IGN Wii rumours

specially if we consider that most early adopter would probably have a GC anyway.

I would say that's a huge false assumption. I'm sure a signifigant portion of early adopters will not own the GC at all. It has a low pricepoint which will encourage casual gamers, it has an entirely new control scheme which should attract gamers who were not attracted to GC.

I think the 'early adopter' thing goes out the window when your launch price is $229. You don't have to be a hardcore gamer to buy a console at that price.

Isn't it confirmed that N was including a standard controller for use with their arcade classics at the very least?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no way the inclusion of a standard controller would hurt the Wii remote.

The remote will still be used, without it there's little to no reason besides price for a developer to look at the Wii. So I think we'll see no problems with a developer shying away from the remote even if the standard is included.

I see no way the inclusion of a standard controller would hurt the Wii remote.

The remote will still be used, without it there's little to no reason besides price for a developer to look at the Wii. So I think we'll see no problems with a developer shying away from the remote even if the standard is included.

The problem is if the "standard" controller is included (I hate that phrase, the Wiimote is the standard controller for the Wii) then what incentive do developers have to spend extra time and effort customizing their games for the Wiimote?

Sure some would, but many would take the easy way out, and not bother if they had a standard gamepad type controller to use instead.

When you guys say "standard controller" you're talking about the "Classic Controller" that connects to the "Wii Remote", right?

If so, including it should be a requirement if Nintendo wants the Virtual Console with all the NES and SNES games to take off.

Tommy McClain

When you guys say "standard controller" you're talking about the "Classic Controller" that connects to the "Wii Remote", right?

If so, including it should be a requirement if Nintendo wants the Virtual Console with all the NES and SNES games to take off.

Tommy McClain

For NES games, you can hold the Wii sideways, and it looks just like a NES controller. SNES is another matter, of course.

The problem is if the "standard" controller is included (I hate that phrase, the Wiimote is the standard controller for the Wii) then what incentive do developers have to spend extra time and effort customizing their games for the Wiimote?

Sure some would, but many would take the easy way out, and not bother if they had a standard gamepad type controller to use instead.

According to Game Informer the new Smash Bros game will already being doing exactly that, as the designer feels the Wiimote is too touchy for the game.

Why not just use a GC controler?

Good question. But some will be new adopters, non-GC owners. So sone who buys a Nintendo console for the first time he will have a standard controller in the box.

Maybe, but it still seems like quite a stretch, not to mention one heck of a gamble.
Probably. If we assume it uses similar components to the GC perhaps that would explain the fast production since they were already producing them. But I dont know if thats the case. But it could since the E3 games were connected through GC dev kits.

How similar is Wii's architecture to the GC's btw?

According to Game Informer the new Smash Bros game will already being doing exactly that, as the designer feels the Wiimote is too touchy for the game.

Which leads us back to the ultimate problem with the wii, which is that it's underpowered compared to its contemporaries. The only benefit of the console is the control scheme. If you remove that from the equation, you have a seriously weak unit.

Which leads us back to the ultimate problem with the wii, which is that it's underpowered compared to its contemporaries. The only benefit of the console is the control scheme. If you remove that from the equation, you have a seriously weak unit.

Price. Virtual Console. Nintendo Games. Size. Power savings.

Just to name a few.

Nintendo wanted to provide a new way to interact with games that allowed further evolution of them, all at a very affordable price. It makes sense to me.

Price. Virtual Console. Nintendo Games. Size. Power savings.

Just to name a few.

Nintendo wanted to provide a new way to interact with games that allowed further evolution of them, all at a very affordable price. It makes sense to me.

The virtual console will be an advantage but the others were the same with gc and I don't expect them to have a big impact. The big impact will be selling this thing to consumers who have been outside of gaming and either had great fun with an original nintendo or haven't touched a game system ever. If they can successfully advertise Wii in unusual places outside of traditional games shops then they will rake in the sales.

Nintendo gamers will buy of course but the real growth is in the general public that aren't gamers now. A game like singstar would be huge for this as it fits the demographic. A pack-in game of wii sports would go over well as those that are buying it because of positive talk might not like the experience if the game they happen to pickup turns them off of the system from the get-go by choosing a crap game from a 3rd party that doesnt suit the system well.

Didn't the GC have the price advantage last gen?

Virtual Console. Nintendo Games.

Aren't those the same thing?

Size. Power savings.

Right, because size matters.. that's why the Xbox failed in Japan and the PS2 did so well... only, Sony apparently didn't think so, did they?

And who cares about power savings? Ma and Pa gamer really examine their energy bills before and after purchasing a console.

Sure. And the inclusion/existence of a standard controller reveals that Ninendo understands that not all game types will benefit from this 'new way to interact'. Which means for all of those game types the wii will suffer immensely when comparisons are made to its contemporaries.

It also increases the liklihood that after this first wave of games are released, only games that truly benefit from the 'new way to interact' will utilize the 'new way to interact' and all the rest will utilize the standard controller.

The Gamecube was marketing failure. As a design it was rock solid and by far better than the other two players. Size, power, and controls it beat the Xbox and PS2.

And Virtual Console is not the same as Nintendo games, virtual consoles means access to tons of old games in a legal manner (imagine, some people like being legal). Nintendo games refers to sequels or new series that take full advantage of the hardware.

Yes, size does matter.

But, but, but, I have been assured by many forum members here that the sensitivity is adjustable.

And just how many controllers is this thing going to ship with? The Wiimote, "Classic" controller, and Nuchuka controller, plus sensor bars? I thought the whole idea of the Wii was to make things easier for the non-gamer.

Good question. But some will be new adopters, non-GC owners. So sone who buys a Nintendo console for the first time he will have a standard controller in the box.

Still, there is just one game anunced that will use it (SSB:B) and just for VC it seems a bit to much, it should be at least 2 packages.

Personally I think if they are investing in a boundle only, they should be boundle games like WiiSports that incarnates the substance of wii and VC games that dont need a extra controler so everyone gets used (specially no gamers).

But, but, but, I have been assured by many forum members here that the sensitivity is adjustable.

That is true, IIRC that isnt the reason theygave (not in EGM, dont recal here?), meybe is just bad wording.

And just how many controllers is this thing going to ship with? The Wiimote, "Classic" controller, and Nuchuka controller, plus sensor bars? I thought the whole idea of the Wii was to make things easier for the non-gamer.

You forgot the Zapper;) , anyway agree. Their main weapon is the remote if they downplay it they will have nothing.

I think the acceptance of "Wii games" will eventually decide what portion of games uses the Wiimote.

I see Wii as a "party game" game console, providing intensive, short fun for a group of people. All of the action for a traditional console games are on the screen. With Wii, some of those attention is brought back to the players themselves. So It's a different kind of fun.

e.g., If Nintendo's wiikaraoke.com website is realized, then Wii can also replace existing, complex karaoke experiences (Yeah, I can't operate one properly... even in one of those KTV rooms). The other reason I bring up karaoke here is because it falls into the kind of party game I have in mind when I think of Wii (It brings out the players' personality). All in all, I feel pretty up-beat about Wii's popularity.

My only complains about Wii are:
* Arms may get tiring after 10-15 minutes of action (which might be all that's needed for busy people today)
* Yes, the antenna and Wiimote setup which may make my living room look like a lab.

As for the price of USD229.00, I will probably look at the launch games and how well they play first before buying. In particular, I will let my wife and kid experience it in-store first. I think it's a different buying experience from say a PS3 or Xbox 360, where I get to call the shot alone (mostly). Well... I may have to hide the PS3/Xbox 360 under the bed for a few days until she finds it :)

My only complains about Wii are:
* Arms may get tiring after 10-15 minutes of action (which might be all that's needed for busy people today)
Perhaps Wii will give lonely males ages 17-30 another activity to help develop wrist strength...

(edit: please don't ban me)

LOL. I said arms. ARMS ! A. R. M. S.

Ok I didn't mean to imply that all Wii-oriented games are going to be 10-15 minutes per session. The traditional gaming capability is still there for long sessions, or some sort of hybrid model can be used to good effect.

Back