for Sony.

The PS3 logos I saw on G4 were still using the Spiderman font. The purported slim box image we've seen uses a different font.

Not that that means anything.

Sony probably wouldn't jump the gun on changing their logo, though. I am curious as to why they brought back the robot voice.

The PS3 logos I saw on G4 were still using the Spiderman font. The purported slim box image we've seen uses a different font.

Not that that means anything.

The new PS3 logo is clear at the end of some the E3 videos on the PSN, I think the Uncharted 2 had it. They are obviously in a transition period where some stuff has the old and some the new.

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if any of you learned folk have heard but there was a new rumour reported on Engaget just now about Sony putting in manufacturing orders for the PS3 Slim to begin shipping as early as July 2009:oops:

... :D I know...!

The source is here: http://udn.com/NEWS/STOCK/STO3/4990039.shtml

It does talk about PS3 "Slim", July shipping date, and mention 2 Taiwanese contractors. It made the news because one of the contractors, Foxconn, won 50% of the contract (up from 20%).

The same article also mentioned the positive financial impact of Windows 7 on Foxconn.

Foxconn officials declined to comment. No mention of price drop (You never know what a profit minded Sony would do). :devilish:

This Sin person on GAF who has, for what it's worth, actually been on the money quite a few times said we'd see them in August. In either case, I imagine we'll hear about this during GC.

It's possible that they are pushing them out early, even if supply constrained, to try to ramp up some demand on a "new product".

July is tomorrow. Putting in order only recently seems too late. There may be some elements of truth in that article but unless Sony has locked in their order months and months ago, I don't think we can see Slim in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back