RTX4070ti on the way - Some concerns over the power plug

That's a smart looking case. Love that CPU cooler.

This is the cooler: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arc...um-fins-4x-direct-touch-copper-heatpipes-inte

I've changed the stock fans and added some RGB ones, this is what it looks like when it's powered on.

It's not as bright in person as the window on the case is quite heavily tinted and takes away the over brightness from the fans and my phone does a terrible job of picking up the colour of the RGB properly.

Attachments

• IMG20230128221834.jpg
    IMG20230128221834.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
I've decided to sell the old GTX 1070 (I usually just stick my old components in a cupboard) as well as my 3700x and 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz and pick up a 5800X3D + 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz with the proceeds. Looks like I'll only have to put £130-£150 of my own money to it which I can absolutely live with. Should be a pretty well balanced system once done!

EDIT: actually found some better deals so should only have to put £50-£100 of my own money towards it. No brainer!

One of the reasons i like the platform.

This is my card in my mATX case.

Excuse the cables, I hadn't finished tidying them up at that point.
Cool setup man, looking tight.

It does kinda illustrate what I mean, though. Almost all of the 4070Ti cards that are currently available have quite considerable length.
I suspect there are a bunch of ATX cases other than mine where something like a drive bay ends up sitting in the way. Something to take into account when planning.

FOr example, here's the Zotac 4070Ti vs a 4080 Founders Edition:

06cXbs6eOASPDqmbce0Ecbm-8.fit_lim.size_960x.jpg

Cool setup man, looking tight.

It does kinda illustrate what I mean, though. Almost all of the 4070Ti cards that are currently available have quite considerable length.
I suspect there are a bunch of ATX cases other than mine where something like a drive bay ends up sitting in the way. Something to take into account when planning.

FOr example, here's the Zotac 4070Ti vs a 4080 Founders Edition:

06cXbs6eOASPDqmbce0Ecbm-8.fit_lim.size_960x.jpg

It's no longer than variants of the old HD5970, HD6990 and HD7990 and some other older cards I've owned so maybe that's why it feel it's sized OK (The 4GB HD5970 Toxic was a particular monster)

And with me having a mATX case I would prefer the longer card over one that's thicker as it helps with air flow, especially as I still have 53mm left between the end of the card and the fan.

That Zotac card is different to mine, higher SKU?

It's no longer than variants of the old HD5970, HD6990 and HD7990 and some other older cards I've owned so maybe that's why it feel it's sized OK (The 4GB HD5970 Toxic was a particular monster)

And with me having a mATX case I would prefer the longer card over one that's thicker as it helps with air flow, especially as I still have 53mm left between the end of the card and the fan.

That Zotac card is different to mine, higher SKU?

The higher end AiB Variants are larger and around the 350mm length mark and can be >2.5 slots. While lower end 4070ti cards are around the 300mm and 2.5 slots, which is fairly typical of triple fan card sizes for least last 10 years albeit slightly thicker (2->2.5 slots, being somewhat recent since Ampere).

I'm guessing that Zotac variant is there highest end model at 355m and 3.5 slots - https://www.zotac.com/us/product/gr...ing-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-amp-extreme-airo#spec

The other two heatsink/board variants are around 308mm and 2.5 slots -

Just the standard Wraith Prism. Will that not handle it?
5800X3D TDP is 105W and so is the Wraith Prism so its probably ok but I presume its not ideal.
One of the 120mm tower coolers will probably be better for not much dough.

I initially used the dinky little Spire cooler that came with my 5600X but it was clearly throttling at high loads so when I looked I found there are a heap of similar spec 120mm towers of various brands in a very affordable price band & with 150W TDP easily crushes the 5600X TDP.

In my much lower price band for GPUs & with 7xxx mid-range seeming to still be a long way off I nabbed a 6700XT on healthy Boxingday/Newyear discount.
I'd have preferred a 6800 with much more performance on similar TDP but at least in my country 6800/XT have no availability.
6750s all have better coolers than the model I got but a chunk bigger power draw, longer cards & price step-up, all 3 of which are constraints for me.
Undervolt & underclock has it running about same power draw as 5600XT, much cooler -> actually clocks better than stock, definitely handles 4K much better & about as good as I can do at the moment :yes:

This is the cooler: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arc...um-fins-4x-direct-touch-copper-heatpipes-inte

I've changed the stock fans and added some RGB ones, this is what it looks like when it's powered on.

It's not as bright in person as the window on the case is quite heavily tinted and takes away the over brightness from the fans and my phone does a terrible job of picking up the colour of the RGB properly.

I've taken the RGB fans out, they look pretty but the PWM RPM range does not go down low enough for me to the happy with the noise level at idle and light loads.

So put my old Arctic Cooling fans back in that can spin down to 300rpm where as these RGB fans can only go as low as 900rpm.

I'm finally at that age where I prefer a quiet PC which is crazy as I used to be a boy that used 120x38mm fans at 2000rpm for his water cooling radiator and it never bothered me.

Update:

Changed my case as the Lian Li case I was using was choking the 4070ti of air flow as the top of the PSU shroud wasn't vented.

Moved to this and GPU temps (and thus noise) are much better.

Attachments

• New case.jpg
    New case.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 5
Back