Revolution releasing November 2006 - IGN

Teasy

Veteran
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673596p1.html

What exactly does "2006" really mean? We narrow down the launch date.

by Matt Casamassina:

December 5, 2005 - Asking a Nintendo executive for Revolution's official launch date will always yield exactly the same response, which is, simply, "2006." In the past, the Big N's president, Satoru Iwata, explained that the company could not afford to launch after Sony, whose PlayStation 3 could hit retail shelves in Japan as early as March 2006 by some reports. But late last year Nintendo seemed to collectively enable the possibility that Revolution could be last to debut, with execs instead saying that the machine was being positioned to a different market.

Nintendo will very likely reveal the official Revolution launch date to the public at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006 next May in Los Angeles, but developers have already been given a decidedly narrowed time frame. According to studios we spoke with under the condition of anonymity, Nintendo has told them that Revolution will debut in America "during the week of Thanksgiving 2006." This isn't exactly a shocker. We would've pegged the machine to launch on November 18, 2006 -- the same as GameCube five years before it. But even so, it's the most concrete evidence yet of a November debut and it effectively quashes rumors of an early 2006 debut.

Sources we spoke with were unable to divulge whether or not Revolution would enjoy a global launch. However, previous on the record comments from Nintendo of Europe's Jim Merrick indicate that the company would like to release the console everywhere within 14 weeks of initial launch.

Given the "big reveal" of the Rev at E3, an early 2006 release is obviously out of the question. I didn't expect anything but a late 2006 release once I heard N's E3 plans.

Joe DeFuria said:
So, it looks like my "not worldwide" until 2007 prediction may in fact turn out to be correct. ;)

mabye , but then again they could launch in europe over the holidays :)

Joe DeFuria said:
So, it looks like my "not worldwide" until 2007 prediction may in fact turn out to be correct. ;)

Ah but to be exact you said you thought it might release in 2007 everywhere but Japan. But this suggests it will be out in the US in 2006 :D But seriously, I wonder what the chances are of a 65nm CPU based on this release date (assuming the US release in November is the initial Rev launch)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
Ah but to be exact you said you thought it might release in 2007 everywhere but Japan. But this suggests it will be out in the US in 2006 :D But seriously, I wonder what the chances are of a 65nm CPU based on this release date (assuming the US release in November is the initial Rev launch)?

I see 65 nm as a possibility given the time frame. But of course, if it's possible for Nintendo, it's also possible for at least MS to move all or some of its chips as well....so MS will have room to drop the price (core version) to more directly compete with Revolution.

c0_re said:
Nintendo is crazy if they think their going to go up against the PS3
It's true to say that they compete for the same gaming money, on the overall, but both machines are not proposing the same kind of game experiences and probably not at the same price neither.
They're a lot more dissimilar than what GC was to PS2.

Joe DeFuria said:
I see 65 nm as a possibility given the time frame. But of course, if it's possible for Nintendo, it's also possible for at least MS to move all or some of its chips as well....so MS will have room to drop the price (core version) to more directly compete with Revolution.

Nintendo may be able to move first . At launch they will most likely need less quanity than ms will need a year after launch. So 65nm may not ramp up fast enough to really have an impact on that price (or sonys) depending on how late they move . They may both still ahve to be running 90nm lines on the consoles

Vysez said:
It's true to say that they compete for the same gaming money, on the overall, but both machines are not proposing the same kind of game experiences and probably not at the same price neither.
They're a lot more dissimilar than what GC was to PS2.

I tottally agree but 90% of the public are idiots when it comes to technology and their all game systems as far as most people are concerned. I mean when people ask me what game system is best for their kids, my first question is how old are your kids and will you be playing it too?

I was thinking more about the heat advantages of 65nm rather then price, though of course price is always a good thing to cut as well :)

Joe DeFuria said:

Only company that will be in volume production of 65 nm in 2006 is Intel. AMD might make it by the end of 2006. TSMC and most foundries are running 18-24 months behind Intel. I don't think that consoles will go 65 nm until sometime in mid to late 07.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

aaronspink said:
Only company that will be in volume production of 65 nm in 2006 is Intel. AMD might make it by the end of 2006. TSMC and most foundries are running 18-24 months behind Intel. I don't think that consoles will go 65 nm until sometime in mid to late 07.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

What about Sony?

aaronspink said:

I always thought Intel was more like 12 months ahead. Mid '07 is about the latest I would expect to see 65nm console parts from IBM and TSMC.

aaronspink said:

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Didn't toshiba launch a 65nm processor a few months ago? I'd think they should at least be aiming to get volume production sometime in 2k6.

mckmas8808 said:
What about Sony?

As I said, after Intel, the next semi company doing volume logic in 65nm will likely be AMD. At best sony might hit the very very end of 06 or early 07.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Joe DeFuria said:
I always thought Intel was more like 12 months ahead. Mid '07 is about the latest I would expect to see 65nm console parts from IBM and TSMC.

Intel started 65nm volume production about the same time that TSMC started 90nm volume production. Intel is more than 12 months ahead of TSMC. TSMC will probably get to volume 65nm production in 07. IBM might be able to hit end of 06.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

aaronspink said:
As I said, after Intel, the next semi company doing volume logic in 65nm will likely be AMD. At best sony might hit the very very end of 06 or early 07.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Okay I agree with that. That seems reasonable.

Back