PS3 games playable on PSP via Remote Play

IMO, it's more interesting to think about doing it over the internet, although obviously control lag increases. Access to a PS3-based collection of games from your PSP anywhere in the world is a pretty neat concept. And with video-out on the new PSPs, you can play such games, view your photos/videos etc. on any big screen near you too when away from home.

There's a Youtube video here of Lair over a local network. It looks playable enough despite lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mASdFCTNA7I

That video is pretty cool. For all those reviews complaining about using the motion controls, now they can play it on the psp with the analog stick :p

As long as upload bandwidth in your home can serve a 480x272 video stream encoded in realtime by Cell and latency is not prohibitively big you should be able to play it over internet.
That's a pretty big if. Anyone know anything about the compression? Due to the interactive nature it probably can't use motion estimation, and due to control lag encoding based on frame similarities probably goes out the window as well. Then we're down to packed frames, and at a relatively high compression ratio of four pixels per byte, 30 FPS video will need approximately 1MB/s.

Suitable for a LAN, but not exactly common domestic internet speeds.

You can adjust settings to trade off picture quality against latency apparently.

FWIW, I remember that video serving box Sony made recommending 350 kbps upload for viewing video content over the internet from it. Of course, it was probably 24fps content.

Also, what I was referring to earlier was a collection of PS3 games based off your HDD and whatever happened to be in your BD drive (e.g. PSN games, PSone/PS2 games, and the disc game in your drive). Of course, this also adds another potential reason for making more or all games installable ;) Or all games that are remote play compatible at least.

Yes, I remember that. My opinion hasn't changed though (Home network upstream may be too slow for fast games), but I'd love to be proven wrong !

I believe you got Playstation Home (Kutaragi's Matrix vision) right too.

On hindsight, I think Sony misstepped. They should have delayed Lair launch until they are ready to announce this RemotePlay news together. It would give F5 more time to polish the game even further. The critically acclaimed Warhawk can anchor the show now anyway.

It will also give more technical context to interpret Lair's performance. The marketing team seem to worry only about the secrecy of Sony's plan, but forgot about the gamers' needs/perceptions.

Please wake up ! :)

Yes, I remember that. My opinion hasn't changed though (Home network upstream may be too slow for fast games), but I'd love to be proven wrong !

I was thinking...

If they have this base technology, then it may be more worthwhile to explore pay per view/subscription gaming on PSP. i.e., The game is hosted on a Sony server like Warhawk, and streamed to a PSP. This sidesteps all the issues associated with a home network.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGS4 for the psp!!!
Now that would be huge! I'm not sure about the controls but that could be amazing!
Anyway, it's a shame that LAIR is receiving negative reviews... It could be a double system seller with this feature...

Yes... if we abstract the problem further, what Sony needs next is to:

* Float/virtualize the save files (i.e., make it possible to read/save game files between authorized PS3s). This can be done by copying/caching the save files to another PS3, and then copy back at the end of the game automatically. It should be easy since they can already tunnel through home firewalls/routers.

That way, a PSP user can pick the "nearest" PS3 on the network as their host (e.g., Sony's can set up dedicated PS3 hosts for time sharing). Naturally, this only makes sense if many people want it. :)

In fact, if they have the above mechanism, a PS3 owner can also play their game from another PS3 friend's home transparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to dig up an ancient 3yr old thread but i have a burning question bout what is currently capable (and also possible in future with the PSP2) with the "remote play" functionality of the PS3 - PSP.

So far Sony seems to have put this feature to the sidelines, but i'm wondering, especially now that there currently exists a PSP unit out on the market (albeit in miniscule quantities) that supports bluetooth connectivity, whether Sony could extend "remote play" on the PSPGo to allow the use of a PS3 controller and the Go to play any and all PS3 games remotely (as opposed to a specific selection that support the feature)?

As it currently stands, it very much seems to me that "remote play" as a feature was gimped primarily due to the fact that the PSP has not the right amount of buttons and inputs for an effective "universal remote play" system to work. However since the PSPGo ships with bluetooth connectivity out of the box, and also even allows for the use of a SIXAXIS/DS3 to play PSP games using bluetooth, I must ask why can't Sony develope a universal remote play system?

It would be awesome for people like me to be able to take my PSPGo and SIXAXIS outside on my lawn on a sunny day and play my all PS3 games remotely.

Would there really be any technical limitation to doing this?

NOTE: i'm not commenting on "remote play" over the internet, but rather a local area network via Wi-Fi.

In this case the current system is already robust enough to stream the PS3 video stream over Wi-Fi to the PSP. Come to think of it, maybe the PSP having bluetooth may not even be necessary as you could just use the normal DS3/SIXAXIS connected through BT to the PS3 directly... maybe even have the PS3 controller connected via BT to the PSP if you were doing "remote play" over the inet?

Surely this should be technically doable on both counts? That being so why doesn't Sony impliment this as a much better system to the current one and thus alleviate any need for developers to have to add any extra code to their games to support it, as it could be implimented on an OS level... FW update maybe?

That would be sick!!!

Back