rumblings of something huge going on with SEGA

rabidrabbit said:
Just as for Sony fan, it would be ideal if all Nintendo and Sega games would be available on Sony console.
That will never happen of course. Nintendo consoles are mostly sold by Nintendo games. It's always been like that and always will be.

thop said:
rabidrabbit said:
Just as for Sony fan, it would be ideal if all Nintendo and Sega games would be available on Sony console.
That will never happen of course. Nintendo consoles are mostly sold by Nintendo games. It's always been like that and always will be.

Errrmmm I think he was just giving an example...................... :D

The portable console idea is interesting from the perspective that SEGA was the only company ever to succeed against the Game Boy in that sector. In fact, the Game Gear turned the momentum to become the leader in sales rate when SEGA was still serious about it... this was when their public image was at the height of its edginess.

Growth in portable gaming was slow back then, and SEGA redirected efforts instead to an emerging market they thought had better potential: the infusion of entertainment into fields of education and child development. For this, they released the Pico, an edutainment machine which actually saw its own success... enough that even Nintendo eventually signed on as a third party and released Pokemon for it in Japan.

Nintendo remained diligent to their handheld and would go on to re-ignite the market towards vast, new growth through continual support and later the Pokemon phenomenon.

I don't see SEGA pursuing it, but they could have quite the monster in their hands with a Dreamcast-friendly, new MBX device for the portable sector. And FSAA'd come standard!

I feel sega would go best with nintendo. They would go largely ignored with sony(too many other developers), but they would fill a lot of gaps in nintendo's lineup and give that cushy feeling the fanboys love.

However, microsoft would benefit the most, sega would actually give them a valid name to market...though they sort of tried that on xbox and it didn't help at all. But in sega and nintendo teamed up, I kind of see that as a ship that would sink together, or still be unable to claim a decisive victory over microsoft.(they could help nintendo a lot though, be something like what rare was for snes and n64)

I don't see room for a 4th console(or even a 3rd from sega if nintendo dropped out), nor do I see sega being able to compete with a new handheld. They probably could do a dreamcast powered $100 handheld by now....hmm.....that sounds nice, graphics of the psp for the price of the ds, that would make a nice in between system.

Forget it, Sega will be supporting PSP and DS, so why would they make a portable Dreamcast system? I like the thought though, but I'd rather see them making an extra million Dreamcasts with build-in DVD, Broadband adapter and the re-release of the best titles, with online gameplay (warp pipe program or something).

Game gear is considered a failure on SEGA's part, so it is not the only portable to successfully go aganst the Gameboy.

Lazy8s said:
I don't see SEGA pursuing it, but they could have quite the monster in their hands with a Dreamcast-friendly, new MBX device for the portable sector. And FSAA'd come standard!

Man, we hear that so often, that a MBX portable console would rule and yet...where is it?

If there were 100s of companies able to field a portable with a proprietary architecture (rather than a PocketPC in disguise) Im sure one of them would have selected the MBX. There are 3-4 and there are a lot more factors they consider than purely technical excellence, or even rational thought for that matter (Dilbert is a documentary, not fiction).

Any validity to this, Sonic?

http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=1042

The announcement on May 12th at 10:00am PST will send shockwaves throughout the industry and will be an unprecedented first in the gaming market. Sega intends to form an alliance with a major console maker and co-develop the next generation console with them. In turn, all Sega games will be exclusive to that console and the Sega brand will be affixed to the front of the console much like a "Dolby Digital" logo. Yes, Sega is becoming a brand identification.

So no Dreamcast 2, No Alex Kidd Gamecube, No BS.

Cheers.

SegaInformant

godshand said:
Any validity to this, Sonic?

http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=1042

The announcement on May 12th at 10:00am PST will send shockwaves throughout the industry and will be an unprecedented first in the gaming market. Sega intends to form an alliance with a major console maker and co-develop the next generation console with them. In turn, all Sega games will be exclusive to that console and the Sega brand will be affixed to the front of the console much like a "Dolby Digital" logo. Yes, Sega is becoming a brand identification.

So no Dreamcast 2, No Alex Kidd Gamecube, No BS.

Cheers.

SegaInformant

Who could it be? Sony stands well enough alone.
Microsoft could use the help, don't want a repeat of the xbox's controller afterall, but microsoft seems to have their hardware fairly set as well.
Wouldn't it be interesting if sega talked nintendo into going powervr instead of ATI? Nintendo may have a good relationship with ati, but powervr seems to fit nintendo's plans better, actual high performance relatively cheap graphics chip for handhelds already available and they could probably produce a cheap yet competitive console chip as well...I don't know how nintendo feels about having essentially the same hardware as microsoft but less powerful....(actually, that might not be a bad thing for them, developers would do tons of quick ports to nintendo's system just to make an extra buck....a crappy port may be better than no port at all......nah, that just gives a system a bad reputation, better for a system to be known for its quality than the amount of ports it gets)

Qroach said:
What if it really is Cell phone's sega is getting into. I mean getting purchased by nokia or even IMG, and the next hardware they release is cell phone related? Don't forget that sega sold off sega net to Nokia I think?

Did one of the rumors say that they hardware they release will be silver or platinum in color? How about a new N-gage?

SEGA does not know anything about making cellphones.

Man, we hear that so often, that a MBX portable console would rule and yet...where is it?

Because of course we all know that its just that easy don't we?....

First you need a company who actually wants to enter the handheld gaming market. Then you need that company to be interested in outside technology, as apposed to being focused on using internal tech. Look at Sony, do you really think they would use an outside IP for PSP's GPU no matter how good it was?.. no chance.

So far MBX has been licensed by Intel, Philips, Texas Instruments, Hitatchi, Samsung, NEC, STM, Sharp, ARM and probably more that I can't remember. The chips speed, features and power usage are unmatched in its field, all the companies above think so. So obviously it could make an excellent gaming handheld GPU. That won't change even if its never released in a handheld games console (although I wouldn't count out an MBX based handheld console yet, its still early days).

NAOMI 3 with VF5 might be sooner.

I'll give it around 1 year after Final Tuned released. It may get shown earlier, and maybe on test earlier. But released probably summer next year.

If Final Tuned drops in popularity fast, than there might be pressure from Arcades to release VF5 earlier.

Teasy said:
Because of course we all know that its just that easy don't we?....

No less difficult than to say the same thing over and over. ;) Very little difference in the end by comparing IMRs and saying, "If a TBR were at the same Mhz as an IMR, the TBR would stomp all over it". The problem lies with the assumptions (e.g. that a TBR could be clocked at the same Mhz in the first place). I'm just getting tired of NOT seeing something.

There is so much speculation. Really, just wait until E3 and for this major announcement. I will not reveal company information that will cause me to lose my job. For all I know these rumors were attained from here right in this thread. Maybe SEGA will team up with one console manufacturer an dmaybe that console manufacturer is Sammy. Maybe SEGA will focus on the arcade more and forget about the console market. I really don't see this as big news, good but not big.

Back