Resident Evil 5

No it didnt. Nothing touches what Resi1 and 2 where in their prime.

Since Resident Evil 4, it's just another game with the same title. It transformed into a shoot em up action game with almost non-existing horror and non-existing morbid atmosphere. 4 actually carries with it what started to ruin the series since 3. Weaponry and action began to be the primary focus of the series after 2. The only thing that saved the series was a new control scheme. The only thing I welcome from 4. Having a ton of weapons in my inventory, being able to find bullets easily and being able to kick away any group of enemies with one hit regardless of size as if they were puppets isnt what I call "survival horror". There were times where I was surrounded by 4 normal ganados and 2 gigantic armored ones. I shot one on the head and performed a melee. They all fell 3 meters away from me as if I kicked weightless midgets. It started to get annoying especially when the enemies had weapons including machine guns. It played like a faster Splinter Cell minus the stealth and complicated controls. The music started well and became action too. I thought I was controlling Rambo or Chuck Norris.

Wow! I couldn't have said it better. Resident Evil 4 was a great game (in its own way), but it wasn't the survival horror game I loved with part 1 to 3. The atmosphere in part 1 and 2 were in a league of its own (well maybe Silent Hill is one of the games that are on the same level, but the two aren't directly comparable IMO). I really miss those two games. If Capcom would make another Resident Evil akin to the first to parts, I reckon they could turn up the graphics and gore even more, due to small rooms, fewer enemies, darker and more gritty setting.

I'd call RE4 horror-action, not surivival horror.

PC version hasn't been officially announced. It will probably arrive 'some time' after the console versions.

Wow! I couldn't have said it better. Resident Evil 4 was a great game (in its own way), but it wasn't the survival horror game I loved with part 1 to 3. The atmosphere in part 1 and 2 were in a league of its own (well maybe Silent Hill is one of the games that are on the same level, but the two aren't directly comparable IMO). I really miss those two games. If Capcom would make another Resident Evil akin to the first to parts, I reckon they could turn up the graphics and gore even more, due to small rooms, fewer enemies, darker and more gritty setting.

I'd call RE4 horror-action, not surivival horror.

Completely agree. I'll never forget the enjoyment I got out of RE1 - the first game I got on my PSX way back in the day. So many moments that cut out a new genre. I didn't like 3, but I really enjoyed Code Veronica, too.

I'll buy 5 - but it's RE in name only.

The North American demo for X360 will be out next week and even though I've already played the Japanese demo I'm gonna download it to try out the coop mode.

Very much looking forward to the RE5 demo, like some others I wasn't of the "OMG RE4 is teh game of the year bestest thing ever !!!!!" brigade but I did enjoy it.

Maybe slightly OT but I'd be quite happy to see the best Resident Evil given a next gen REmake style make over. And yes I'm talking about RE2.

Very much looking forward to the RE5 demo, like some others I wasn't of the "OMG RE4 is teh game of the year bestest thing ever !!!!!" brigade but I did enjoy it.

Maybe slightly OT but I'd be quite happy to see the best Resident Evil given a next gen REmake style make over. And yes I'm talking about RE2.

I was thinking about the same thing as well!!

How much I d love to see that one remade.

Capcom: Resident Evil 5 can still “loosely be considered a survival horror game”

http://www.videogaming247.com/2009/01/26/capcom-resident-evil-5-can-still-loosely-be-considered-a-survival-horror-game/

Resident Evil 5 360 demo is now live

Capcom’s impossibly good looking Resident Evil 5 demo is now available to download from Xbox Marketplace for Xbox Live Gold subscribers.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2009/01/26/resident-evil-5-360-demo-is-now-live/

Too bad I downloaded that demo like a month ago when it went live in Japan, with my Japanese Live account..

Pitfalls of being a nerd with no life, I guess..

Damn this game looks real nice. Sigh, already have 11 games on my shelf I haven't been able to get to, guess it's gonna be 12 soon :) Looks like it'll be a great fun coop.

The HDD can be used to save the position of the dead bodies in each area.

Don't need an hdd for that, saving body positions takes mere bytes of memory even with dozens of bodies. They likely disappear for performance reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the online coop mode....very fun..much more fun than the SP with AI controlled Sheva. Coop play makes the game easier too since your partner can be far away doing their own thing. The village stage looks absolutely amazing.

Like RE4, the player models are incredibly detailed. I don't think there is a player model in any game that looks that good.

Main characters models are great can't say so much about the environment will be first day for me. Its been a while since I played a Resident evil game definitely a different pace than what Iam use to with the series.

Uncharted and MGS4 are on a par I'd say. Hair on Drake is certainly just as good.

I don't know. I think Drake is animated more fluidly, but I think the level of detail on the RE5 characters is in a league of its own. I guess its been a while since I played Uncharted. Maybe I'll download the demo tonight and compare.

I don't know. I think Drake is animated more fluidly, but I think the level of detail on the RE5 characters is in a league of its own. I guess its been a while since I played Uncharted. Maybe I'll download the demo tonight and compare.

No. They're about the same. Hair on Drake is definitely better. How many poly's do you think Chris is? Drake is around 30-35,000.

No. They're about the same. Hair on Drake is definitely better. How many poly's do you think Chris is? Drake is around 30-35,000.

Ha ha ha, I like how definitive your answer is ;) No idea on poly counts.

Co-op is really fun. I was doing local co-op with a friend and the presentation is a little odd at first. They didn't split the screen, exactly. There are two panes with the correct aspect ratio, one on top of the other, with the top biased left with the bottom biased right. Have a picture in your mind? It's kind of strange because it doesn't use up the full screen, but I appreciate that you get the exact field of view and aspect ratio as you would in single player, although in a much smaller package. Anyway, it was a great time and it took us a little while to figure out how to work as a team and which inventory to share etc.

Oh and the aiming is SLOW. Even set to "fastest" the aiming is much slower than most shooters. Set it to "slowest" if you want a good laugh.

The new melee attacks are pretty cool.

Back