Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One user wrote on GAF that ps3 is around $410 there. Same as this one.

I think I know the quote you're referring to, but that guy was circularly quoting the "- The guy was selling it for 20,000 pesos, which is roughly £250, which is roughly $410" line from the initial story revelation.

The only thing I found of any use was http://technogra.ph/20080325/sections/rundowns/playstation-3-sighted-in-the-philippines/, in which they say that a 40Gb console was 16600 Pesos/$400, which was considered low.

Looking through Filipino boards, it seems like ~20k is a pretty standard price (but I could be wrong, as I don't speak filipino).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I know the quote you're referring to, but that guy was circularly quoting the "- The guy was selling it for 20,000 pesos, which is roughly £250, which is roughly $410" line from the initial story revelation.

That's right obonicus, the guy "TheLastDestroyer" was on the official PS3 forums, and we were speaking with him directly. The guy on the black market shop was selling it for 20,000 pesos, the guy himself went on to tell you the international currency equivalents.

Obviously, it may not be $410 when released in the US, and definitly won't be £250 in the UK (especially if the PSPGo UK pricing is anything to go off... i.e. £249 =/= $249:devilish:). He also confirmed that standard PS3 fatty's are sold for the same price (~$410) in the phillipines.

Anybody can find out which market, because I got family in the Philippines and can get some of them to do a check, if its the right city of course :D

But it does not look very nice :/ I am having second thoughts about "upgrading" my old 60GB to this one now...

I uprezzed the video in HD and took a look at it frame by frame. This looks like the real thing even with the terrible video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aN1gqcJjQE

Look at the placement of the serial number, ethernet, power plug, the perfect matte/glossy finish. Why would someone spend 30+ hours to create something like this only to film it with a cell phone. The details and clearances all look like a retail manufactured product to me.

So philippines got the machine first and there is a total of one machine on sale in some underground market? Did the guy steal it from some Sony warehouse or what? He is the only one in the world selling it? I'd like to know a bit more about this.

I uprezzed the video in HD and took a look at it frame by frame. This looks like the real thing even with the terrible video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aN1gqcJjQE

Look at the placement of the serial number, ethernet, power plug, the perfect matte/glossy finish. Why would someone spend 30+ hours to create something like this only to film it with a cell phone. The details and clearances all look like a retail manufactured product to me.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've seen people do far more expensive pranks targetted at a far far smaller audience. And filming it with a relatively low quality camera (IE cell phone) would be the perfect way to mask any imperfections in a prank.

It might be real, it might not be real...

Regards,
SB

So philippines got the machine first and there is a total of one machine on sale in some underground market? Did the guy steal it from some Sony warehouse or what? He is the only one in the world selling it? I'd like to know a bit more about this.

In Asia, it is possible that someone smuggled a few units that failed QA (from test/early production run) and tried to sell it. This happened for iPhone today as well. Some even offer a discount because say... the Bluetooth doesn't work. Unless we know how the unit got there, it's hard to say when this thing will hit the market. It may just be a shell. :p

On the other hand, it is also plausiable that it's a knock off. You see fake iPhones surfacing in Asia from time to time. Looks like one, but it's something else. The casing may be different but the seller will call it by the branded name (iPhone, PS3). It happens more for machines that are not cracked yet. Otherwise, they'd just sell the original, hacked version (e.g., jail break iPhones, hacked PSPs with bundled games and movies, modded original Xbox 360)

Umm, im sure it must of been mentioned before but its possible this product is, though real, a knockoff of th Playstation3 like the Vii was to the Wii?

Yeah, that's the part that doesn't make sense in the 'Vii' vein. And it seems like a terribly elaborate way to take advantage of gullible, half-informed PS3 owners looking for a slim.

And it ties in with Chinese manufacturing leaks. So are we to believe the leaks were fake, and then someone copied the leaks to an elaborate degree only to the sell the phony product at a Filipino market? Surely there are better ways to make money, especially illicitly!

My expectation is this is a real console leaked from a shipment. A slim PS3 makes sense as a cost-cutting measure, and with known process shrinks it's certainly viable. The effort needed to create this as a forgery goes beyond its value, unless it's some elaborate hoax for the fun of it.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've seen people do far more expensive pranks targetted at a far far smaller audience. And filming it with a relatively low quality camera (IE cell phone) would be the perfect way to mask any imperfections in a prank.

It might be real, it might not be real...

Regards,
SB

For some reason the bolded portion of your post makes me think of Milo and Natal.

Anyway, did you ever think maybe it's recorded on a Cell Phone because people may not own high quality camera's and Cell Phones are fairly common and all purpose? I mean, I don't carry around my camcorder around, and I know far more people who don't own one at all.

If that really is the real deal and there is only one of them, then it should be worth A LOT more than the normal retail price! There is no official launch date for it so who knows when it'll actually get's released. I'm sure it would sell for a quite a substantial amount of money, yet here we have a junk store salesman selling it in some underground market for the normal price. It just doesn't make too much sense to me.

If you had some unique item, would you sell it for low price, even if it's stolen?

It's possible that the Filipino store doesn't really know what he has. 'Here, a new PS3', and the guy accepts it at face value, without knowing that there are people with too much money and too little sense who would pay ridiculous amounts for a collectible.

And it ties in with Chinese manufacturing leaks. So are we to believe the leaks were fake, and then someone copied the leaks to an elaborate degree only to the sell the phony product at a Filipino market? Surely there are better ways to make money, especially illicitly!

The Chinese leak stories may have the wrong date though. The first leak didn't say anything about a launch date. In the second article, it flagged a July shipping date (which is this month), and also mentioned that Sony will release another next gen console next year. Seems unlikely.

If the July date is the delivery date from Foxconn to Sony, then may be it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back