Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude WHSmith...and it was on Play.com too for a while. HMV did the £280 for two games, Blu-ray and remote.
The occassional store-deal, maybe. But PS3 certainly isn't close to being £200 and I'm sure an actuall £199.99 price tag will have a lot of interest. Bundles are good for some people but not others, especially when you have friends with a console who's games you can borrow, and especially not when the bundled games are unwanted!

If they announce it on Aug.18th then they will have more then one month of uber low PS3 Phat sales. My guess is that Slim will be out in fist week of September.

I'd say there's a good chance of a price drop before Christmas. If you can hold out until then, you'll save a pretty penny.

The occassional store-deal, maybe. But PS3 certainly isn't close to being £200 and I'm sure an actuall £199.99 price tag will have a lot of interest. Bundles are good for some people but not others, especially when you have friends with a console who's games you can borrow, and especially not when the bundled games are unwanted!

Well I wasn't saying it was permanent. But as far as I'm aware the WHSmith one is stil going.

And bundles wise - it's ESPECIALLY good if you don't want the game. Buy the console, games and blu-ray for £280...sell each game and Blu-ray for around £20 each and you've made back £60, meaning the PS3 cost you £220...

Common sense Shifty!:D

It's good on Amazon too. You buy a PS3 for £280 for Terminator Salvation, Terminator Rise of the Machines, another PS3 game of your choice, and another PS3 game for only £10.

So you could get around £80 back!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Kotaku, 80Gb to be discontinued in Japan:
http://kotaku.com/5329352/80gb-playstation-3-to-be-discontinued-in-japan

This notice is apparently from retailer 7-Eleven (7-Eleven sells video games in Japan) and stats that pre-orders for the Black, White and Silver 80GB PS3 will cease on Sunday, August 9 at 10am.

The reason listed is literally "For the manufacturer" — or at the maker's request.

The notice also notes that all in-store displays for the 80GB model are to be taken down.

The "System and Technlogy Group" doesn´t really sound like the manufacturing department to me.

And what more, I find it hard to believe that this would be a ramp for the holiday production it sounds pretty late for such a vital component in my ears.

I would guess Sonys name has something to do with moving Cell to a 32 nm bulk CMOS process. IBM already has an Alliance (inlcuding Freescale and Toshiba) working on that in East Fishkill.

IBM has garnered support from Chartered, Samsung, Infineon, and Freescale to "develop and manufacture advanced 32-nanometer semiconductors." Of course, we're still not sure if the loose ends surrounding IBM's 65-nanometer team effort are all tied off, but onward and upward they go regardless. The collaborative agreements between the firms "include 32-nanometer bulk complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) process technologies and joint development of process design kits (PDKs) to support that technology," which basically means that the companies will attempt to work together at IBM's East Fishkill plant through 2010 to produce "high-performance, energy-efficient chips at 32nm."

And an update from June 2009:
IBM Corp.'s ''fab club'' claims to be on track to introduce high-k/metal-gate technology ahead of all other foundries at the 32-nm node. As reported, it expects to be ready to accept 32-nm designs in the second half of 2009, with the ability to ramp production in first half of 2010.

Concerning Nintendo it may be a good time to submit a 32 nm CPU design for the Wii HD if they are aiming for a 2011 launch.

I just noticed the new "PS3" branded has started appearing on game trailers.
Are you sure it's not "PS3" spelled out in the old spidy font? That's been going on for months now. The alleged new PS3 logo is in a different font. It's all rounded and soft.

Are you sure it's not "PS3" spelled out in the old spidy font? That's been going on for months now. The alleged new PS3 logo is in a different font. It's all rounded and soft.

The rounded, non-spidey "PS3" was used in some E3 trailers. It was the same style as the leacked slim pics from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back