Resogun [PS4] [free on console launch via PS+]

interesting stuff they are doing on the GPU and looking great.
But I wonder what the 6 Jaguar cores are doing? Physics adn collisions are on gpu, graphics aswell, sound has some hardware processing in the ps4... and the core gameplay doesnt seem like if would stress a single core.

It's definitely on my play list!! Stardust on my Vita is probably the most played game I have. And this looks just old school enough to be a modern nostalgia trip!!

Interesting interview with housemarque

GearNuke: What form of anti-aliasing and lighting system are you using for Resogun?

Seppo Halonen: When it comes to antialiasing we are using FXAA. The lighting system is 100% deferred with HDR, SSAO, dynamic shadows and all the jazz with some screenspace reflections and dynamic color grading thrown in as well. We believe this is the first 60fps console game with all that.

GearNuke: Given the strong emphasis on GPU compute in Resogun, was there ever a point in development where you had to hold back on certain render-heavy visual effects due to real-time destruction on a massive scale?

Seppo Halonen: Yes and no. We experimented on a number of render-heavy things and decided they did not sync with the look we wanted for the game. So some effects were toned down here and there but this was mostly to avoid visual clutter. There’s a point where the human eye can’t keep track on the number of moving objects, and we probably still well over that.

GearNuke: Many other developers seem to agree that GPU compute is a key element of next-gen games development. Resogun makes a great case in favor of the technology. What kind of avenues do you see it opening up for games in the future?

Seppo Halonen: I think many big studios are going to stay on the safe ground and go for more realism – improved lighting and materials and fluid and cloth physics and so on. Crazy indies like us are usually tasked to open up new avenues, as we need something unique to pop out from the white noise. For big titles it is a big risk, but for relatively small-budget games it becomes an opportunity.

GearNuke: How do you find this new change in hardware? The PS3 had a strong CPU and a weak GPU but now PS4 has a strong GPU and weak CPU. What do you have to say about this?

Seppo Halonen: The balance of power is different, sure, but unlocking the full power of PS3 CPU was something only few people managed to pull off. And I will take compute shaders over SPUs any day of the week, thank you.

GearNuke: While Stereoscopic 3D hasn’t really been accepted by the masses, Super Stardust HD made a fantastic case in favor of the technology. Are there any plans to offer the same support for Resogun, post-release?

Seppo Halonen: We have long term plans to support the game with DLCs and updates, but at this point we cannot reveal anything specific. We are looking into a lot of options at the moment.

GearNuke: The recent install size for PS4 games like Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall has caused quite a ruckus. Given that Resogun is a digital only title, can you give us any estimated install size for the final build of the game?

Seppo Halonen: There is nothing to worry about there. The game is well under a gigabyte, so size-wise we are rather modest.

GearNuke: Is it even possible to see a stripped down version of Resogun on VITA?

Seppo Halonen: The right question is, would it still be Resogun?

I liked the answer about SPUs :D

I agree, and also I'm not so surprised. Despite the complexity of using that kind of technology in general, CUs must still be much, much easier to work with.

There’s a point where the human eye can’t keep track on the number of moving objects, and we probably still well over that.
Yep! I can't get along with modern shooters. Way too much clutter. Old school 8 bit shooters had everything on screen such that you could follow it. One hit and you died. Modern shooters are so messy you can't follow everything going on, and they balance that with health bars. The fluidity of motion in R-Type was remarkable gameplay. With the scrolling environment and clouds of shots and moving enemies, I was having to think and execute complex paths. Maybe the modern gamer can do that with the crazy particles of modern shooters,. but it seems to me it's more about timing items and shields and the like.

The game is well under a gigabyte, so size-wise we are rather modest.
Whaaa....?

I'm guessing because of the voxel-based level construction, that there aren't nearly as many "actual" assets as other games? (I'm not making that up, am I? Voxels are generated at render time, right?)

Whaaa....?

I'm guessing because of the voxel-based level construction, that there aren't nearly as many "actual" assets as other games? (I'm not making that up, am I? Voxels are generated at render time, right?)

The future is procedurally generated voxels!! I'm really looking forward to this.

Whaaa....?

It's a side scrolling shooter with very limited environments. It doesn't have masses of textures and models for huge worlds. For a side-scrolling shooter, on a small circular world, 1 GB is massive.

Back