Sony: PS3 Issues 'Resolved', 1mil By End Of 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

JardeL

Regular
On the heels of video game hardware and software U.S. sales numbers for November released yesterday by NPD, Sony's PR head David Karraker has issued a statement noting that the company is “very pleased†with the data, adding that manufacturing problems that ham stringed the production of the PlayStation 3 at launch “have been resolved.â€

NPD data found that following the November 17 launch of the PlayStation 3 in North America, Sony had only shipped 197,000 units during its debut month rather than the earlier projected 400,000. However, Karraker reiterated in the official statement that both he and Sony “remain focused on having one million PS3's in the pipeline by December 31, 2006,†while at the same time echoing Sony's earlier commitment to airlift consoles to retail outlets within North America for the remainder of the year.

In addition, despite the somewhat anemic PlayStation 3 hardware sales numbers, Sony expressed enthusiasm over the performance of both its entrenched PlayStation 2 console as well as its PSP handheld. NPD data found that the PlayStation 2 continued strong performance in November with 664,000 units sold, while the PSP lagged behind both the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance in handhelds sold for the month with 412,000 units.

“These figures clearly demonstrate the strength of the PlayStation family of products in the US market,†commented Karraker in the official statement. “PlayStation 3 remains one of the most sought after items this holiday season, selling through almost immediately in all retailers once placed on store shelves. We will continue to utilize airfreight delivery for PlayStation 3 to assure a steady stream of systems for North American consumers through the end of the year. And while initial day-one launch shipment goals weren't achievable due to early manufacturing issues, those problems have been resolved and we do remain focused on having one million PS3's in the pipeline by December 31, 2006.â€

He added: “The six-year old PlayStation 2 continues to dominate the market, outselling all other computer entertainment systems in November, including much newer systems from the competition. PS2 also topped the software category, out pacing all other system's sales by almost three times. PSP (PlayStation Portable Player) had a very good November as well, seeing a jump in sales of nearly 50% and a strong increase in software sell-through. These sales figures bode very well for SCEA as it offers a computer entertainment system for every taste and budget this holiday season.â€
I also saw messages on other forums about PS3's availability at NA ... Bad news for PS3 ebay sellers ...

Untill I see it I won't believe it. How many times in the past has sony stated they fixed the production problems or something to that extent. They would have to deliver what some 150k-200k a week to get the the million mark. If the problems are truely fixed great for sony if this is another bull statement to get people to not buy a wii and 360 while they sort out the production problems then shame on them.

there is ~350.00ps3 out they have to ship 650.000 in three weeks....

Sony will never learn... they want to be even more ridiculous...
Instead of take account of their problems, make a clear road map for the ps3 update, dev tools, etc... and execute, they 're still in the "the ps3 are coming don't buy the 360 or the wii" Pr who fail, it chrismass people have to buy something... They could react show people and industry they are working in the good direction.
Sometime I hope sony will take a huge backslashp and will stop thinking consumer are so stupîd.

I trust a single word of this PR...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is the third time that I've heard Sony state that their production problems have been solved.

The first two times were before they shipped less than 300k of the 400k NA launch units they had promised us.

I'll believe their production problems have been solved when I can walk into a Best Buy and see a couple of them sitting on the shelves. The same metric I used with the 360, which didn't happen until around May, I believe.

If true that would be great news for Sony since this would mean lots of sales during the holiday season

Note the careful wording again.

"We hope to have 1 million consoles in the pipeline by the end of the year"

Note they don't say "in North America", they just say "in the pipeline", so if you read it strictly, they mean worldwide, which of course is halving their shipment estimations made recently.

Split between regions, that would put the US at 500K if they give some lovin to Japan (and keep to the original end of year allocation ratios), or 800K if they keep the original specced launch ratios.

Funny how this "resolves" their issues. It was just months ago they were saying 4M, and just last month 2M. And now "fixed" is 1M. Interesting spin...

Makes you wonder where they're going to get supply from for the European launch if they dont axe supply to already starved regions.

Funny how this "resolves" their issues. It was just months ago they were saying 4M, and just last month 2M. And now "fixed" is 1M. Interesting spin...
Well if they are already behind, just "fixing" their intended production-rate wont "fix" their totals. If you are running behind someone else you cant catch up if you finally manage to run at the same speed either.

Note they don't say "in North America", they just say "in the pipeline", so if you read it strictly, they mean worldwide, which of course is halving their shipment estimations made recently.
That's a good point. "in the pipeline" doesn't even have to mean shipped. It could be the total for which they have the parts and can commence manufacturing.

If you give a graphics card a triangle to draw, once it's read by the GPU it's in the pipeline. Of course, your pixels won't come out into memory until thousands of clocks later. ;)

On the other hand, they could be telling the truth and PS3's really do come at 200,000 per week starting today. :LOL:

According to the Babelfish translator (PR to english), this translates roughly into:

SONY: There will be sooooo many PS3's at Xmas that you really don't need to go out and buy X360's and Wii's. You still won't find any PS3's outside of eBay, but really, there is no need for you to go and buy our competitors' products! Believe us!

A couple of weeks ago they also said issues were resolved and they would ship 2mil units by the end of the year. I dont believe it untill I see it.

A couple of weeks ago they also said issues were resolved and they would ship 2mil units by the end of the year. I dont believe it untill I see it.

Hey come on now, it was 4M, then 2M, now 1M... Eventually they will get to the right number! At least we know they're getting closer and closer with each announcement, it's almost like they're getting more honest each time! :LOL:

excuse me but all of you are wrong. :)
What you have to understand is :
"2007 doesn't begin until we have 1 million units on the market."

lolololol :arrow:

Last edited by a moderator:
This just in:

Blu Ray standalone players have mysteriously stopped shipping. Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back