Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Shrinking the die from miniscule to sub miniscule is going to be a saving of...miniscule amount!

Heh I never really thought of that, but now that you mentioned it yeah the CPU can't get any smaller because it's pad limited? Of course the GPU can shrink a bit more but IBM doesn't manufacture that component.

And another...

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090727PD219.html
Sony PS3 components demand growing significantly

Hans Wu, Taipei; Meiling Chen, DIGITIMES [Monday 27 July 2009]

Taiwan OEMs recently have placed significant orders for key Sony PS3 components from IC distributors, with average monthly volume enough for making one million units of the games console in the third quarter, double the average in the second quarter, according to sources with IC distributors.

The sources estimated the growth momentum will remain strong through October thanks to the year-end holiday demand.

PS3's chipset is provided by Renesas Technology, and supply is falling short of the strong demand currently, the sources noted.

Sales of time division synchronizers used in PS3 have also increased, and shipments are expected to top four million units per month in the third quarter, added the sources.

There are:
* Videos and pictures of Slim hardware from various unofficial and not-so-credible sources
* Report on possible 45nm Cell ramp up in East Fishkill
* Report on other commodity component production ramp up (That last article above)
* SCEE organizing a press briefing in August (or is it Sept ?)

It points to a possible new SKU release since I think 80Gb PS3 uses 65nm Cell. Whether and when it's a slim model is a separate question altogether.

Well it points to something because with lack of demand so far you think they wouldn't need a massive buildup to the holidays unless they are expecting a price drop and/or new model.

Well it points to something because with lack of demand so far you think they wouldn't need a massive buildup to the holidays unless they are expecting a price drop and/or new model.

That's true. Although it's hard to say how much they need to ramp without knowing actual inventory levels. There's just as much possibility that production during Q2 of this year was ramped down due to lower than expected demand in which case Q3 would need to be ramped up regardless.

45nm rumors certainly do indicate something coming. Probably a PS3 Slim, although could also be a cost reduced PS3. But yeah, I'd go with PS3 Slim before I went with another cost reduced PS3.

Regards,
SB

45nm rumors certainly do indicate something coming. Probably a PS3 Slim, although could also be a cost reduced PS3. But yeah, I'd go with PS3 Slim before I went with another cost reduced PS3.

Slim would be another cost reduced PS3 + 45nm would bring cost reductions to PS3 in any case...

Slim would be another cost reduced PS3 + 45nm would bring cost reductions to PS3 in any case...

Usually true, but I'm not expecting Sony to reduce the price on the PS3. Even for the Slim. BTW - I should have clarificed cost reduced when I said it to refer to consumer price of console not manufacturer price.

Regards,
SB

But yeah, I'd go with PS3 Slim before I went with another cost reduced PS3.

:???:

A slim would be a cost reduced PS3. Whether or not the reduction makes it to the retail price immediately is a different question, but it has to be soon based on Sony's forecast.

Do expect a $400 PS3 forever?

Slim model is more a margin growing than a reduce price product.

You can't grow what you don't have. ;)

Anyway 45nm fabrication has been on the horizon for a while, as Patsu pointed out in that excellent B3D piece! :cool:

The Slim itself, whether in existence now or later, is just the packaging of the components that would drop in expense whether or not they were presented in an improved form-factor, though the form factor itself is an improvement in the expense of said plastic packaging (nominal). We've had variations on this discussion before, with people stating that Sony will be able to lower costs when a new slimmer revision launches; that's the inverse of what the truth is though, which is that Sony will be able to launch a revised form-factor once the component costs have lowered, assuming there the explicit link between heat/die cost/die size/mainboard considerations.

To go back to the beginning of the thought though, for myself, firstly I've always been of the stance "they'll lower it when they can," and have often argued against the imminence or even ability to have a price cut when the previous rumors have swirled.

Here though, I do think there will be a price cut before the year is through; via a feature/model upgrade they could justify price continuance, but... I will place my chips on the price cut square for this one. And it means I think they will still be making a loss on each unit sold as well, but there's enough brewing now that I think Sony may be inclined to expand its penetration via the angle of: 'PS3, it's what's still missing in your entertainment setup...'

Here though, I do think there will be a price cut before the year is through; via a feature/model upgrade they could justify price continuance, but... I will place my chips on the price cut square for this one. And it means I think they will still be making a loss on each unit sold as well, but there's enough brewing now that I think Sony may be inclined to expand its penetration via the angle of: 'PS3, it's what's still missing in your entertainment setup...'

I agree it would be a good time to cut the price. Also if they wish to come even remotely close to their prediction of shipping 30% more PS3's than 2008, they don't really have a choice.

I'm still not sure the company is on firm enough financial grounds to weather a cost cut if it doesn't result in quite significant movement of software and accessories.

And since I personally don't think the world economy is going to be much better this winter than it is currently, I guess I have a rather dim view of that happening for any of the console makers.

Regards,
SB

Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sucker Punch all worked on new adult IPs as their first projects. I think they and Sony decided a $400-$600 console would have an older audience, so the new IPs made sense (and were all great). Now we have Eye Pet, Mod Nation Racer and Free Realms coming soon, that might hint at a $299 PS3. Just a thought.

Adding to the rumormill, on The GAF several members are 'confirming' that the Slim will come in September, with no pricing planned, and the 80GB will drop to 300EUR in August.

Of course, this is a SCEE rumor, and they seem to be more fond of selling stuff than SCEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back